    failure computer hardware or network,

    I am able to boot from a live Knoppix linux CD,how can I use linux to
    recover,run utiliies on this drive so it boots in XP?

    Joe, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Joe

    John Dearing Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > I have a hard drive,running XP home,that won't boot to GUI.Keeps
    > rebooting,I tried "fixmbr" but still reboots. Get this error" Pri
    > master HD SMART status bad,backup and replace"

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is your clue right there. SMART is a technology that lets hard
    drives let the system know when they are dying.

    It looks like you've got a drive with some major problems.

    I suggest you get a replacement drive, reinstall XP and install the old
    drive as a slave, then pull whatever data you can off the old drive.

    > Tried R restore XP,but cant remember admin password
    >
    > What started this was,I was converting audio files from CD to real
    > player MP3s
    > Got a freeze up and this error
    > "windows delayed write failed" windows/system32\config\syEventEVT.,
    > failure computer hardware or network,
    >
    > I am able to boot from a live Knoppix linux CD,how can I use linux to
    > recover,run utiliies on this drive so it boots in XP?

    I rather doubt that this drive will ever boot anything again. It's time
    for a replacement.

    John
    --
    John Dearing - A+, Network+
    To reply: just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address

    John Dearing, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    What if I can attach a new drive as slave,boot from dos, using drive
    copy or driveworks software pgm , to copy "bad" drive to new? Would
    that copy bad sectors also ,defeating the purpose? So I'd end up with
    TWO bad drives?

    Joe, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    the other problem,is XP activation, as this XP has gone through
    several drives,once i had to call and pay for toll call to MSHAFT
    for a code!

    but its same mobo, mac address, should XP activation create problems?

    Joe, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Joe

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi Joe,

    Sorry to hear about your problem. To reiterate, John hit it right on the
    head. The drive is either dead or has one gasp left.

    First, get another drive, load whatever version of windows you wish, and try
    to recover what you can off the old drive. You are right, with a drive
    image, you will copy over, possibly, the bad data, but since smart kicked
    in, it's probably a hardware failure, not software. To be blunt, be
    thankful if you can get that folder of mp3's off of it...

    As far as the activation on xp, a simple drive swap should not activate the
    need to reactivate. I've made several changes to my xp machine at home, and
    the only time I have had to redo was when I changed the motherboard, amount
    of ram and cpu. I didn't really complain, since it's basically a new system
    at that point. I did get kinda pissy with the M$N rep, but they were rude
    first. ;-) The only single piece of hardware swap that I have heard of
    making xp try to reactivate is a NIC swap. Even then, it's few and far
    between.

    I'm just as guilty, but maybe some backup software with that new drive? ^_^

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 19, 2003