    external drive that I wanted to put on the inside of the desktop.
    Anyways, long story short, it won't power on. Any ideas? Thanks

    , Sep 27, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 27 Sep 2006 12:50:17 -0700, wrote:

    >I just built a new system (first build) and all was fun. I had an
    >external drive that I wanted to put on the inside of the desktop.
    >Anyways, long story short, it won't power on. Any ideas? Thanks

    Ok, so is the hard drive still external, or is it now internal?

    Check the power cable from the power supply to the hard drive.

    Try a different cable.

    Evan Platt, Sep 27, 2006

  3. Cub Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system (first build) and all was fun. I had an
    > external drive that I wanted to put on the inside of the desktop.
    > Anyways, long story short, it won't power on. Any ideas? Thanks

    Ok just had to ask.... how do you know it "wont turn on"

    The bios cant see it, the system won't boot , the system wont power on with
    the disk attached.

    Cub

    Cub, Sep 27, 2006
  4. PhilÅ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system (first build) and all was fun. I had an
    > external drive that I wanted to put on the inside of the desktop.
    > Anyways, long story short, it won't power on. Any ideas? Thanks

    Not spinning???? Data cable may be on the wrong way.

    PhilÅ, Sep 28, 2006
  5. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system (first build) and all was fun. I had an
    > external drive that I wanted to put on the inside of the desktop.
    > Anyways, long story short, it won't power on. Any ideas? Thanks

    Pull all the cables. Check the voltage output with a meter.
    Try a different drive.
    It is plugged in properly right?

    richard, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Guest

    Hard drive was external, removed the casing to make it internal. The
    enclosure ended up getting thrown out, before I realized what was
    wrong.

    I have another hard drive in there that has the OS on it. I tried
    plugging in a power cord to the hard drive and turning the computer on,
    I didn't hear any indication of the hard drive turning on, though the
    computer powered on. Bios didn't recognize it either.

    I tried all the cables on the hard drive with the OS on it, that
    powered up, so I don't think the power cables are the problem.

    Just to be sure I went out and bought an enclosure for it (trying to
    narrow things down) could not get that to power on either. So I'm
    stuck. I've got a lot of data on there too.

    , Sep 28, 2006