    the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting 45C+.. how bad
    is this for them?

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Aug 12, 2007

  2. In message <46be79ec$>, Squiggle wrote:

    > Just been playing round with the airflow thru my case, managed to get
    > the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting 45C+.. how bad
    > is this for them?

    Some of them can run quite hot in normal use. Recent studies of drive
    failure rates suggested that temperatures had little effect on their
    reliability.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:09:32 +1200, Squiggle <> wrote:

    >Just been playing round with the airflow thru my case, managed to get
    >the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting 45C+.. how bad
    >is this for them?
    >
    >El Chippy

    I thought that 40c was the Max, mine are around 30-35c on a hot day but they are in a good case with
    a 120mm fan in front of them..
    Greg House, Aug 12, 2007
  4. "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:09:32 +1200, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just been playing round with the airflow thru my case, managed to get
    >>the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting 45C+.. how bad
    >>is this for them?

    I just looked up a few recent Harddisk stats and they have saying they can
    go up to around 70C (temp of HDD) / 60C (temp of ambiant area)

    then 45C is quite OKfor the HDD as its qutie within its operational area.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:09:32 +1200, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just been playing round with the airflow thru my case, managed to get
    >>> the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting 45C+.. how bad
    >>> is this for them?
    >>>

    > I just looked up a few recent Harddisk stats and they have saying they can
    > go up to around 70C (temp of HDD) / 60C (temp of ambiant area)
    >
    > then 45C is quite OKfor the HDD as its qutie within its operational area.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks Craig

    Useful to know.
    I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at 52C.
    I'm sure that cant be good.
    Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and
    cardboard to see what I can do about getting it down.
    Squiggle, Aug 12, 2007
  6. Squiggle

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    >> I just looked up a few recent Harddisk stats and they have saying they
    >> can go up to around 70C (temp of HDD) / 60C (temp of ambiant area)
    >>
    >> then 45C is quite OKfor the HDD as its qutie within its operational area.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Thanks Craig
    >
    > Useful to know.
    > I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at 52C.
    > I'm sure that cant be good.
    > Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and cardboard
    > to see what I can do about getting it down.

    How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming is
    causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video cards
    heating up nearby?
    Craig Sutton, Aug 12, 2007
  7. Squiggle

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:22:22 +1200
    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    > "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > >> "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > >> I just looked up a few recent Harddisk stats and they have saying
    > >> they can go up to around 70C (temp of HDD) / 60C (temp of ambiant
    > >> area)
    > >>
    > >> then 45C is quite OKfor the HDD as its qutie within its
    > >> operational area.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > > Thanks Craig
    > >
    > > Useful to know.
    > > I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at
    > > 52C. I'm sure that cant be good.
    > > Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and
    > > cardboard to see what I can do about getting it down.

    > How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming
    > is causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video
    > cards heating up nearby?

    Hi
    Room temperature around 21°C

    Ultra10
    malcolml@ernie:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    /dev/hda: WDC WD800JB-00JJC0: 44°C
    Sunblade150
    malcolml@bert:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    /dev/hda: Maxtor 6Y200P0: 40°C
    Toshiba Tecra M3
    malcolml@kermit-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: HTS541010G9AT00: 30°C
    AMD 4400 X2
    malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdc
    /dev/sdc: WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0: 56°C
    malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdd
    /dev/sdd: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 35°C
    malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sde
    /dev/sde: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 33°C

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    Malcolm, Aug 12, 2007
  8. Squiggle

    thingy Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Just been playing round with the airflow thru my case, managed to get
    > the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting 45C+.. how bad
    > is this for them?
    >
    > El Chippy

    I just got a case with a "guaranteed" internal temp of 38Deg C, so 45Deg
    C seems reasonable...for myself I make sure a drive has an airflow over
    it, makes a huge difference to the surface temp and my piece of mind.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 13, 2007
  9. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>> "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    >>> I just looked up a few recent Harddisk stats and they have saying
    >>> they can go up to around 70C (temp of HDD) / 60C (temp of ambiant area)
    >>>
    >>> then 45C is quite OKfor the HDD as its qutie within its operational
    >>> area.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Thanks Craig
    >>
    >> Useful to know.
    >> I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at
    >> 52C. I'm sure that cant be good.
    >> Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and
    >> cardboard to see what I can do about getting it down.

    > How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming is
    > causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video cards
    > heating up nearby?

    I have a GB of ram, and the games in question aren't exactly the latest
    and greatest (NFS:MW and Overlord) so the drives aren't being worked
    particularly hard, just not enough airflow I think.
    Temps finally levelled out at 53 and 48 degrees in the curent setup.

    Yep, definatley just an airflow thing. Computer has been idling since it
    finished booting (around 20mins ago) and temps are at 40C and climbing
    still. Room temp is around 20C.
    Squiggle, Aug 13, 2007
  10. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:22:22 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    >"Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>> "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    >>> I just looked up a few recent Harddisk stats and they have saying they
    >>> can go up to around 70C (temp of HDD) / 60C (temp of ambiant area)
    >>>
    >>> then 45C is quite OKfor the HDD as its qutie within its operational area.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Thanks Craig
    >>
    >> Useful to know.
    >> I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at 52C.
    >> I'm sure that cant be good.
    >> Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and cardboard
    >> to see what I can do about getting it down.

    >How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming is
    >causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video cards
    >heating up nearby?

    Or a fan in front of the Drives like most better cases have..

    Seems like its a crap case to me..
    Greg House, Aug 13, 2007
  11. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:38:37 -0500, Malcolm <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:22:22 +1200
    >"Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks Craig
    >> >
    >> > Useful to know.
    >> > I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at
    >> > 52C. I'm sure that cant be good.
    >> > Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and
    >> > cardboard to see what I can do about getting it down.

    >> How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming
    >> is causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video
    >> cards heating up nearby?
    >>

    >Hi
    >Room temperature around 21°C
    >
    >Ultra10
    >malcolml@ernie:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    >/dev/hda: WDC WD800JB-00JJC0: 44°C
    >Sunblade150
    >malcolml@bert:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    >/dev/hda: Maxtor 6Y200P0: 40°C
    >Toshiba Tecra M3
    >malcolml@kermit-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    >/dev/sda: HTS541010G9AT00: 30°C
    >AMD 4400 X2
    >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    >/dev/sda: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdb
    >/dev/sdb: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdc
    >/dev/sdc: WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0: 56°C
    >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdd
    >/dev/sdd: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 35°C
    >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sde
    >/dev/sde: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 33°C

    How about some Plain Text, not this crappy Lunix version, hard to read..

    I have always be told that Lunix is utter crap but this now even proves it..
    Greg House, Aug 13, 2007

  12. > particularly hard, just not enough airflow I think.
    > Temps finally levelled out at 53 and 48 degrees in the curent setup.

    Check the specs out for your actual hardrive, but 50C should be quite ok for
    a recent harddrive to work comfortablly (maybe not your fingers)

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 13, 2007
  13. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:33:17 +1200, Squiggle <> wrote:

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> "Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks Craig
    >>>
    >>> Useful to know.
    >>> I've just been gaming for an hour or so and one of my drives is at
    >>> 52C. I'm sure that cant be good.
    >>> Tuesday will see another 80mm fan and a play with duct tape and
    >>> cardboard to see what I can do about getting it down.

    >> How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming is
    >> causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video cards
    >> heating up nearby?
    >>

    >I have a GB of ram, and the games in question aren't exactly the latest
    >and greatest (NFS:MW and Overlord) so the drives aren't being worked
    >particularly hard, just not enough airflow I think.
    >Temps finally levelled out at 53 and 48 degrees in the curent setup.
    >
    >Yep, definatley just an airflow thing. Computer has been idling since it
    >finished booting (around 20mins ago) and temps are at 40C and climbing
    >still. Room temp is around 20C.

    Are the Drives stacked together with out a gap between them..?

    Just tested mine PC been running for some 3 hours or more, Room Temp is 18c,

    Seagate drives are 25c

    WDC is 22c

    And this is a Games computer with a bit of grunt 500w PSU with some 4 case fans, one a PC slot fan.

    2 fan PSU
    Greg House, Aug 13, 2007
  14. Squiggle

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:02:17 +1200
    Greg House < wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:38:37 -0500, Malcolm
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:22:22 +1200
    > >"Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    > >> How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming
    > >> is causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video
    > >> cards heating up nearby?
    > >>

    > >Hi
    > >Room temperature around 21°C
    > >
    > >Ultra10
    > >malcolml@ernie:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    > >/dev/hda: WDC WD800JB-00JJC0: 44°C
    > >Sunblade150
    > >malcolml@bert:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    > >/dev/hda: Maxtor 6Y200P0: 40°C
    > >Toshiba Tecra M3
    > >malcolml@kermit-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    > >/dev/sda: HTS541010G9AT00: 30°C
    > >AMD 4400 X2
    > >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    > >/dev/sda: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    > >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdb
    > >/dev/sdb: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    > >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdc
    > >/dev/sdc: WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0: 56°C
    > >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdd
    > >/dev/sdd: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 35°C
    > >malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sde
    > >/dev/sde: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 33°C

    > How about some Plain Text, not this crappy Lunix version, hard to
    > read..
    >
    > I have always be told that Lunix is utter crap but this now even
    > proves it..

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml>hddtemp /dev/sda
    'hddtemp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    How do I get the hard drive temperatures in windows?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    Malcolm, Aug 13, 2007
  15. Squiggle

    Rhino Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:06:53 -0500, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    >How do I get the hard drive temperatures in windows?

    Download speedfan from www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    works fine for me with my Seagate IDE drive.
    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Aug 13, 2007
  16. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:33:17 +1200, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>> "Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    >>> How much ram do you have? might be worth getting more ram if gaming is
    >>> causing the HD to get hit hard. Unless its heat from your video cards
    >>> heating up nearby?
    >>>

    >> I have a GB of ram, and the games in question aren't exactly the latest
    >> and greatest (NFS:MW and Overlord) so the drives aren't being worked
    >> particularly hard, just not enough airflow I think.
    >> Temps finally levelled out at 53 and 48 degrees in the curent setup.
    >>
    >> Yep, definatley just an airflow thing. Computer has been idling since it
    >> finished booting (around 20mins ago) and temps are at 40C and climbing
    >> still. Room temp is around 20C.

    > Are the Drives stacked together with out a gap between them..?
    >
    > Just tested mine PC been running for some 3 hours or more, Room Temp is 18c,
    >
    > Seagate drives are 25c
    >
    > WDC is 22c
    >
    > And this is a Games computer with a bit of grunt 500w PSU with some 4 case fans, one a PC slot fan.
    >
    > 2 fan PSU

    Sod that for a laught, the noise of 6 fans would drive me bonkers.

    I should be able to get mine down under 30C with 3 fans, and it'll be
    whisper quiet when idling too hopefully.

    With 6 fans i'd expect it to keep my drinks cold too :)

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Aug 13, 2007
  17. Squiggle

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:04:22 +1200, Rhino <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:06:53 -0500, Malcolm
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>How do I get the hard drive temperatures in windows?

    >Download speedfan from www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    >
    >works fine for me with my Seagate IDE drive.
    >Cheers, Rhino

    Have any of you tried DTEMP, shows the Temp of the drives in the System Tray, a very simple and
    usefull program..

    This has a default RED warning of 41C but that can be set buy the options with a right click on the
    drive icons in the system tray.

    http://www.private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/download.html
    Greg House, Aug 13, 2007
  18. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    > > Just been playing round with the airflow thru my case, managed to
    > > get the CPU temp right down, but now my hdd temps are hitting
    > > 45C+.. how bad is this for them?
    > >
    > > El Chippy

    > I just got a case with a "guaranteed" internal temp of 38Deg C, so
    > 45Deg C seems reasonable...for myself I make sure a drive has an
    > airflow over it, makes a huge difference to the surface temp and my
    > piece of mind.

    Same here. I have three Seagate 7,200 drives in this case and they're at....
    two at 22°C and one at 24°C. Room is a bit cold, around 16°. The drives get
    fresh "outside case" air delivered via one of two fans blowing in, one 80mm
    sideways through a two-drive drive-cage (Thermaltake Xaser case) and one
    120mm in the lower part of the case where the third drive is mounted with
    rails.

    Ever since a friend's (Samsung 7,200 "Spinpoint") HDD packed up from poor
    case ventilation and being in a caravan in the middle of summer I've been
    really careful with drive cooling.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2007
  19. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:02:17 +1200
    > Greg House < wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:38:37 -0500, Malcolm
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > Hi
    > > > Room temperature around 21°C
    > > >
    > > > Ultra10
    > > > malcolml@ernie:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    > > > /dev/hda: WDC WD800JB-00JJC0: 44°C
    > > > Sunblade150
    > > > malcolml@bert:~$ hddtemp /dev/hda
    > > > /dev/hda: Maxtor 6Y200P0: 40°C
    > > > Toshiba Tecra M3
    > > > malcolml@kermit-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    > > > /dev/sda: HTS541010G9AT00: 30°C
    > > > AMD 4400 X2
    > > > malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sda
    > > > /dev/sda: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    > > > malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdb
    > > > /dev/sdb: WDC WD360GD-00FNA0: 27°C
    > > > malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdc
    > > > /dev/sdc: WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0: 56°C
    > > > malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sdd
    > > > /dev/sdd: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 35°C
    > > > malcolml@oscar-sled:~> hddtemp /dev/sde
    > > > /dev/sde: WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1: 33°C

    > > How about some Plain Text, not this crappy Lunix version, hard to
    > > read..
    > >
    > > I have always be told that Lunix is utter crap but this now even
    > > proves it..
    > >

    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml>hddtemp /dev/sda
    > 'hddtemp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file.
    >
    > How do I get the hard drive temperatures in windows?

    :) With a thermometer?

    Either that or third-party software like MBM5 or Speedfan. (But I know that
    you know that anyway. <g>)
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2007
  20. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Greg House wrote:
    > > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:33:17 +1200, Squiggle <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > I have a GB of ram, and the games in question aren't exactly the
    > > > latest and greatest (NFS:MW and Overlord) so the drives aren't
    > > > being worked particularly hard, just not enough airflow I think.
    > > > Temps finally levelled out at 53 and 48 degrees in the curent
    > > > setup. Yep, definatley just an airflow thing. Computer has been idling
    > > > since it finished booting (around 20mins ago) and temps are at
    > > > 40C and climbing still. Room temp is around 20C.

    > > Are the Drives stacked together with out a gap between them..?
    > >
    > > Just tested mine PC been running for some 3 hours or more, Room
    > > Temp is 18c, Seagate drives are 25c
    > >
    > > WDC is 22c
    > >
    > > And this is a Games computer with a bit of grunt 500w PSU with
    > > some 4 case fans, one a PC slot fan. 2 fan PSU
    > >

    > Sod that for a laught, the noise of 6 fans would drive me bonkers.
    >
    > I should be able to get mine down under 30C with 3 fans, and it'll be
    > whisper quiet when idling too hopefully.
    >
    > With 6 fans i'd expect it to keep my drinks cold too :)
    >
    > El Chippy

    <crosses fingers>

    I haven't got eight fans in my case, honest.

    Although, to be fair, three are CPU, GPU and NB and two are PSU.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2007