    What could possibly cause this?!?!

    --
    Joe Boy

    Joe Boy, Apr 10, 2008

  2. Joe Boy

    rf Guest

    Joe Boy <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    Is the new house in a different state? You are not allowed to transport XP
    across state borders borders.

    Also check the windows on the removal truck. If the driver had too many
    windows open during transport then XP could well crash.

    --
    Richard
    Killing all threads involving google groups

    rf, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Joe Boy

    Sqwertz Guest

    Joe Boy <> wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    Is your new house in close proximity to any of those high-voltage
    power lines? Or did you pass under any during the move?

    -sw

    Sqwertz, Apr 10, 2008
  4. Joe Boy wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.

    I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine there
    was "NOTHING" on it.

    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    It's Windows, right?

    Aha. There's the answer...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 10, 2008
  5. Joe Boy

    Joe Boy Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:52:24 GMT, Sqwertz <>
    wrote:

    >Joe Boy <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >>
    >> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    >> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    >> physically wrong with HD.
    >>
    >> What could possibly cause this?!?!

    >Is your new house in close proximity to any of those high-voltage
    >power lines? Or did you pass under any during the move?

    Thanks for response - no to both queries.
    --
    Joe Boy

    Joe Boy, Apr 10, 2008
  6. Joe Boy

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:32:44 +1000, Joe Boy wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    My guess would be that your SQ (Stupidity Quotient) is excessively high.
    Probably off-the-charts high, in fact. Not much you can do about it,
    other than resent your parents.

    Dan C, Apr 10, 2008
  7. Joe Boy

    Joe Boy Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:56:20 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Joe Boy wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >>
    >> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    >> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    >> physically wrong with HD.

    >I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine there
    >was "NOTHING" on it.

    Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.

    chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
    numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.

    --
    Joe Boy

    Joe Boy, Apr 10, 2008
  8. Joe Boy wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>Joe Boy wrote:
    >>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >>>
    >>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    >>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    >>> physically wrong with HD.

    >> I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine
    >> there was "NOTHING" on it.

    > Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.
    >
    > chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
    > numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.

    Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?

    How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
    course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
    the same thing on my Linux computer.

    You should have booted from the Windows XP CD, and done a simple
    Repair-Install. And you would have lost no data.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 10, 2008
  9. Joe Boy

    rf Guest

    Joe Boy <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:57:15 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Joe Boy wrote:

    >>> Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.
    >>>
    >>> chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
    >>> numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.

    >>Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?
    >>
    >>How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
    >>course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
    >>the same thing on my Linux computer.
    >>
    >>You should have booted from the Windows XP CD, and done a simple
    >>Repair-Install. And you would have lost no data.

    > The floppy has a utility for reading NTFS from DOS on a floppy - can't
    > remember name of it and I am away from home for a few days so can't
    > check that yet.
    >
    > I tried repair from the CD and it did not work.
    >
    > I forgot to mention in earlier posts that when I reinstalled I had to
    > reformat and the format option showed the C: drive as having the full
    > disk capacity as AVAILABLE ie. an empty disk.

    Why are you asking these questions in here *after* you have hozed your
    disk?

    Format is the absolute last resort. That is, if you want to save any
    data.

    rf, Apr 10, 2008
  10. Joe Boy wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had NOTHING
    > on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing physically wrong with
    > HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    You didn't have Microsoft's permission to move their computer.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 10, 2008
  11. Joe Boy

    chuckcar Guest

    Joe Boy <> wrote in

    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    Virus (not likely: they're an endangered species these days, The're
    being usurped by the far less worthy trojans). Someone who has a warped
    version of humor. Someone who doesn't like you scrawing with you. You
    making a mistake without realizing it. The list goes on and on. Asking
    after the fact with no details to speak of is like asking why the power
    went out at one house on some day in 1953.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 10, 2008
  12. Joe Boy

    Joe Boy Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:33:09 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >Joe Boy wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:57:15 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?
    >>>
    >>> How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
    >>> course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
    >>> the same thing on my Linux computer.
    >>>
    >>> You should have booted from the Windows XP CD, and done a simple
    >>> Repair-Install. And you would have lost no data.

    >> The floppy has a utility for reading NTFS from DOS on a floppy - can't
    >> remember name of it and I am away from home for a few days so can't
    >> check that yet.
    >>
    >> I tried repair from the CD and it did not work.
    >>
    >> I forgot to mention in earlier posts that when I reinstalled I had to
    >> reformat and the format option showed the C: drive as having the full
    >> disk capacity as AVAILABLE ie. an empty disk.

    >Of course it did you moron. Format formats the entire partition not just
    >the unused parts. Duh!

    Please read my previous post carefully. Take it easy now, one word at
    a time if you are capable.

    The format OPTION (implying BEFORE the format was done) showed showed
    an empty drive, **NOT AFTER** the format.
    --
    Joe Boy

    Joe Boy, Apr 10, 2008
  13. Joe Boy

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Joe Boy.

    In <> you wrote:

    > What could possibly cause this?!?!

    Reading the thread I can see you've got the answers prepared, so I'm going
    to guess at an over-active imagination and a really decent, friendly, troll
    attempt that's working quite nicely ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Apr 10, 2008
  14. Joe Boy

    sandy58 Guest

    On Apr 10, 2:32 am, Joe Boy <> wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!
    >
    > --
    > Joe Boy

    You packed your PC (hard drives) in close proximity to some form of
    magnetic field (large old speakers with woofers an' the like) or drove
    too near a sub-station which was in the throes of an overload or you
    attempted to arc-weld your U-Drive doors closed (to prevent theft in
    transit) and "blew" the lot.
    I'll bet on the first one. :)

    sandy58, Apr 10, 2008
  15. Joe Boy

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:42:46 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Joe Boy" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >>
    >> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    >> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    >> physically wrong with HD.
    >>
    >> What could possibly cause this?!?!
    >>

    >I see that a few folks have suggested a strong magnetic field may have wiped
    >the drive...
    >but that's virtually impossible.
    >
    >Someone must have fooled with the machine when it was out of your sight.

    Unless he looked for a non-DOS partition he wouldn't have seen anything anyway.
    and some of the so-called "NTFS partition tools" out in the wild simply don't
    work. Fdisk will, *if* you tell it what to look for.

    There's also the question of how badly the machine was handled in transit. If
    you beat one up badly enough, or treat it like a box of cereal, cables come
    loose and jumpers can fall off if they weren't on well enough to begin with. A
    loose cable can do strange things to a system.

    The system was off and unplugged during the move. There is no possible way the
    drive could have been wiped during that.

    --
    Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
    you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

    Mara, Apr 10, 2008
  16. On Apr 9, 9:32 pm, Joe Boy <> wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
    >
    > I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > physically wrong with HD.
    >
    > What could possibly cause this?!?!
    >
    > --
    > Joe Boy

    Yikes, sorry to hear that! My guess might be some kind of electrical
    or magnetic issue. I had an old backup drive that I placed into an
    external case where the wires were coming apart and it wiped the
    entire drive clean - lost over 70GBs of stuff I'd collected for years.
    Thankfully I had backups made of most of the files, but I did still
    lose a few very precious things I could never get back. Even an expert
    was baffled as to how it happened, but verified the drive was erased
    but not damaged.

    My guess is electricity - high-voltage power lines, possibly even a
    magnetic field of some kind. It could be something as simple as being
    placed near a speaker with powerful magnets in it. But I'd guess it
    would be more than just common household speakers. Now stadium/concert
    speakers, yea I could see that!

    Or it could even be you had a virus and that particular act "wiped"
    everything on that set date. But I would have at least had an expert
    examine it carefully to be sure the data was all gone before re-
    formatting the drive.

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 10, 2008
  17. Joe Boy

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:39:39 +1000, Joe Boy wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:33:09 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Joe Boy wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> I forgot to mention in earlier posts that when I reinstalled I had to
    >>> reformat and the format option showed the C: drive as having the full
    >>> disk capacity as AVAILABLE ie. an empty disk.

    >>Of course it did you moron. Format formats the entire partition not just
    >>the unused parts. Duh!

    >Please read my previous post carefully. Take it easy now, one word at
    >a time if you are capable.
    >
    >The format OPTION (implying BEFORE the format was done) showed showed
    >an empty drive, **NOT AFTER** the format.

    But what did you use to verify only the partition table had a fault. No
    partition table i.e. blank disk. Last time I lost 3 partitions on a
    boot, www.runtime.org and GetDataBack for NTFS recovered everything.

    Me

    why?, Apr 10, 2008
  18. Joe Boy

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:27:16 -0500, observer wrote:

    <snip>

    >strong enough magnetic field will cause problems. Can't say if it
    >will wipe entire drive tho.

    I just finished working on a WD 160Gb hdd that said it didn't have a partition
    and wouldn't boot because of it. However, when I ran fdisk, there were actually
    4 partitions on the drive, all NTFS. I didn't bother to rescue it; it's a hdd I
    just bought in a parts system, and there wouldn't have been anything on it I
    wanted anyway, so I just deleted the partitions and went from there.

    IMHO the chances of the system being around a magnetic current strong enough to
    wipe the hard drive, while simply being moved from place to place at ground
    level, would be somewhere around 0.000001%. Or less.

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

    Mara, Apr 10, 2008
  19. On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:03:08 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:27:16 -0500, observer wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>strong enough magnetic field will cause problems. Can't say if it will
    >>wipe entire drive tho.

    > I just finished working on a WD 160Gb hdd that said it didn't have a
    > partition and wouldn't boot because of it. However, when I ran fdisk,
    > there were actually 4 partitions on the drive, all NTFS. I didn't bother
    > to rescue it; it's a hdd I just bought in a parts system, and there
    > wouldn't have been anything on it I wanted anyway, so I just deleted the
    > partitions and went from there.
    >
    > IMHO the chances of the system being around a magnetic current strong
    > enough to wipe the hard drive, while simply being moved from place to
    > place at ground level, would be somewhere around 0.000001%. Or less.

    I can only think of EMP, x-rays & gamma rays from which the resulting
    electric & magnetic fields could damage a HDD & possibly wipe the entire
    drive. A broadband, high-intensity, short-duration burst of
    electromagnetic energy.

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.5
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.

    William Poaster, Apr 10, 2008
  20. Joe Boy

    Hp Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:32:44 +1000, Joe Boy <>
    > wrote:

    > >I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.

    > >I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
    > >NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
    > >physically wrong with HD.

    > >What could possibly cause this?!?!

    > Home Land Security?

    I VOTE for this one, there are no Limits upon the amount of paranoids
    working in Homeland Security these days, AND they have carte blanch
    permissions granted to them to intrude where ever and when ever
    they choose. You should accept this as "Oh Crabs, I'm under the
    microscope now".

    Some poor lady in Fla was told that it was a matter of
    "Homeland Security" when during some sort of local event she wanted
    to take off her top as a form of political protest statement.
    I seem to recall that she was arrested by a 'Homeland Security droid'
    right on the spot.
    Arrested by a

    Hp, Apr 11, 2008