    limitations.

    Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.

    Cheers

    Rastus, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Rastus

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rastus" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
    > and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
    > machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
    > limitations.
    >
    > Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    External hard drive in the USB port are cheap enough.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Rastus

    Jerry Guest

    Rastus wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
    > and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
    > machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
    > limitations.
    >
    > Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    That computer isn't that old, I'd say you have a 99.9% chance of it
    working just fine. Besides, if for some reason it doesn't work, just
    take the drive back where you got it.

    Jerry, Apr 13, 2006
  4. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:58:46 +1200, Rastus wrote:

    > I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
    > and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
    > machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
    > limitations.
    >
    > Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    Which year was the motherboard manufactured?

    What particular BIOS does your "Dell Dimension 3000" use? And when was it
    released?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Rastus

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rastus wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
    > and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
    > machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
    > limitations.
    >
    > Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.

    Really, the only sensible logical advice in response to that question is to
    get in touch with Dell and ask them. They use propreitary parts and, unless
    someone with the exact same machine has done the same thing, nobody but Dell
    can advise you.

    The other option is to try it and see. Can you borrow one? "Buy" one from
    DSE and you can always return it. (Check first but I think that they'll take
    it as long as it's not been drop-kicked across the car-park).

    Sorry, probably not much help.....
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Rastus

    juicyjuice Guest

    Dell don't use propreitary parts.. apart from the case and mobo design to
    fit the case... most you can obtain from your favourite online dealer as
    standard laptop parts.. make sure u do your research and find out what your
    laptop will accept...

    easy way... send email to dell saying what you want to upgrade.. they will
    quote you with part details etc, then use that info to google dealers and
    find out what you need then get it cheaper/other brand elsewhere =D

    I know 100gb will work.. duno about 160 ... find out from dell, then if so
    buy elsewhere cheaper =D

    juicyjuice, Apr 13, 2006
  7. Rastus

    Who Me Guest

    Rastus wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40 Gb HDD. I need to upgrade this
    > and would like to know if a 160 Gb drive would work okay in this
    > machine. I understand some motherboards and or BIOS's have
    > limitations.
    >
    > Any sensible logical advice will me much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    Hi Ive got a similar machine and I added a 160G drive to it with no
    problems. As there is no internal slot for a second harddrive I bought
    an adaptor from dick smith that lets u fit a 3 1/2 drive into a 5 1/4
    cdrom bay it cost about $15

    Who Me

    Who Me, Apr 13, 2006
  8. Rastus

    EMB Guest

    Who Me wrote:

    > Hi Ive got a similar machine and I added a 160G drive to it with no
    > problems. As there is no internal slot for a second harddrive I bought
    > an adaptor from dick smith that lets u fit a 3 1/2 drive into a 5 1/4
    > cdrom bay it cost about $15

    I'd suggest not adding a second HDD but replacing what is already there
    as IME Dell machines tend to have fairly low ouput power supplies that
    can't really cope with any extra hardware added.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 13, 2006
  9. Rastus

    ~misfit~ Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:
    > Dell don't use propreitary parts.. apart from the case and mobo
    > design to fit the case...

    So just the main parts are proprietary then?

    > most you can obtain from your favourite
    > online dealer as standard laptop parts.. make sure u do your research
    > and find out what your laptop will accept...

    Heh! So a Dimension is a laptop? It would have been nice if the OP had
    included this bit of info. I don't know much about Dells other than the few
    desktops I've seen the insides of and the desktops I've seen discussed in
    the hardware groups. I certainly don't know what model is a laptop and what
    is a desktop.

    > easy way... send email to dell saying what you want to upgrade.. they
    > will quote you with part details etc, then use that info to google
    > dealers and find out what you need then get it cheaper/other brand
    > elsewhere =D

    Excellent advice.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2006
  10. Rastus

    juicyjuice Guest

    haha thought i read inspiron.. got laptops on the brain atm..
    dimension are desktop but my post is still relevant

    soz my bad

    juicyjuice, Apr 14, 2006