    Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?

    Someone mentioned a freezer!

    Jonah
    Jonah, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Jonah

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Jonah

    philo Guest

    "Jonah" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?
    >
    > Someone mentioned a freezer!
    >
    > Jonah

    you can try freezing it...it probably won't help...
    but there is a small chance it might.

    as a total last resort...
    since the drive is no longer reliable...here is something i did once that
    worked:

    i put the offending drive in a machine along with a 2nd drive
    for storing backup data.
    then i opened up the bad drive and very *gently* nudged the arm
    until the drive began to function again...
    i then retrieved the data and stopped using the bad drive of course!
    philo, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Jonah

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:16:06 GMT, Jonah
    <> wrote:

    |>Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?
    |>
    |>Someone mentioned a freezer!

    A freezer, sharp rap, drop it...

    I've taken the cover off of one that wouldn't spin-up once and push
    started it. (grabbed all I wanted off of it error free). Not at all a
    suggestion, but an option.
    Pennywise, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Jonah

    Jonah Guest

    I tried the freezer, I do not want to invalidate my warrantee with
    Western Digital, so your option has got to be iffy. If I b***r it up
    then they won't pay"

    However if I give my drive to them they won't recover my data without a
    charge.

    Between a rock and a hard place. The drive was my backup of some
    valuable data from my last job. Sadly the workplace no longer exists and
    my data is on this b***y new drive. Built only last October 2003. Its
    the second WD drive to fail me. I certainly won't be buying any more of
    them.

    Jonah
    ---------------------------

    Jonah, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Jonah

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Jonah wrote:
    > I tried the freezer, I do not want to invalidate my warrantee with
    > Western Digital, so your option has got to be iffy. If I b***r it up
    > then they won't pay"
    >
    > However if I give my drive to them they won't recover my data without a
    > charge.
    >
    > Between a rock and a hard place. The drive was my backup of some
    > valuable data from my last job. Sadly the workplace no longer exists and
    > my data is on this b***y new drive. Built only last October 2003. Its
    > the second WD drive to fail me. I certainly won't be buying any more of
    > them.
    >
    > Jonah

    If the problem is just "stiction" (or "sticky friction")
    involving the platter spindle and bearings, take the HD
    and slam it flat on to a mouse pad...just once. Put back
    into computer, power up and the HD might start spinning.
    OTOH, if the HD motor is dead, then use a professional
    data recovery firm to retrieve the data; WD will not
    recover the data if the HD is returned to it.
    Mistoffolees, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Jonah

    bkupmstr

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I know its a little old but

    I too my non-spinnin drive and put it into and old tower machine and it spun right up.

    I was able to copy off all the data and now I'm looking to buy a new enclosure to try to remount the drive in

    Good luck all!
    bkupmstr, Jul 31, 2011