    lurk Guest

    is there any way to check the speed of a hard drive....say the
    older 5200 and the newer 7200 ...thanks
    lurk, Apr 23, 2005

  2. lurk wrote:
    > is there any way to check the speed of a hard drive....say the
    > older 5200 and the newer 7200 ...thanks

    Do you mean the transfer rates, access times? You can look up the
    specifications provided by the mfg if you have the model number. Or you
    can run some benchmark tests yourself. One example:
    http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach
    Note that there's one version for WinXP and 2K, another for earlier Windows.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 23, 2005

  3. lurk

    lurk Guest

    thanks for the link.....RPM is what I'm looking for.....I'll check
    the link out...again thank you

    lurk, Apr 23, 2005
  4. lurk

    Aquanaut Guest

    "lurk" <> wrote in message
    > is there any way to check the speed of a hard drive....say the
    > older 5200 and the newer 7200 ...thanks

    open the box and read the label/spec printed on the drive is a fail safe
    way.
    Testing integrity etc--tools are on manufacturers websites---note,do not use
    maxtor software to test a samsung drive,testing is manufacturer specific.
    Si-soft Sandra may give you the info you are looking for
    Aquanaut, Apr 23, 2005
  5. lurk

    Plato Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > lurk wrote:
    > > is there any way to check the speed of a hard drive....say the
    > > older 5200 and the newer 7200 ...thanks

    5400 and 7200 are rpms. Perhaps 5200 is also.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 24, 2005