    is how do I free space a significant amount of space on the c drive and
    transfer it to the d drive which has more space? Any helpful info would be
    appreciated.

    Michael Washington, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Michael Washington

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >|I have a laptop that has a c drive that has a 4.4gb hard drive with
    >| 256mb free and a d drive that has a 6.73 hard drive with 5.87 gb
    >| free. My question is how do I free space a significant amount of
    >| space on the c drive and transfer it to the d drive which has more
    >| space? Any helpful info would be appreciated.

    First thing I'd do is move "My Documents" to the D: drive. If you are using
    Windows XP, right click on "My Documents" (either on the desktop or the
    start menu) and select Properties. From there, you can automatically move
    the entire folder and contents.

    Second, set your swap drive (virtual memory) to D: - rightclick on "My
    Computer", select Properties, click on the Advanced tab, then the
    Performance Settings button. There's another Advanced tab - click on that,
    then the Change button for Virtual Memory. You should be able to change the
    drive there.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Michael Washington

    AD Guest

    Hi,
    what does changing the vitual memory do?
    Thanks
    AD

    AD, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Michael Washington

    Toolman Tim Guest

    When you have two physical drives, it allows Windows to read/write to the
    'swap file' more efficiently. If say drive C: is reading from cylinder 950,
    and the swap file is on drive C: at cylinder 10, the drive has to fling the
    heads back and forth. If however, the swap file is on drive D: then the read
    heads at C: don't have to move, nor do the heads have to move on the drive
    with the swap file. Simplified, but reasonably adequate explanation, I hope
    :)

    >| Hi,
    >| what does changing the vitual memory do?
    >| Thanks
    >| AD
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| >
    >| > First thing I'd do is move "My Documents" to the D: drive. If you
    >| > are using Windows XP, right click on "My Documents" (either on the
    >| > desktop or the start menu) and select Properties. From there, you
    >| > can automatically move the entire folder and contents.
    >| >
    >| > Second, set your swap drive (virtual memory) to D: - rightclick on
    >| > "My Computer", select Properties, click on the Advanced tab, then
    >| > the Performance Settings button. There's another Advanced tab -
    >| > click on that, then the Change button for Virtual Memory. You
    >| > should be able to change the drive there.
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
    >| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 2, 2004