Hard drives not seen by PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vass, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. Vass

    Vass Guest

    I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine

    I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by his
    PC

    So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
    recognise
    there is a hard disc present.

    I have tried booting with a start up floppy and tried to run scandisk but
    the cmos simply does not know the drive is there.

    Even booting to a Windows CD will not allow scandisk or any tool to see the
    drive.

    The same thing happens with his other HDD (they are both 40Gb Maxtor IDE's)

    My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs.

    I guess the hard drives have lost some info that allows them to be seen, I'm
    confident jumbers are set correctly on them.

    Any ideas how I can bring them back to life? I have no idea of their history
    so do not know what might have happenned to them

    TIA

    --
    Vass

    Vass, Jan 14, 2007

  2. Vass

    philo Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message
    > I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
    >
    > I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by

    his
    > PC
    >
    > So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
    > recognise
    > there is a hard disc present.

    If you have two separate machines that cannot access the drives...
    you may assume they are history!

    With expensive lab work the data might still be retrievable...
    but it's probably not worth it

    philo, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Vass

    bronco Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message
    >I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
    >
    > I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by
    > his PC
    >
    > So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
    > recognise
    > there is a hard disc present.
    >
    > I have tried booting with a start up floppy and tried to run scandisk but
    > the cmos simply does not know the drive is there.
    >
    > Even booting to a Windows CD will not allow scandisk or any tool to see
    > the drive.
    >
    > The same thing happens with his other HDD (they are both 40Gb Maxtor
    > IDE's)
    >
    > My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs.
    >
    > I guess the hard drives have lost some info that allows them to be seen,
    > I'm confident jumbers are set correctly on them.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can bring them back to life? I have no idea of their
    > history so do not know what might have happenned to them
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Vass

    You need to go in to the BIOS and do the autodetect for hard drives.

    bronco, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Vass

    Vass Guest

    >>bronco" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > You need to go in to the BIOS and do the autodetect for hard drives.

    miss this bit did you?
    " My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs."

    Vass, Jan 14, 2007
  5. On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:16:40 -0600, philo wrote:

    > "Vass" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
    >>
    >> I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by

    > his
    >> PC
    >>
    >> So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
    >> recognise
    >> there is a hard disc present.
    >>

    > If you have two separate machines that cannot access the drives...
    > you may assume they are history!
    >
    > With expensive lab work the data might still be retrievable...
    > but it's probably not worth it

    For a less expensive solution google:

    freezer "damaged hard disk"

    this will give some results documenting the "freezer trick"

    Intrepid Logic, Jan 14, 2007
  6. Vass

    Gnasher Guest

    Have you tried CD (cable decides) mode?

    Gnasher, Jan 14, 2007
  7. "Vass" <> wrote in message

    >>>bronco" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> You need to go in to the BIOS and do the autodetect for hard drives.

    > miss this bit did you?
    > " My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs."

    On some machines, the process of detecting newly added hard disks only
    happens when you go into the BIOS and tell it to detect them. Sometimes
    "AUTO" just means it will read the drive parameters instead of you
    having to enter them manually. Certainly worth a try.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Jan 14, 2007
  8. Vass

    Vass Guest

    "Gnasher" <> wrote in message
    > Have you tried CD (cable decides) mode?

    yes, even tried slave mode with my working HD booting to XP, but doesnt as
    CMOS stops boot at start complaining IDE not recognised
    --
    Vass

    Vass, Jan 14, 2007
  9. Vass

    1932 Guest

    "Vass" <> wrote in message
    >I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
    >
    > I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by
    > his PC

    And what Exactly are those two drives ?.

    1932, Jan 14, 2007
  10. Vass

    Ben Myers Guest

    Maxtor has installation software available for download.

    http://tinyurl.com/3nz9y

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 14, 2007
  11. Vass

    philo Guest

    > > With expensive lab work the data might still be retrievable...
    > > but it's probably not worth it

    > For a less expensive solution google:
    >
    > freezer "damaged hard disk"
    >
    > this will give some results documenting the "freezer trick"

    I've tried that method many times...it usually does not work,
    but it did once...
    so it can't hurt to try

    philo, Jan 14, 2007
  12. On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:39:24 -0600, philo wrote:

    >> > With expensive lab work the data might still be retrievable...
    >> > but it's probably not worth it

    >> For a less expensive solution google:
    >>
    >> freezer "damaged hard disk"
    >>
    >> this will give some results documenting the "freezer trick"

    > I've tried that method many times...it usually does not work,
    > but it did once...
    > so it can't hurt to try

    If the freezer trick doesn't work, then the hard disk is *completely*
    fucked (as opposed to a bit fucked).

    Backups!

    Intrepid Logic, Jan 14, 2007
  13. Vass

    old man Guest

    The hd's have deceased

    old man, Jan 15, 2007
  14. Vass

    Vass Guest

    "1932" <> wrote >>
    > And what Exactly are those two drives ?.

    ffs!

    Vass, Jan 15, 2007