    loss of power could cause an HDD to crash, and what preventive measures
    can be taken? Is it a sign that the surge protection is inadequate?

    Dave
    Dave Hardenbrook, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Shadow36 Guest

    "Dave Hardenbrook" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have now encountered two recent examples in the field of home users
    > whose hard drives failed after a household power failure. What about a
    > loss of power could cause an HDD to crash, and what preventive measures
    > can be taken? Is it a sign that the surge protection is inadequate?
    >
    > Dave

    A sudden loss of power, not allowing the HD to park correctly can cause
    physical damage to the drive.
    Shadow36, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Zac Guest

    >I have now encountered two recent examples in the field of home users
    > whose hard drives failed after a household power failure. What about a
    > loss of power could cause an HDD to crash, and what preventive measures
    > can be taken? Is it a sign that the surge protection is inadequate?
    >
    > Dave

    Many power failures are immediately preceeded by a power surge. I recently
    lost a hard drive on an RCA Cable Box at home, along with my Kenmore Oven
    controls and HVAC blower controls. Total Damage about $2,500. Luckily the
    cable box belonged to the cable company. APC Battery Backups are not that
    expensive anymore, and can really protect your equipment. Install the
    software too, and you'll see a surprising range of voltage on the home
    circuits.

    Zac
    Zac, Nov 1, 2007