    The worm is an older threat and most anti virus applications are expected
    to be able to detect and remove the worm before it can cause any damage.

    http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=002000001PBW
    Winged, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Winged

    Donnie Guest

    "Winged" <> wrote in message
    news:da80$4390e9b7$45493f2f$...
    > Storage Vendor IO Data Ships Drives with Trojan
    > Japanese peripheral vendor IO Data has accidentally added a Windows worm
    > on some of its external hard drives, the company has warned.

    #############################
    Accidental??????? I don't buy that for a minute. Someone did it on purpose.
    Accidental would mean that they have a trojan department besides their
    hardware dept. and somehow the trojan made it's way on the drives.
    donnie.
    Donnie, Dec 3, 2005

  3. From: "Donnie" <>

    | "Winged" <> wrote in message
    >> Storage Vendor IO Data Ships Drives with Trojan
    >> Japanese peripheral vendor IO Data has accidentally added a Windows worm
    >> on some of its external hard drives, the company has warned.
    >>

    | #############################
    | Accidental??????? I don't buy that for a minute. Someone did it on purpose.
    | Accidental would mean that they have a trojan department besides their
    | hardware dept. and somehow the trojan made it's way on the drives.
    | donnie.

    Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
    formatted !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Winged

    Ant Guest

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a
    > drive that has been formatted !

    And what harm can a trojan do without an operating system?
    Ant, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Winged

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:27:26 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
    >formatted !

    Its a plug and play external storage device for the consumer market so
    its quite reasonable that it comes [pre-formatted, rather like
    diskettes do, and its only on the Japanese market.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 4, 2005
  6. From: "Jim Watt" <_way>

    | On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:27:26 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    | <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    |
    >> Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
    >> formatted !

    | Its a plug and play external storage device for the consumer market so
    | its quite reasonable that it comes [pre-formatted, rather like
    | diskettes do, and its only on the Japanese market.

    Well it just proves the point that no matter what, one should always format even if it comes
    pre-formatted.

    David H. Lipman, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Winged

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:37:17 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Jim Watt" <_way>
    >
    >| On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:27:26 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    >| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >|
    >>> Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
    >>> formatted !

    >| Its a plug and play external storage device for the consumer market so
    >| its quite reasonable that it comes [pre-formatted, rather like
    >| diskettes do, and its only on the Japanese market.
    >
    >Well it just proves the point that no matter what, one should always format even if it comes
    >pre-formatted.

    Bearing in mind its a product aimed at consumers, that might be a bit
    too technical for them and it probably comes preloaded with software.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 5, 2005