Hard Drive Revving noise

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve.IA, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. Steve.IA

    Steve.IA Guest

    Dell Optiplex GX280
    XP pro SP3.
    Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 6Y250M0 HD
    2048 Mbytes Ram

    Occasionally, even when pc is not working hard, say, playing solitaire or
    using MSWord to write this, I can hear the HD rev up for a few seconds
    then coast down. It will often not do it for hours, but after it starts,
    it revs every 15 seconds or so and may or may not continue. I can't make
    it start, and nothing I've tried will make it stop. It seems to have a
    mind of its own, starting and stopping the series of revs.

    I've watched using Task Manager and Process Explorer but can't see
    anything unusual. The CPU usage doesn't come close to maxing out, just
    little spikes that may or may not coincide with the sounds. They rarely
    go over 4% usage.
    I've checked the processes being used and see nothing unusual.
    For test purposes I've shut off the AVG antivirus and physically
    disconnected from the internet, but this has no effect on the sound
    generation or frequency.
    I've checked the Event Viewer and saw nothing that corresponded to the
    revving noise.
    The temperature sensor hasn't gone over 140ºF whenever I've checked it
    and it revs at cooler temps also. The PC has 2 cooling fans, 1 for the HD
    and 1 other. The sound is not coming from these fans as I've had the
    case open listening for the sound and it's definitely the HD.

    The PC is running fine, it's just new to me and the sound is
    disconcerting as I've never had one make this kind of sound for no good
    reason. (well, maybe it's a good reason, I just can't identify what it
    is.)

    Is this revving normal? Is it just a noisy HD?
    Thanks for your kind responses.

    Steve
    41ºN
    Steve.IA, Apr 9, 2009

  2. Bloke, you're not gunna hear the sound of a HDD spinning up over the rest of
    the system.

    Take the CD out of the drive.

    Centre Parting, Apr 10, 2009

  3. Steve.IA

    Steve.IA Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:14:54 +0000 (UTC), "Steve.IA"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dell Optiplex GX280
    >>XP pro SP3.
    >>Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    >>Maxtor 6Y250M0 HD
    >>2048 Mbytes Ram
    >>
    >>Occasionally, even when pc is not working hard, say, playing solitaire
    >>or using MSWord to write this, I can hear the HD rev up for a few
    >>seconds then coast down. It will often not do it for hours, but after
    >>it starts, it revs every 15 seconds or so and may or may not continue.
    >> I can't make it start, and nothing I've tried will make it stop. It
    >>seems to have a mind of its own, starting and stopping the series of
    >>revs.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I agree with C.D. Sounds like a CD drive, not a hard drive. You keep a
    > CD or DVD in the drive?

    NO CD or DVD. I checked that early on, but forgot to mention is OP.
    Sorry.

    Steve
    Steve.IA, Apr 10, 2009
  4. Steve.IA

    Steve.IA Guest

    "Doug" <> wrote in news:grlodm$5s6$1
    @news.motzarella.org:

    > Steve.IA wrote:
    >>> Dell Optiplex GX280
    >>> XP pro SP3.
    >>> Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    >>> Maxtor 6Y250M0 HD
    >>> 2048 Mbytes Ram
    >>>
    >>> Occasionally, even when pc is not working hard, say, playing
    >>> solitaire or using MSWord to write this, I can hear the HD rev up
    >>> for a few seconds then coast down. It will often not do it for
    >>> hours, but after it starts, it revs every 15 seconds or so and may
    >>> or may not continue. I can't make it start, and nothing I've tried
    >>> will make it stop. It seems to have a mind of its own, starting and
    >>> stopping the series of revs.
    >>>
    >>> I've watched using Task Manager and Process Explorer but can't see
    >>> anything unusual. The CPU usage doesn't come close to maxing out,
    >>> just little spikes that may or may not coincide with the sounds.
    >>> They rarely go over 4% usage.
    >>> I've checked the processes being used and see nothing unusual.
    >>> For test purposes I've shut off the AVG antivirus and physically
    >>> disconnected from the internet, but this has no effect on the sound
    >>> generation or frequency.
    >>> I've checked the Event Viewer and saw nothing that corresponded to
    >>> the revving noise.
    >>> The temperature sensor hasn't gone over 140ºF whenever I've checked
    >>> it and it revs at cooler temps also. The PC has 2 cooling fans, 1
    >>> for the HD and 1 other. The sound is not coming from these fans as
    >>> I've had the case open listening for the sound and it's definitely
    >>> the HD.
    >>>
    >>> The PC is running fine, it's just new to me and the sound is
    >>> disconcerting as I've never had one make this kind of sound for no
    >>> good reason. (well, maybe it's a good reason, I just can't identify
    >>> what it is.)
    >>>
    >>> Is this revving normal? Is it just a noisy HD?
    >>> Thanks for your kind responses.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>> 41ºN

    > Or a fan.
    >
    > Is it dirty inside?
    >

    >>> The PC has 2 cooling fans, 1
    >>> for the HD and 1 other. The sound is not coming from these fans as
    >>> I've had the case open listening for the sound and it's definitely
    >>> the HD

    Inside the case is clean. Thanks for your response

    Steve
    Steve.IA, Apr 10, 2009
  5. Steve.IA

    Steve.IA Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > Maybe,
    > PCGuide - Ref - Hard Disk Quality and Reliability Issues
    > Another key issue with hard disk noise is that while seek noise
    > specifications just consist of the actuator noise "added" to the
    > spindle noise, ...
    > www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/issues_Noise.htm - 3k - Cached -
    >
    > The prefeteh, write caching writing.... S.M.A.R.T is enabled/disabled?

    I'm not familiar with SMART, but will read up and get back to you.

    >>then coast down. It will often not do it for hours, but after it
    >>starts, it revs every 15 seconds or so and may or may not continue. I
    >>can't make it start, and nothing I've tried will make it stop. It
    >>seems to have a mind of its own, starting and stopping the series of
    >>revs.
    >>
    >>I've watched using Task Manager and Process Explorer but can't see

    > Well it's hard to tell on something that crude, when (if it's any data
    > read/writes) for a very short operation.
    >
    > If not TM/PE how about
    > DiskMon
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896646.aspx
    > maybe FileMon
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

    I've downloaded these just now and will watch them and see what I find.
    Thanks.

    Steve
    Steve.IA, Apr 10, 2009
  6. Steve.IA

    Steve.IA Guest

    "Steve.IA" <> wrote in

    > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> The prefeteh, write caching writing.... S.M.A.R.T is enabled/disabled?

    > I'm not familiar with SMART, but will read up and get back to you.

    S.M.A.R.T is disabled.

    Steve
    Steve.IA, Apr 10, 2009
  7. Steve.IA

    lugnut Guest

    On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:37:49 +0000 (UTC), "Steve.IA"
    <> wrote:

    >"Doug" <> wrote in news:grlodm$5s6$1
    >@news.motzarella.org:

    >> Or a fan.
    >>
    >> Is it dirty inside?

    >Inside the case is clean. Thanks for your response
    >
    >Steve

    Check your BIOS settings for system power controls. Also,
    check your Windows power setup. It may be that the hard
    drive is setup to power down after a period of inactivity as
    a power saving scheme. You may need to set the powerdown
    period to a longer interval. This will result in higher
    energy consumption and shorter battery life on a laptop.

    Lugnut
    lugnut, Apr 10, 2009
  8. Steve.IA

    Andy Guest

    Steve.IA wrote:

    > Dell Optiplex GX280
    > XP pro SP3.
    > Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    > Maxtor 6Y250M0 HD
    > 2048 Mbytes Ram
    >
    > Occasionally, even when pc is not working hard, say, playing solitaire or
    > using MSWord to write this, I can hear the HD rev up for a few seconds
    > then coast down. It will often not do it for hours, but after it starts,
    > it revs every 15 seconds or so and may or may not continue. I can't make
    > it start, and nothing I've tried will make it stop. It seems to have a
    > mind of its own, starting and stopping the series of revs.

    <snip>

    > Is this revving normal? Is it just a noisy HD?

    Sounds more like the CPU fan changing speed (getting faster) as the
    temperature changes (getting warmer) - as it's designed to do.

    Andy.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/
    Andy, Apr 10, 2009
  9. Steve.IA

    Guest

    "Steve.IA" <> wrote:

    >> I'm not familiar with SMART, but will read up and get back to you.

    >S.M.A.R.T is disabled.

    You should have S.M.A.R.T enabled, it just might give you the warning
    you need to back-up your keepers before the H.D. bits it.

    I use HD Health http://www.panterasoft.com/ for this (there are many
    and I have three other sources installed (speedfan..)

    But to see what the HD is up to download filemon.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

    Don't download Process Monitor for this as advised in the above link,
    it will just confuse you - and your just after HD activity.
    --

    jump rope without the rope :)
    http://jumpsnap.com/
  10. Steve.IA