    pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents tranfered
    to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

    Guest, May 25, 2006

  2. Guest

    philo Guest

    <> wrote in message news:e52om9$ref$...
    > I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    > pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    > programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents

    tranfered
    > to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

    All you need do is backup your data,
    format the drive and reinstall your operating system...
    then restore your data.

    The easy way would be to simply do a drive search and delete the unwanted
    "data"

    Also clear your internet cache and temp files

    philo, May 25, 2006

  3. Guest

    John Holmes Guest

    blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on
    > my pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of
    > my programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
    > tranfered to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense
    > transfering too?

    The answer is no. What if "he" left something in your
    programs,documents,or settings? Format, reinstall and don't let any of
    your boyfriends near your computer anymore.

    --
    Your mother was an infuriating block of concrete who served a life
    sentence near a rubber factory.

    John Holmes, May 25, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message news:e52om9$ref$...
    >> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    >> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    >> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents

    > tranfered
    >> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?
    >>

    > All you need do is backup your data,
    > format the drive and reinstall your operating system...
    > then restore your data.
    >
    > The easy way would be to simply do a drive search and delete the unwanted
    > "data"
    >
    > Also clear your internet cache and temp files

    I do not wish to do that. Can I just get a chap to transfer my
    programs/documents straight onto a new HD without the junk following on
    during the transfer?

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    > pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    > programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents tranfered
    > to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

    There's no program that will go through all of the files on your drive
    and remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure what you
    mean by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on Start then
    Search and look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on Advanced Search
    and then More Advanced Options and choose to look in hidden files and
    folders and also system files and folders. Delete the ones you don't
    want to keep.

    If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look for
    ..doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available. But with
    just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove everything yourself.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    >> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    >> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
    >> tranfered to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering
    >> too?

    > There's no program that will go through all of the files on your drive and
    > remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure what you mean
    > by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on Start then Search and
    > look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on Advanced Search and then
    > More Advanced Options and choose to look in hidden files and folders and
    > also system files and folders. Delete the ones you don't want to keep.
    >
    > If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look for
    > .doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available. But with
    > just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove everything yourself.

    I am pretty certain he hasn't "planted" anything intentionally and I don't
    have the time or knowledge to do anything myself. I just want my programs
    transfered to a new HD and no footprints left showing where he may have been
    looking or what he may have written. If necessary I will dump my documents
    or keep them on line in a gmail account. Can that be done?

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  7. Guest

    Mitch Guest

    In article <e52om9$ref$>, <> wrote:

    > I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    > pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    > programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents tranfered
    > to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

    To do what you asked, you'd have to know either what he put on or where
    he put it -- that is the only way.
    If you are going to transfer programs and files, what is protecting you
    from moving the malware? Only knowledge.

    You need to use protection -- if you use Windows, that means a
    firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware tools. All three -- at the very
    least. You needed them from day one, and you always will.

    After running stuff like that, you can try backing up files and maybe
    reinstalling the OS and apps, but if you think there is something else
    on the drive you can't just copy stuff over and figure the malware
    might not get copied -- it almost certainly would get copied.

    Mitch, May 25, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    >>>pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    >>>programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
    >>>tranfered to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering
    >>>too?

    >>There's no program that will go through all of the files on your drive and
    >>remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure what you mean
    >>by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on Start then Search and
    >>look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on Advanced Search and then
    >>More Advanced Options and choose to look in hidden files and folders and
    >>also system files and folders. Delete the ones you don't want to keep.
    >>
    >>If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look for
    >>.doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available. But with
    >>just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove everything yourself.

    > I am pretty certain he hasn't "planted" anything intentionally and I don't
    > have the time or knowledge to do anything myself. I just want my programs
    > transfered to a new HD and no footprints left showing where he may have been
    > looking or what he may have written. If necessary I will dump my documents
    > or keep them on line in a gmail account. Can that be done?

    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've gone completely
    insane. Don't worry, it's happened to the best of us, but you need to be
    aware.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <e52om9$ref$>, <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
    >> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
    >> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
    >> tranfered
    >> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?
    >>

    > To do what you asked, you'd have to know either what he put on or where
    > he put it -- that is the only way.
    > If you are going to transfer programs and files, what is protecting you
    > from moving the malware? Only knowledge.
    >
    > You need to use protection -- if you use Windows, that means a
    > firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware tools. All three -- at the very
    > least. You needed them from day one, and you always will.
    >
    > After running stuff like that, you can try backing up files and maybe
    > reinstalling the OS and apps, but if you think there is something else
    > on the drive you can't just copy stuff over and figure the malware
    > might not get copied -- it almost certainly would get copied.

    Cannot my programs be transfered via a memory stick thingy onto a newly
    formated OS?

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  10. Guest

    John Holmes Guest

    Rôgêr blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>There's no program that will go through all of the files on your
    >>>drive and remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure
    >>>what you mean by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on
    >>>Start then Search and look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on
    >>>hidden files and folders and also system files and folders. Delete
    >>>the ones you don't want to keep.
    >>>
    >>>If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look
    >>>for .doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available.
    >>>But with just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove
    >>>everything yourself.

    >> I am pretty certain he hasn't "planted" anything intentionally and I
    >> don't have the time or knowledge to do anything myself. I just want
    >> my programs transfered to a new HD and no footprints left showing
    >> where he may have been looking or what he may have written. If
    >> necessary I will dump my documents or keep them on line in a gmail
    >> account. Can that be done?

    > I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've gone completely
    > insane. Don't worry, it's happened to the best of us, but you need to
    > be aware.

    PSML!!

    --
    Your mother was a crazed toilet cleaner who was so incompetent she had to
    be kept on a coca plantation near Bogota.

    John Holmes, May 25, 2006
  11. Guest

    clot Guest

    wrote:
    > "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <e52om9$ref$>, <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty"
    >>> on my pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose
    >>> any of my programs/documents. Is it possible to have just
    >>> programs/documents tranfered
    >>> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?
    >>>

    >> To do what you asked, you'd have to know either what he put on or
    >> where he put it -- that is the only way.
    >> If you are going to transfer programs and files, what is protecting
    >> you from moving the malware? Only knowledge.
    >>
    >> You need to use protection -- if you use Windows, that means a
    >> firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware tools. All three -- at the
    >> very least. You needed them from day one, and you always will.
    >>
    >> After running stuff like that, you can try backing up files and maybe
    >> reinstalling the OS and apps, but if you think there is something
    >> else on the drive you can't just copy stuff over and figure the
    >> malware might not get copied -- it almost certainly would get copied.

    > Cannot my programs be transfered via a memory stick thingy onto a
    > newly formated OS?

    Hi.

    I came in late to this thread and killed your initial query. I am
    appreciate your position but you need to clean up the existing HDD.
    Whilst you can transfer your data files (which might be free of
    nasties), moving your programs without gremlins is going to be much more
    difficult.

    You need to remove gremlins: Adaware, Spybot and AVG come to mind but
    there are many others. Just Google!

    clot, May 25, 2006
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "clot" <> wrote in message

    > Hi.
    >
    > I came in late to this thread and killed your initial query. I am
    > appreciate your position but you need to clean up the existing HDD. Whilst
    > you can transfer your data files (which might be free of nasties), moving
    > your programs without gremlins is going to be much more difficult.
    >
    > You need to remove gremlins: Adaware, Spybot and AVG come to mind but
    > there are many others. Just Google!

    I appreciate what you are saying but I will not be happy until I have a new
    HD as I do not know who or where he has been writing to nor what he has been
    looking at and I do not want anything on my HD other than my own stuff and
    that is why I am wanting to buy a new HD and just keep my programs.

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  13. Guest

    clot Guest

    wrote:
    > "clot" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I came in late to this thread and killed your initial query. I am
    >> appreciate your position but you need to clean up the existing HDD.
    >> Whilst you can transfer your data files (which might be free of
    >> nasties), moving your programs without gremlins is going to be much
    >> more difficult. You need to remove gremlins: Adaware, Spybot and AVG
    >> come to mind but
    >> there are many others. Just Google!

    > I appreciate what you are saying but I will not be happy until I have
    > a new HD as I do not know who or where he has been writing to nor
    > what he has been looking at and I do not want anything on my HD other
    > than my own stuff and that is why I am wanting to buy a new HD and
    > just keep my programs.

    In which case, do you have your operating system on a CD? Where have
    your other programs been obtained from? Could you rebuild easily without
    recourse to the existing HDD? You will need to move over all your e-mail
    contacts and messages (plus Favorites) which is more of an issue, but
    can be done. How have you stored any photos, music, etc. If you have
    followed Billy Goat's assinine way of doing things, then you will have
    to ensure that you have transferred those from his various hidey Holes.
    For future benefit, do not download/ save to any of his stupid
    locations. Ensure that you create "Joan's Folder", create sub folders
    within that and save everything in there. Just thoughts!

    clot, May 25, 2006
  14. wrote:

    > I appreciate what you are saying but I will not be happy until I have
    > a new HD as I do not know who or where he has been writing to nor
    > what he has been looking at and I do not want anything on my HD other
    > than my own stuff and that is why I am wanting to buy a new HD and
    > just keep my programs.

    You're so focused on a specific goal ("I'm gonna wash that man right
    outta my hair"), that you're not comprehending what you're being told.
    Been there, done that, although I'd be inclined to amuse myself at the
    expense of anyone so dumb that he left his data behind. Maybe you can
    put it on a CD and send it on to the next girlfriend so she has a
    headstart.

    Anyway, it's not an "either/or" proposition, it's "and/both."

    But if you're going to take it to someone to have it done, why don't you
    explain to that person what it is you want and let that person explain
    to you what you must have? Because you're clearly not yet ready to hear
    what every participant in this thread has told you.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    without the balls to live in the real world.
    Mary Shafer Iliff

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 25, 2006
  15. Guest

    pcbutts1 Guest

    For the sixth time NO!!!!

    pcbutts1, May 25, 2006
  16. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "clot" <> wrote in message

    > In which case, do you have your operating system on a CD? Where have your
    > other programs been obtained from? Could you rebuild easily without
    > recourse to the existing HDD? You will need to move over all your e-mail
    > contacts and messages (plus Favorites) which is more of an issue, but can
    > be done. How have you stored any photos, music, etc. If you have followed
    > Billy Goat's assinine way of doing things, then you will have to ensure
    > that you have transferred those from his various hidey Holes. For future
    > benefit, do not download/ save to any of his stupid locations. Ensure that
    > you create "Joan's Folder", create sub folders within that and save
    > everything in there. Just thoughts!

    I will obtain a brand new computer. I just want the programs I have bought
    online transfered over to the new computer then the old one will be junked.
    Surely this can be done?

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message

    > But if you're going to take it to someone to have it done, why don't you
    > explain to that person what it is you want and let that person explain to
    > you what you must have? Because you're clearly not yet ready to hear what
    > every participant in this thread has told you.

    Yes you have it in one. I will buy a new computer and have the chap transfer
    my program over to it then I will junk the old one. Surely that can be done
    as I bought some programs online?

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > For the sixth time NO!!!!

    Really. I cannot buy a new computer and have my programs transfered to it.
    That sounds very unfair to me. I will already be buying Mr Gates XP again.

    Guest, May 25, 2006
  19. Guest

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 02:16:42 +0100, <> wrote:

    >"clot" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> In which case, do you have your operating system on a CD? Where have your
    >> other programs been obtained from? Could you rebuild easily without
    >> recourse to the existing HDD? You will need to move over all your e-mail
    >> contacts and messages (plus Favorites) which is more of an issue, but can
    >> be done. How have you stored any photos, music, etc. If you have followed
    >> Billy Goat's assinine way of doing things, then you will have to ensure
    >> that you have transferred those from his various hidey Holes. For future
    >> benefit, do not download/ save to any of his stupid locations. Ensure that
    >> you create "Joan's Folder", create sub folders within that and save
    >> everything in there. Just thoughts!

    >I will obtain a brand new computer. I just want the programs I have bought
    >online transfered over to the new computer then the old one will be junked.
    >Surely this can be done?

    Why on earth would you need to buy an entire new computer for a simple hard
    drive replacement?! Does money grow on the tree out back where you live?

    Reformatting a hard drive is a very simple thing to do, that you can do
    yourself, and there are free programs that will erase the free space afterwards
    if you're that paranoid about it.

    "But hey, if you want to pound money down a rathole, go right ahead. Personally
    I'd think it was stupid, myself."

    --
    www.jlaforums.com, among other sites, steals usenet newsgroup posts, and tries to
    mislead the public into thinking the posts come from them. They do not. If you see this sig,

    Mara, May 25, 2006
  20. Guest

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Programs have to be installed on windows based pc's (most of them) you cant
    just drag and drop a program folder to the new system and expect it to work.
    You need the original install media via CD or the downloaded setup files of
    the programs you want "installed" on your new system. Once those programs
    are installed then the saved files i.e. word, excel etc can be transferred.

    pcbutts1, May 25, 2006