    I can format the drive and install Win XP

    thanks
    Chet
    Chet, Nov 28, 2008

  2. Chet

    D Lirious Guest

    If you can boot from your XP installation CD it should give you the option,
    actually it may insist on it, of reformatting your hard drive before it will
    install.
    You should be able to find in the BIOS an option to set the CD drive as the
    first boot device.
    If the XP disc is an upgrade version you have to have a CD for an acceptable
    earlier version of Windows, like Win 95/98.
    If the computer is so old that the BIOS does not give you the option of
    booting from a CD why waste the time installing XP?
    However you can work around this by booting from a floppy that installs CD
    drivers and then switching to the CD drive to install XP.
    If you do not know how to do this it is probably not worth learning at this
    late date.
    D Lirious, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Chet

    Chet Guest

    D Lirious wrote:
    > If you can boot from your XP installation CD it should give you the
    > option, actually it may insist on it, of reformatting your hard drive
    > before it will install.
    > You should be able to find in the BIOS an option to set the CD drive as
    > the first boot device.
    > If the XP disc is an upgrade version you have to have a CD for an
    > acceptable earlier version of Windows, like Win 95/98.
    > If the computer is so old that the BIOS does not give you the option of
    > booting from a CD why waste the time installing XP?
    > However you can work around this by booting from a floppy that installs
    > CD drivers and then switching to the CD drive to install XP.
    > If you do not know how to do this it is probably not worth learning at
    > this late date.

    the bios does have the option to set the boot drive as the cd rom, but I
    am not sure the XP cd is an upgrade or the full version, I did set it as
    the boot drive but it won't boot off of the disk,

    Chet
    Chet, Nov 28, 2008