Hard drive suddenly acts like it was just plugged in

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Roky, Sep 20, 2010.

  1. Roky

    Roky Guest

    I have a 1 TB fantom hard drive,usb connection, to hp athlon 4600 dual
    core pc.

    The hard drive will suddenly for no apparent reason act like it was
    just plugged in, the autoplay window opens up and it scans all its
    files, then the other window opens up, where you choose what to do,
    like open file.

    It is only doing this occasionally, like once a day, which
    causes problems with uploading on Utorrent as the file that is
    uploading displays"no device connected".

    DOES this mean my hard drive is bad, or is going bad?
    Should I get it replaced while under warranty?
    Will they send me a new one or just a refurbished one?

    Yes I have backed up my hard drive to a WD 2tb one.

    Thanks.
    Roky, Sep 20, 2010

  2. "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:03:15 -0700, Roky wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 1 TB fantom hard drive,usb connection, to hp athlon 4600 dual
    >> core pc.
    >>
    >> The hard drive will suddenly for no apparent reason act like it was just
    >> plugged in, the autoplay window opens up and it scans all its files,
    >> then the other window opens up, where you choose what to do, like open
    >> file.
    >>
    >> It is only doing this occasionally, like once a day, which causes
    >> problems with uploading on Utorrent as the file that is uploading
    >> displays"no device connected".
    >>
    >> DOES this mean my hard drive is bad, or is going bad? Should I get it
    >> replaced while under warranty? Will they send me a new one or just a
    >> refurbished one?
    >>
    >> Yes I have backed up my hard drive to a WD 2tb one.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Power supply may have problems. Randomly kicking off then immediately
    > turning back on. Power cord may have a poor connection in an old
    > outlet. Is it connected to a UPS?
    > --

    That's a good suggestion, and I was gonna make the same comment. One test
    would be to plug in a different USB drive and see if it behaves the same
    way. If so, then my money is on the failing power supply or related type of
    malfunction.

    In a related but entirely different problem, I had an issue the other day
    with the HDMI cable from the settop box to the TV. The cable was not firmly
    inserted into the TV, and the TV reported NO SIGNAL on any of its available
    inputs. The "related" part of this is that the USB cable or plug on either
    end could be having problems that cause the connected device to go away for
    a moment then come back. One could test this by doing a wiggle test at
    different places.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 22, 2010

  3. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Sep 22, 8:58 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    One could test this by doing a wiggle test at
    > different places.

    I did the wiggle test on the usb plug and that caused the problem.
    I changed to a different port and did the test and got the same
    problem.
    So I guess it is a bad cable.
    I will replace the cable.

    Thanks a lot.
    Roky
    Roky, Sep 23, 2010
  4. "Roky" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 22, 8:58 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    One could test this by doing a wiggle test at
    > different places.

    I did the wiggle test on the usb plug and that caused the problem.
    I changed to a different port and did the test and got the same
    problem.
    So I guess it is a bad cable.
    I will replace the cable.

    Thanks a lot.