Hard drive recovery

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jim P, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Jim P

    Jim P Guest

    Looking for help on this one.
    A co-worker decides he want to install XP on his system and retain all of
    his data.
    I told him to go out and buy a larger harddrive and Windows XP and then
    unplug the current harddrive, install the new one and run the XP install and
    then after all is finished plug in the old drive and pull over his important
    stuff.
    Well, he did not listen.
    He plugged them both in and formatted his current drive and installed XP
    over it.
    I used a program called Recover my files and it pulled in some of the data
    but the files lost their names and file structure.
    So now he has 1114 excel files called recovery 1, recovery 2 and so on.
    This is with all of the files recovered.
    Is there a program that anyone can highly recommend that does a good job of
    keeping the file names and maybe the former structure?

    Thanks in advance.

    Jim P
    Jim P, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Jim P

    Brian Guest

    These files named "recovery1, recovery2...etc", are they on the new drive
    when you moved them over or on the old drive after recovery? The renaming
    was caused by your recovery program not XP

    If on the new drive just unplug the new drive and see if the system will
    boot to the previous operating system. Copy your files to CD/DVD

    Normally installing XP on a new drive will not affect files on a secondary
    drive. I have done this several time with various operating systems
    including XP and never had an issue with the previous drive having errors.
    Your Excel files are only data just as if they were on a floppy or cd and
    read into XP as a file, the names should not have changed. Was the previous
    drive formatted in FAT32 or NTFS?
    Programs that need associated .dll files in the OS folder may need to be
    reinstalled to work properly but the data files should be unchanged
    Brian, Jan 26, 2007