    I would be grateful for any suggestions put forward.

    Ta
    John

    Fitzy_bhoy, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Fitzy_bhoy

    ICee Guest

    Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
    > I have an Abit kt7 motherboard with 2 hard drives on the 1st channel
    > and a DVDRW and ROM on the 2nd channel. The hd's have been very
    > sluggish and I only recently noticed that when the computer starts up
    > it reports the drives as running at ATA33. I am pretty certain that
    > this used to bee 133. I tried to change this in the BIOS but couldn't
    > see a setting for it. I disconnected the primary slave to see if that
    > improved performance, but the computer does not recognise the Primary
    > master unless there is a primary slave attached also. It's as if the
    > master is dependant on the slave.
    >
    > I have replaced the battery on the motherboard around 2 months ago but
    > hasn't really helped. Is the motherboard on its way out or the hd(s).
    >
    > I would be grateful for any suggestions put forward.
    >
    > Ta
    > John

    The KT7 can transfer data at ATA66 speed, maximum. What are the drives?
    It's possible they only transfer data at ATA33 speed. Try another IDE
    cable, and make sure the drives are jumpered as master and slave.
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=92

    ICee, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Fitzy_bhoy

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:10:05 +0100, Fitzy_bhoy wrote:

    > I have an Abit kt7 motherboard with 2 hard drives on the 1st channel and a
    > DVDRW and ROM on the 2nd channel. The hd's have been very sluggish and I
    > only recently noticed that when the computer starts up it reports the drives
    > as running at ATA33. I am pretty certain that this used to bee 133. I tried
    > to change this in the BIOS but couldn't see a setting for it.

    It only supports ATA66 and it also requires an ATA66 cable (80 wire), or
    it will default back to ATA33 (or should).

    > I disconnected the primary slave to see if that improved performance,
    > but the computer does not recognise the Primary master unless there is a
    > primary slave attached also. It's as if the master is dependant on the
    > slave.

    It is unless you reconfigure it for single drive mode. If you want to be
    able to remove drives like this, configure both drives for CS (Cable
    Select), then they will master/Slave depending on which connector you plug
    them into.

    > I have replaced the battery on the motherboard around 2 months ago but
    > hasn't really helped. Is the motherboard on its way out or the hd(s).

    I assume you have all set to Auto in bios.

    Wes Newell, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Fitzy_bhoy

    Fitzy_bhoy Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
    > > I have an Abit kt7 motherboard with 2 hard drives on the 1st channel
    > > and a DVDRW and ROM on the 2nd channel. The hd's have been very
    > > sluggish and I only recently noticed that when the computer starts up
    > > it reports the drives as running at ATA33. I am pretty certain that
    > > this used to bee 133. I tried to change this in the BIOS but couldn't
    > > see a setting for it. I disconnected the primary slave to see if that
    > > improved performance, but the computer does not recognise the Primary
    > > master unless there is a primary slave attached also. It's as if the
    > > master is dependant on the slave.
    > >
    > > I have replaced the battery on the motherboard around 2 months ago but
    > > hasn't really helped. Is the motherboard on its way out or the hd(s).
    > >
    > > I would be grateful for any suggestions put forward.
    > >
    > > Ta
    > > John

    > The KT7 can transfer data at ATA66 speed, maximum. What are the drives?

    The master drive is:

    http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=16844

    the slave is:

    A Western Digital Cavier 40GB

    Fitzy_bhoy, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Fitzy_bhoy

    ICee Guest

    Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
    >>> I have an Abit kt7 motherboard with 2 hard drives on the 1st channel
    >>> and a DVDRW and ROM on the 2nd channel. The hd's have been very
    >>> sluggish and I only recently noticed that when the computer starts
    >>> up it reports the drives as running at ATA33. I am pretty certain
    >>> that this used to bee 133. I tried to change this in the BIOS but
    >>> couldn't see a setting for it. I disconnected the primary slave to
    >>> see if that improved performance, but the computer does not
    >>> recognise the Primary master unless there is a primary slave
    >>> attached also. It's as if the master is dependant on the slave.
    >>>
    >>> I have replaced the battery on the motherboard around 2 months ago
    >>> but hasn't really helped. Is the motherboard on its way out or the
    >>> hd(s).
    >>>
    >>> I would be grateful for any suggestions put forward.
    >>>
    >>> Ta
    >>> John

    >> The KT7 can transfer data at ATA66 speed, maximum. What are the
    >> drives?

    > The master drive is:
    >
    > http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=16844
    >
    > the slave is:
    >
    > A Western Digital Cavier 40GB

    The Maxtor is capable of ATA133, the WD probably is at least ATA100, but
    since the KT7 is only capable of ATA66, you won't get any higher than
    that. In any case, try a new 80 conductor IDE cable. Also defrag the
    drives.

    ICee, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Fitzy_bhoy

    Fitzy_bhoy Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > >> The KT7 can transfer data at ATA66 speed, maximum. What are the
    > >> drives?

    > > The master drive is:
    > >
    > > http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=16844
    > >
    > > the slave is:
    > >
    > > A Western Digital Cavier 40GB

    > The Maxtor is capable of ATA133, the WD probably is at least ATA100, but
    > since the KT7 is only capable of ATA66, you won't get any higher than
    > that. In any case, try a new 80 conductor IDE cable. Also defrag the
    > drives.

    Thanks, I've already defragged the drives about 4 times this week. but to no
    avail

    Fitzy_bhoy, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Fitzy_bhoy

    Fitzy_bhoy Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:10:05 +0100, Fitzy_bhoy wrote:
    >
    > > I have an Abit kt7 motherboard with 2 hard drives on the 1st channel and

    > > DVDRW and ROM on the 2nd channel. The hd's have been very sluggish and I
    > > only recently noticed that when the computer starts up it reports the

    drives
    > > as running at ATA33. I am pretty certain that this used to bee 133. I

    tried
    > > to change this in the BIOS but couldn't see a setting for it.

    > It only supports ATA66 and it also requires an ATA66 cable (80 wire), or
    > it will default back to ATA33 (or should).
    >
    > > I disconnected the primary slave to see if that improved performance,
    > > but the computer does not recognise the Primary master unless there is a
    > > primary slave attached also. It's as if the master is dependant on the
    > > slave.
    > >

    > It is unless you reconfigure it for single drive mode. If you want to be
    > able to remove drives like this, configure both drives for CS (Cable
    > Select), then they will master/Slave depending on which connector you plug
    > them into.

    I thought one had to be master and one had to be slave. I always wondered
    what CS was for.
    I'll give it a go

    > > I have replaced the battery on the motherboard around 2 months ago but
    > > hasn't really helped. Is the motherboard on its way out or the hd(s).
    > >

    > I assume you have all set to Auto in bios.

    Yes, most things are auto in the BIOS, my knowledge isn't extensive enough
    to change these settings

    Fitzy_bhoy, Aug 4, 2004