Hard drive Transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lostcoder, Sep 4, 2009.

1. lostcoder

lostcoder

I will try to detail this correctly for you. I am, building a new system that will have a Sata drive in it. The old PC has an IDE hard drive and due to software no longer available and images, we must have this hard drive's system files and data on the new system. I have read that I probably can not just put the HD in my new system and boot. If I could then I could add the sata drive and use the CD that comes with them to copy the old boot drive.

Should I try just putting the IDE in the new system? or is it a for sure, it will not boot. The old IDE is XP home edition SP3.

Any direction is really appreciated.

JIM

lostcoder, Sep 4, 2009
    1. Advertising

2. lostcoder

bigal

PC Gamer wrote an article a few years ago on how to use the OS on an existing hard drive with a new computer. I tried it once and it did work. The trick is to uninstall motherboard-unique software before you shut down the old system for good. This includes videocard drivers and other driver software that's unique to that old motherboard. You want to get the existing OS as close to a new install as possible. Once you transfer that old IDE drive over to the new computer (it should have at least one IDE port), you can try booting off it. Don't connect your new SATA drive until you have this old drive configured as the boot drive. Be ready to install the set of drivers for the new motherboard once you get into Windows XP SP3 from the old drive. Good luck.

bigal, Sep 8, 2009
    1. Advertising

3. lostcoder

technoplume

Make backup... If your software is facing extinction... maybe it's time to change it. Biggest problem when changing the key component is to find compatibility between hardware and driver. I have made a success full swap from a 200mmx to a Pentium 3 back on windows 2k. But the motherboard shared the same manufacturer ( in that case Intel ). When I tried that same thing whit my AMD it never work. Even whit motherboard from Gigabyte, the chip set were not from the same manufacturer. And When I did have a successful swap, the os was far from stable.

Back it up, keep the old system ready. Read a lot before proceeding. And good luck.

technoplume, Sep 9, 2009
  4. lostcoder

bigal

That's why you need to uninstall the motherboard chipset drivers from the old motherboard and be ready to install the new motherboard chipset drivers once you connect the drive to the new system. Like I said, I was able to do it. I was using an old AMD motherboard and going with a newer AMD motherboard (like Athlon XP to Athlon X2). You are right to recommend a backup however.

bigal, Sep 10, 2009
    1. Advertising