HARD DRIVES LOVE THE 20D !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Christopher Pollard, Oct 19, 2004

  3. David J. Littleboy, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Annika1980

    GT40 Guest

    GT40, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Gary Eickmeier, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Annika1980

    GT40 Guest

    On 19 Oct 2004 17:45:25 GMT, (Annika1980) wrote:

    >>From: Gary Eickmeier

    >>http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/14770826/original

    >>David J - WHAT is all that noise? Holy shit!

    >That's grain and from what I've heard from the film lovers, it's supposed to be
    >a good thing.

    Grain isn't a good thing in film.

    GT40, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Annika1980

    You know who Guest

    > "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    >
    > > You'll need plenty of hard drive space when you start uploading all

    these
    > > glorious huge images like this one from your new 20D.
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35241384/original

    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/14770826/original
    >
    > My 12MP flower still eats your measly 8MP flower. Nyaa nyaa<g>.

    Yours does seem to have more detail. But maybe the 8MP just needs a little
    sharpening?

    You know who, Oct 19, 2004
  10. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/14770826/original
    > >
    > > My 12MP flower still eats your measly 8MP flower. Nyaa nyaa<g>.

    > David J - WHAT is all that noise? Holy shit!

    Oversharpening and me being too lazy to mask out the sky.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 19, 2004
  11. "You know who" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    > > "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > You'll need plenty of hard drive space when you start uploading all

    > these
    > > > glorious huge images like this one from your new 20D.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35241384/original

    > > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/14770826/original
    > >
    > > My 12MP flower still eats your measly 8MP flower. Nyaa nyaa<g>.

    > Yours does seem to have more detail. But maybe the 8MP just needs a little
    > sharpening?

    Or the film a bit less<g>?

    At 4000 dpi, 645 (cropped to 1:1.414, 56x39mm) is 8800 x 6000 pixels (52MP).
    Those pixels are a tad soft, but if you upsample a 16.7MP image to that size
    (1.8x linearly), it gets a tad soft as well*. If you downsample a 52MP image
    to 19MP or 13MP, you get images that are sharper per pixel. Either way, they
    seem pretty close to me.

    If you read Norman Koren, you'll see that he calls 35mm (Provia 100F, 4000
    dpi) as being about 8MP. 645 is 2.5 times the are of 35mm. Big difference.

    http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF7.html

    As I've said before, 13 to 19MP seems a good estimate for the dSLR
    equivalent of 645. 8MP isn't even close.

    *: The upsampled digital image is crudely sharpened, but here's roughly what
    you'd see if you upsample 16.7 MP to 52MP.
    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/34473562/original
    Here's a simulated 35mm film vs. 16.7MP comparison with less crude
    sharpening. IMHO, Normal Koren called it right: 35mm film is nowhere near
    16.7MP.
    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/34473670/original

    David J. Littleboy

    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 20, 2004
  12. Annika1980

    Crownfield Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > As I've said before, 13 to 19MP seems a good estimate for the dSLR
    > equivalent of 645. 8MP isn't even close.

    you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
    the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
    and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

    Crownfield, Oct 20, 2004
  13. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Crownfield

    >you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
    >the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
    >and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

    Yeah, and that's meters!

    Annika1980, Oct 20, 2004
  14. Annika1980

    Crownfield Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > >From: Crownfield

    > >you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
    > >the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
    > >and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

    > Yeah, and that's meters!

    and thus you win "The Laugh of the Day Award"

    Crownfield, Oct 20, 2004
  15. Annika1980

    DM Guest

    Crownfield <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
    > the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
    > and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

    That's 40 x 60 feet, fyi.

    DM, Oct 20, 2004
  16. Annika1980

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Crownfield <> wrote:

    >you must be wrong. The preddiot told us so.
    >the sigma sd10 is sharp and detailed as medium format film,
    >and blows up to 40 x 60 without effort.

    And you can play hop-scotch on the pixels!
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Oct 22, 2004