    expensive recovery shop? I just need it to spin up one more time to recover
    data.

    Thanx

    Vito Cavallo, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Vito Cavallo

    mark mandel Guest

    "Vito Cavallo" <> wrote in message
    news:BC456654.E461%...
    > I have a Quantum Atlas 10K II drive. It spins up for about 6 seconds then
    > dies. I have tried installing it into an external case and swapping
    > controller boards from another good drive. No luck.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice on what I can do before I send it off to an
    > expensive recovery shop? I just need it to spin up one more time to

    recover
    > data.
    >
    > Thanx

    I've read elsewhere(or perhaps even on this group)about putting a drive like
    that in the freezer after wrapping with some adequate insulation first
    however. Then remove it, let it sufficiently thaw out and reinstall. I
    myself have never done so can't attest to how effective this is.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Vito Cavallo

    colin Guest

    mark mandel <> wrote in message

    > "Vito Cavallo" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a Quantum Atlas 10K II drive. It spins up for about 6 seconds

    then
    > > dies. I have tried installing it into an external case and swapping
    > > controller boards from another good drive. No luck.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any advice on what I can do before I send it off to an
    > > expensive recovery shop? I just need it to spin up one more time to

    > recover
    > > data.
    > >
    > > Thanx

    > I've read elsewhere(or perhaps even on this group)about putting a drive

    like
    > that in the freezer after wrapping with some adequate insulation first
    > however. Then remove it, let it sufficiently thaw out and reinstall. I
    > myself have never done so can't attest to how effective this is.
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    Umm..could I have an intel-icey-pole out of the ice-box please...lol.

    colin, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Vito Cavallo

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 06:00:26 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    wrote:

    >"Vito Cavallo" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Quantum Atlas 10K II drive. It spins up for about 6 seconds then
    >> dies. I have tried installing it into an external case and swapping
    >> controller boards from another good drive. No luck.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any advice on what I can do before I send it off to an
    >> expensive recovery shop? I just need it to spin up one more time to

    >recover
    >> data.
    >>
    >> Thanx

    >I've read elsewhere(or perhaps even on this group)about putting a drive like
    >that in the freezer after wrapping with some adequate insulation first
    >however. Then remove it, let it sufficiently thaw out and reinstall. I
    >myself have never done so can't attest to how effective this is.
    >
    >Mark Mandell

    You need to be absolutely sure its not a frost-free freezer!! lol

    And don't keep it in there too long. Hard drives will spoil after
    about a week or so!

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 5, 2004