    crash), that my hardware from the machine that I originally had the
    drive on to install the OS was listed as unrecognized.

    Question: Would this cause the instability that I'm seeing?
    Ludwig77, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Ludwig77

    philo Guest

    "Ludwig77" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I installed Windows 98 on a hard drive on my computer and then
    > transferred it to my parent's computer.
    >
    > It started crashing after about 2 minutes into loading the OS.
    >
    > I noticed that in the Device Manager, in safe mode (where it also would
    > crash), that my hardware from the machine that I originally had the
    > drive on to install the OS was listed as unrecognized.
    >
    > Question: Would this cause the instability that I'm seeing?

    you need to reconfigure the machine for the new hardware of course!!!!!
    philo, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Ludwig77

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    philo spewed forth:
    > "Ludwig77" <> wrote in message
    >> I installed Windows 98 on a hard drive on my computer and then
    >> transferred it to my parent's computer.
    >>
    >> It started crashing after about 2 minutes into loading the OS.
    >>
    >> I noticed that in the Device Manager, in safe mode (where it also
    >> would crash), that my hardware from the machine that I originally
    >> had the drive on to install the OS was listed as unrecognized.
    >>
    >> Question: Would this cause the instability that I'm seeing?
    >>

    > you need to reconfigure the machine for the new hardware of
    > course!!!!!

    Where do these people come from? Geesh!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Ludwig77

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Ludwig77 spewed forth:
    > I installed Windows 98 on a hard drive on my computer and then
    > transferred it to my parent's computer.
    >
    > It started crashing after about 2 minutes into loading the OS.
    >
    > I noticed that in the Device Manager, in safe mode (where it also
    > would crash), that my hardware from the machine that I originally had
    > the drive on to install the OS was listed as unrecognized.
    >
    > Question: Would this cause the instability that I'm seeing?

    Is your computer an IDENTICAL match to your parents? Same EXACT motherboard?
    Same EXACT video card? Same EXACT sound system?

    Each install of Windows uses the drivers for the SPECIFIC hardware. So if
    you change the hardware, Windows won't run right.

    You have two options: reinstall Windows 98 with the new drive in your
    parents' computer, or delete ALL the hardware items in Device Manager and
    reboot. Windows will recognise the hardware in that machine and install the
    drivers for it. Not all drivers are on the Windows disc, so you might need
    to locate them on the web or the computer's original discs.

    Next time, don't waste your (and your parents') time. Just install Windows
    in the correct computer in the first place.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Ludwig77

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim <>, the broken down freeloader and
    over-decorated pitcher who likes undignified wrinkle ironing with
    monkeys, and whose partner is a flesh-peddler with a luscious oyster

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Ludwig77

    dadiOH Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > philo spewed forth:
    >> "Ludwig77" <> wrote in message
    >>> I installed Windows 98 on a hard drive on my computer and then
    >>> transferred it to my parent's computer.
    >>>
    >>> It started crashing after about 2 minutes into loading the OS.
    >>>
    >>> I noticed that in the Device Manager, in safe mode (where it also
    >>> would crash), that my hardware from the machine that I originally
    >>> had the drive on to install the OS was listed as unrecognized.
    >>>
    >>> Question: Would this cause the instability that I'm seeing?
    >>>

    >> you need to reconfigure the machine for the new hardware of
    >> course!!!!!

    > Where do these people come from? Geesh!

    It's the McDonalds effect... :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Ludwig77 wrote:

    > I installed Windows 98 on a hard drive on my computer and then
    > transferred it to my parent's computer.
    >
    > It started crashing after about 2 minutes into loading the OS.

    Win98 and even more so winXP is not easily portable between different
    hardware. Unlike knoppix or other linux distributions, it heavily relies
    upon driver support by hardware manufacturers, which comes with mainboard
    driver cds, graphic card driver cds, network card driver floppies (for
    win9x), usb drivers and many more - if you still can get or download
    them.
    With win98 there is a hen-and-egg problem too: a new chipset often doesn't
    give you the availability to access the cdrom drive you would need for
    driver updates.
    XP is even more nasty: it will give you the famous
    "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" bluescreen, and all you can do is a repair
    install, followed by re-activation if Microsoft permits it and you have
    net access.

    > I noticed that in the Device Manager, in safe mode (where it also would
    > crash), that my hardware from the machine that I originally had the
    > drive on to install the OS was listed as unrecognized.
    >
    > Question: Would this cause the instability that I'm seeing?

    Most probably, yes. But then, you didn't tell us which sort of error
    messages or other symptoms you got.
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jan 9, 2006