    place to do the business. Does that seem reasonable? Sorry to be so
    lacking amidst all you well informed peeps. Very grateful for any help

    Nige Meadows

    Nige Meadows, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Nige Meadows

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Nige Meadows <> wrote in news:cf1uq7$79u$1
    @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > Am having storage problems at present due to my personal fixation with
    > video editing software and the production of half-decent holiday cd's.
    > It's great fun but it sure eats the memory. I've come to a grinding
    > halt on my latest production and have run out of space. I need to
    > acquire a second 40gb drive but given the number of options available,
    > have absolutely no idea what I should or should not be looking for.

    I'm
    > using a Compaq Presario 6046EA, with Pentium 4 and a 40gb UDMA Hard
    > drive. I need a second drive. I have no IT background and would be
    > grateful if someone could tell me what types of drive would be
    > compatible with my system. Do i need a particular model?type? and if
    > so, how do i find out what that is? Also, I'm told that Ebuyer is the
    > place to do the business. Does that seem reasonable? Sorry to be so
    > lacking amidst all you well informed peeps. Very grateful for any

    help

    This is just to give you the big picture about the HD prices, like one of
    those 200gig ones.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_hdd.asp

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Nige Meadows

    Brad Griffis Guest

    I tried looking up your computer to find the specs but didn't any luck.
    You'll need to look in the manual (or in the case) to see if it will take an
    ATA hard drive or SATA hard drive.

    Some safe brands to buy are Western Digital, Seagate, and Maxtor. I do some
    video editing too and recommend that you definitely buy something bigger
    than 40 GB. I'd recommend 100 GB. If you ever do anything bigger than a
    holiday video you'll be thankful for the extra space. Plus having the 100
    GB drive won't get fragmented as quickly while you're editing.

    I recommend buying one with an 8MB buffer on it (most come with a 2MB
    buffer) and definitely 7200 RPM. They have drives even faster than 7200 RPM
    now but they're still pretty expensive and I've heard people say they're
    kind of loud.

    I recommend you buy it online as you'll save a bundle. I've shopped
    http://www.newegg.com for years and they are excellent.

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, Aug 7, 2004