    this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
    Thanks,

    John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

    John Chenis, May 21, 2004

  2. John Chenis

    HF Guest

    Get an external drive.Is this a bios limit ? If so think overlays.Ask Sony
    for reason!!!!
    "John Chenis" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard

    drive.
    > Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone

    done
    > this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

    ---

    HF, May 21, 2004

  3. John Chenis

    TV Slug Guest

    > Hi All,
    > I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard

    drive.
    > Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone

    done
    > this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

    Depending on how old the machine is, it can probably handle up to 32GB.
    Many times laptop makers will tell you the story of "it can't be upgraded"
    because they aren't going to get any (more) money from you if you upgrade on
    your own.

    The easiest thing to do is see where in the product line you computer falls
    and see if there were other models in the SAME LINE that supported a larger
    drive. They usually don't make separate BIOS runs for systems in the same
    line.

    Unfortunately, some makers put SPECIFIC limits into BIOS for some hardware.
    Fujitsu, for example, used a BIOS restriction on the CPU of a Lifebook I
    had. I had a 650MHz speedstep processor, and the top of that line was
    750MHz. I tried to drop in 850MHz chips, and they could run SpeedStepped
    down to 700 MHz, but as soon as I tried to ramp up to 850, the machine would
    lock solid, whether in Windows or DOS. Figured that one out because it would
    POST fine, but lock AFTER it finished POSTing.

    TV Slug, May 21, 2004
  4. John Chenis

    Robert Baer Guest

    HF wrote:

    > Get an external drive.Is this a bios limit ? If so think overlays.Ask Sony
    > for reason!!!!
    > "John Chenis" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > > I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer model PCG-FX200 with a 15GB hard

    > drive.
    > > Can I replace this drive with a larger one,say 40GB. If so, has anyone

    > done
    > > this task? Sony said 15GB is the maximum for this computer.
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John Chenis Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
    > >

    > ---

    *NEVER* use overlays or OEM "drive managers" to "solve" a BIOS
    problem!
    The result will be a hard drive format that is proprietary, and it
    will be impossible to recover data if anything goes wrong.

    Robert Baer, May 22, 2004