  1. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    Brand New IDE does... **** ALL
    Isildur, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    one last thing then. How is the temperature in your case? Perhaps the drive
    is overheating?

    Thor, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:bot62m$d8r$,
    Isildur <> wrote these words:

    | Brand New IDE does... **** ALL

    Do you mean it does not work at all - or it works and the noise is still
    present?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Isildur

    Bill Chaplin Guest

    How many meg. is a **** all?

    Bill Chaplin, Nov 12, 2003
  5. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > In news:bot62m$d8r$,
    > Isildur <> wrote these words:
    >
    > | Brand New IDE does... **** ALL
    >
    > Do you mean it does not work at all - or it works and the noise is still
    > present?

    noise is still present
    Isildur, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > one last thing then. How is the temperature in your case? Perhaps the

    drive
    > is overheating?

    the case is pretty spacious the cpu has a large fan, and the old power
    supply used to have it's own extractor fan. obviously that isn't there with
    getting a new power supply, but my point is the same thing happened with it
    there, also the computer could be off all day, and the noise is present from
    start-up
    Isildur, Nov 12, 2003
  7. Isildur

    Daniel Chang Guest

    Isildur wrote:
    > Brand New IDE does... **** ALL

    Umm, I've noticed that you've been going through A LOT of effort to get
    rid of some noise. If it's working fine, why does it matter?

    -Dan
    Daniel Chang, Nov 13, 2003
  8. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:bouf1k$g45$,
    Isildur <> wrote these words:

    | "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    || In news:bot62m$d8r$,
    || Isildur <> wrote these words:
    ||| Brand New IDE does... **** ALL
    || Do you mean it does not work at all - or it works and the noise is
    || still present?
    |
    | noise is still present

    I know you are convinced it is the hard drive, but it does seem a rather
    remote possibility that is where the problem is, given that you have
    tried three hard drives with exactly the same noise. You have
    eliminated the motherboard and power supply by substitution, you removed
    the floppy and optical drives. Using your own words, there is **** all
    left to change.

    Perhaps it is time to take it to a serviceman - I think you may have
    reached the limit to what can be achieved by remote advice.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 13, 2003
  9. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Daniel Chang" <> wrote in message
    > Isildur wrote:
    > > Brand New IDE does... **** ALL

    > Umm, I've noticed that you've been going through A LOT of effort to get
    > rid of some noise. If it's working fine, why does it matter?

    For one i have a program called 'active smart' and whenever the noise
    happens it gives me an error 'attribute changing in drive' the attributes
    changed are always 'seek time performance' or 'seek error rate'
    And secondly, exactly the same thing happened with the previous drive (which
    annoyingly works fine with no clitches in another PC), and from that
    experience it gets worse as it goes (as this is) until the system is
    basically un useable due to lock ups/freezes etc.
    So it's certainly not just a noise it makes that affects nothing, though i
    really wish it was!
    Isildur, Nov 13, 2003
  10. Isildur

    > In news:bouf1k$g45$,
    > Isildur <> wrote these words:
    >
    > | "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > || Do you mean it does not work at all - or it works and the noise is
    > || still present?
    > |
    > | noise is still present
    >
    > I know you are convinced it is the hard drive, but it does seem a rather
    > remote possibility that is where the problem is, given that you have
    > tried three hard drives with exactly the same noise. You have
    > eliminated the motherboard and power supply by substitution, you removed
    > the floppy and optical drives. Using your own words, there is **** all
    > left to change.
    >
    > Perhaps it is time to take it to a serviceman - I think you may have
    > reached the limit to what can be achieved by remote advice.

    I've been to a computer shop twice, first time he said motherboard, which
    obviously i replaced, then 'if that wasn't it' said he, i should replace the
    hard drive, which i have.
    Maybe he wasn't a decent tech guy, but it's getting to the stage where i
    don't really want to lose much more money only to find the problem return,
    though there is the fact there isn't anything left to buy lol
    I'll see what maxtor say, then i suppose i'll have no other option than to
    find some one local again
    Isildur, Nov 13, 2003
  11. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:boupvi$8v4$,
    Isildur <> wrote these words:

    | "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    || In news:bouf1k$g45$,
    || Isildur <> wrote these words:
    ||| "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    ||| noise is still present
    || I know you are convinced it is the hard drive, but it does seem a
    || rather remote possibility that is where the problem is, given that
    || you have tried three hard drives with exactly the same noise. You
    || have eliminated the motherboard and power supply by substitution,
    || you removed the floppy and optical drives. Using your own words,
    || there is **** all left to change.
    || Perhaps it is time to take it to a serviceman - I think you may have
    || reached the limit to what can be achieved by remote advice.
    |
    | I've been to a computer shop twice, first time he said motherboard,
    | which obviously i replaced, then 'if that wasn't it' said he, i
    | should replace the hard drive, which i have.
    | Maybe he wasn't a decent tech guy, but it's getting to the stage
    | where i don't really want to lose much more money only to find the
    | problem return, though there is the fact there isn't anything left to
    | buy lol
    | I'll see what maxtor say, then i suppose i'll have no other option
    | than to find some one local again

    I think that is an understatement that he may not be a decent tech.
    From the money you seem to have spent you could have just about bought a
    new system.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 13, 2003
  12. Isildur

    Plato Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Perhaps it is time to take it to a serviceman - I think you may have
    > reached the limit to what can be achieved by remote advice.

    I went nuts for weeks with a noise in my pc. Turned out to be the cdrom
    drive vibrating against the case. Fixed that with a matchbook cover.
    Plato, Nov 13, 2003
  13. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:3fb3abb2$0$3917$,
    Plato <|@|.|> wrote these words:

    | Oldus Fartus wrote:
    || Perhaps it is time to take it to a serviceman - I think you may have
    || reached the limit to what can be achieved by remote advice.
    |
    | I went nuts for weeks with a noise in my pc. Turned out to be the
    | cdrom drive vibrating against the case. Fixed that with a matchbook
    | cover.

    I have had that one happen to me as well - can sometimes be a bugger to
    find.

    One recently had me a bit bewildered as well. It had an intermittant
    ticking sound which sounded similar to a dying hard drive, but as soon
    as I took the case off the sound seemed to disappear. Of all things it
    turned out to be the audio cable from the CD-ROM just touching the top
    of the CPU fan. It would touch, then get flicked, drop back and touch
    again. Tied the cable back out of the way and no more sounds. You
    can really get lucky with jobs sometimes.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 13, 2003
  14. Isildur wrote:

    > "Daniel Chang" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Isildur wrote:
    >>
    >>>Brand New IDE does... **** ALL

    >>Umm, I've noticed that you've been going through A LOT of effort to get
    >>rid of some noise. If it's working fine, why does it matter?

    > For one i have a program called 'active smart' and whenever the noise
    > happens it gives me an error 'attribute changing in drive' the attributes
    > changed are always 'seek time performance' or 'seek error rate'
    > And secondly, exactly the same thing happened with the previous drive (which
    > annoyingly works fine with no clitches in another PC), and from that
    > experience it gets worse as it goes (as this is) until the system is
    > basically un useable due to lock ups/freezes etc.
    > So it's certainly not just a noise it makes that affects nothing, though i
    > really wish it was!

    If the drive causing problems in this PC is working fine in another PC
    then I'd look at something in this PC as causing the problem-not the
    drive. Although it could be a conflict where neither part alone is
    'defective' but they just don't work right together. Don't really know
    what that would be right off.
    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 13, 2003
  15. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > >
    > > Perhaps it is time to take it to a serviceman - I think you may have
    > > reached the limit to what can be achieved by remote advice.

    > I went nuts for weeks with a noise in my pc. Turned out to be the cdrom
    > drive vibrating against the case. Fixed that with a matchbook cover.

    Aint you just the Macgyver. ;-)
    Thor, Nov 13, 2003
  16. Isildur

    Plato Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > One recently had me a bit bewildered as well. It had an intermittant
    > ticking sound which sounded similar to a dying hard drive, but as soon
    > as I took the case off the sound seemed to disappear. Of all things it
    > turned out to be the audio cable from the CD-ROM just touching the top
    > of the CPU fan. It would touch, then get flicked, drop back and touch
    > again. Tied the cable back out of the way and no more sounds. You
    > can really get lucky with jobs sometimes.

    Oh yeah, had that one as well. Tough one, as it dont tick with the cover
    off but does with the cover on.
    Plato, Nov 13, 2003
  17. Isildur

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > I went nuts for weeks with a noise in my pc. Turned out to be the cdrom
    > > drive vibrating against the case. Fixed that with a matchbook cover.

    > Aint you just the Macgyver. ;-)

    My dad used to use match book covers to fix lots of things. One of the
    best is to fix nail holes in your wall before you paint. Use a matchbook
    cover and toothpaste to fill the holes. Works equally as well as a
    spackling/filler and that flat metal tool [forgot the name]. Dont even
    have to sand afterwards.
    Plato, Nov 13, 2003
  18. Isildur

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > My dad used to use match book covers to fix lots of things. One of the
    > best is to fix nail holes in your wall before you paint. Use a matchbook
    > cover and toothpaste to fill the holes. Works equally as well as a
    > spackling/filler and that flat metal tool [forgot the name]. Dont even
    > have to sand afterwards.

    Well, the old toothpaste bit sucks. It may make the wall look ok for your
    move-out inspection, but when you go to paint, the latex paint will not
    stick. The painters will be quite irritated. Just as they are planning to
    finish the job, they will need to dig out your toothpaste and repair the
    mess. Your dad apparently didn't own the walls he was messing up. A small
    tub of plaster costs less than a tube of toothpaste, and won't damage the
    walls.

    Pepperoni
    (Licensed Residential Builder)
    Pepperoni, Nov 13, 2003
  19. Isildur

    olfart Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > > My dad used to use match book covers to fix lots of things. One of the
    > > best is to fix nail holes in your wall before you paint. Use a matchbook
    > > cover and toothpaste to fill the holes. Works equally as well as a
    > > spackling/filler and that flat metal tool [forgot the name]. Dont even
    > > have to sand afterwards.

    > Well, the old toothpaste bit sucks. It may make the wall look ok for your
    > move-out inspection, but when you go to paint, the latex paint will not
    > stick. The painters will be quite irritated. Just as they are planning

    > finish the job, they will need to dig out your toothpaste and repair the
    > mess. Your dad apparently didn't own the walls he was messing up. A

    small
    > tub of plaster costs less than a tube of toothpaste, and won't damage the
    > walls.

    His Dad probably was around before Latex paint.
    olfart, Nov 13, 2003