    computer?
    Thanks,
    Dick
    Dick M., Nov 13, 2004

  2. Dick M.

    Conor Guest

    In article <UOold.99559$kz3.91438@fed1read02>, Dick M. says...
    > I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
    > I have heard that something restricts the ability of
    > that computer to use large hard drives. I have
    > changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
    > more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
    > What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
    > type of drive I need to function properly in this old
    > computer?
    > Thanks,
    > Dick

    Don't worry about the size. Even though the BIOS may not see it
    properly, If you're running Windows 2000/XP, Windows setup will sort it
    out and if not, all drive manufacturers provide software to overcome
    any BIOS size limit. Failing that, you can buy an add in PCI IDE
    controller such as a Promise Ultra100 TX2 that come up on E-Bay for
    very little.

    You'll probably find that yours may have either an 8GB or 32GB limit
    unless the BIOS has been updated.

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we actually work out what normality is.
    Conor, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Dick M.

    lugnut Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:24:50 -0700, "Dick M."
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
    >I have heard that something restricts the ability of
    >that computer to use large hard drives. I have
    >changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
    >more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
    >What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
    >type of drive I need to function properly in this old
    >computer?
    >Thanks,
    >Dick

    I just junked a similar machine because of upgrade
    limitations. IIRC, the max the BIOS in it could recognize
    was 8GB - yours may be different. You can of course use a
    drive manager that comes with most new drives but, this
    usually comes at a performance cost. You may want to look
    around for a much more capable machine. There are many
    machines less monitor being advertised with 40GB drives and
    CD burners under $200US. Fry's advertised a Compaq XP1800
    factory refurb unit like this last weekend for $99US. You
    can get an amazing amount of computing power these days for
    under $500US including a monitor. Another good source of
    machines is the used market like computer shows. Of course,
    if you don't mind slow, you can install a new drive with the
    boot partition properly set at the machines limit and
    partition it to have access to the remainder of the drive.
    lugnut, Nov 13, 2004
  4. In article <> lugnut <> wrote:

    >I just junked a similar machine because of upgrade
    >limitations. IIRC, the max the BIOS in it could recognize
    >was 8GB - yours may be different. You can of course use a
    >drive manager that comes with most new drives but, this
    >usually comes at a performance cost. You may want to look
    >around for a much more capable machine. There are many
    >machines less monitor being advertised with 40GB drives and
    >CD burners under $200US. Fry's advertised a Compaq XP1800
    >factory refurb unit like this last weekend for $99US. You
    >can get an amazing amount of computing power these days for
    >under $500US including a monitor. Another good source of
    >machines is the used market like computer shows. Of course,
    >if you don't mind slow, you can install a new drive with the
    >boot partition properly set at the machines limit and
    >partition it to have access to the remainder of the drive.

    Lady Chatterly

    "What web site are you getting all these from?" -- Dr.Postman
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Dick M.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:24:50 -0700, "Dick M."
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
    | >I have heard that something restricts the ability of
    | >that computer to use large hard drives. I have
    | >changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
    | >more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
    | >What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
    | >type of drive I need to function properly in this old
    | >computer?
    | >Thanks,
    | >Dick
    | >

    | I just junked a similar machine because of upgrade
    | limitations. IIRC, the max the BIOS in it could recognize
    | was 8GB - yours may be different. You can of course use a
    | drive manager that comes with most new drives but, this
    | usually comes at a performance cost.

    Just how much of a "performance cost" can there be in patching a few bytes
    in the BIOS when the hard drive boots? It only happens once when the maching
    is started.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Dick M.

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > Computers are useless.

    Computers?

    > They can only give you answers.

    You have no trouble making ends meet. Your foot is always in your mouth!

    --
    Solve the food crisis and the homeless pet problem.
    Eat a dog today!
    Aquila Deus, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Dick M.

    lugnut Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:56:30 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"lugnut" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:24:50 -0700, "Dick M."
    >| <> wrote:
    >|
    >| >I have a Gateway G6-233 that I purchased in 1997.
    >| >I have heard that something restricts the ability of
    >| >that computer to use large hard drives. I have
    >| >changed the CPU to a Celeron 500 and added
    >| >more memory. I need a larger hard drive now.
    >| >What is the limitation factor? Is there a particular
    >| >type of drive I need to function properly in this old
    >| >computer?
    >| >Thanks,
    >| >Dick
    >| >

    >| I just junked a similar machine because of upgrade
    >| limitations. IIRC, the max the BIOS in it could recognize
    >| was 8GB - yours may be different. You can of course use a
    >| drive manager that comes with most new drives but, this
    >| usually comes at a performance cost.
    >
    >Just how much of a "performance cost" can there be in patching a few bytes
    >in the BIOS when the hard drive boots? It only happens once when the maching
    >is started.

    In newer machines, you will probably never notice it but,
    then you won't likely need the manager either. My
    experience using a disk manager was last in a 486 machine
    where it was apparent in slowing the machine. I have no
    idea that he would actually see a noticeable performance
    hit. He may even more than make up for any performance hit
    because the current drives are so much faster anyway. I
    guess my response was from a cost/benefit perspective since
    I can't see the time and expense of putting a new drive into
    a machine like his when it can be completely replaced with a
    much more capable machine including the larger hard drive so
    cheaply here in the Atlanta, GA area for not that much more
    cost than a decent drive. The machine I had similar to his
    was junked a couple of months back after I couldn't even
    find a charity that would take it. That may not be the case
    in other countries.
    lugnut, Nov 13, 2004
  8. Dick M.

    John Holmes Guest

    Aquila Deus came up with this:

    > Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Computers are useless.

    > Computers?
    >
    >> They can only give you answers.

    > You have no trouble making ends meet. Your foot is always in your

    mouth!

    I heard that you were born, your father threw rocks at the stork.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Nov 13, 2004