    be?

    Thanks

    [Based in the UK]

    Jerry F, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Good morning,

    I would buy a IDE adapter (2.5 in to 3.5 in) and connect your laptop's hard
    drive to the connector of a desktop computer CDROM (disconnect it).

    The content of the HD should be dispayed at D (or E if your desktop HD in
    partionned).

    Rejean

    "Jerry F" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > The motherboard on my HP laptop has gone and the economics mean it's not
    > worth repairing - I'm getting a new laptop instead. However I have a lot

    of
    > files on the hard drive (which I think should still be in full working
    > order) which I'd like to recover. I don't have backups.
    >
    > I'd imagine this should cost less than recovering data from an expired

    hard

    Réjean Dutil, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Jerry F

    Trent SC Guest

    > The motherboard on my HP laptop has gone and the economics mean it's not
    > worth repairing - I'm getting a new laptop instead. However I have a lot

    of
    > files on the hard drive (which I think should still be in full working
    > order) which I'd like to recover. I don't have backups.
    >
    > I'd imagine this should cost less than recovering data from an expired

    hard
    > drive. Can anyone tell me where I can get this done and how much it might
    > be?

    Be aware that there's a very big difference between data recovery and data
    transfer. Data recovery implies taking a severely damaged hard drive and
    recovering the individual bits and bytes, then recompiling them into their
    original files. Data transfer is moving the files from one storage medium
    to another.

    Your best option might be to find a friend with a desktop & network card who
    could plug in your hard drive as a slave and connect the desktop to your new
    laptop and squirt the data across. Or give them a wad of CDs and he/she can
    burn the data for you. If you go the commercial route you'll get charged a
    lot of money.

    Trent SC, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Jerry F

    Jerry F Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > > The motherboard on my HP laptop has gone and the economics mean it's not
    > > worth repairing - I'm getting a new laptop instead. However I have a lot

    > of
    > > files on the hard drive (which I think should still be in full working
    > > order) which I'd like to recover. I don't have backups.
    > >
    > > I'd imagine this should cost less than recovering data from an expired

    > hard
    > > drive. Can anyone tell me where I can get this done and how much it

    might
    > > be?

    > Be aware that there's a very big difference between data recovery and data
    > transfer. Data recovery implies taking a severely damaged hard drive and
    > recovering the individual bits and bytes, then recompiling them into their
    > original files. Data transfer is moving the files from one storage medium
    > to another.
    >
    > Your best option might be to find a friend with a desktop & network card

    who
    > could plug in your hard drive as a slave and connect the desktop to your

    new
    > laptop and squirt the data across. Or give them a wad of CDs and he/she

    can
    > burn the data for you. If you go the commercial route you'll get charged

    > lot of money.

    Thanks for the advice - I'll try getting the drive out and hooking it up to
    the PC.

    Jerry F, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Jerry F

    TT Guest

    Jerry F wrote:
    > The motherboard on my HP laptop has gone and the economics mean it's not
    > worth repairing - I'm getting a new laptop instead. However I have a lot of
    > files on the hard drive (which I think should still be in full working
    > order) which I'd like to recover. I don't have backups.
    >
    > I'd imagine this should cost less than recovering data from an expired hard
    > drive. Can anyone tell me where I can get this done and how much it might
    > be?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > [Based in the UK]

    If you look at the major hard drive sites for laptops like toshiba
    drives, they have kits to transfer from one portable drive to another
    laptop-just in case you don't have to a PC that will interface

    TT, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Jerry F

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Jerry F decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > The motherboard on my HP laptop has gone and the economics mean it's
    > not worth repairing - I'm getting a new laptop instead. However I
    > have a lot of files on the hard drive (which I think should still be
    > in full working order) which I'd like to recover. I don't have
    > backups.
    >
    > I'd imagine this should cost less than recovering data from an
    > expired hard drive. Can anyone tell me where I can get this done and
    > how much it might be?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > [Based in the UK]

    Further to other answers you can buy for around £45 a caddy to hold your
    /old/ drive and it connects via a USB port, giving you a perfect external
    backup facility, and making use of an otherwise redundant drive.

    I /think/ Maplins do them, but I ain't going on that site - it's confusing
    and it always costs me money. They are in the Phonebook :)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Jerry F

    Trent SC Guest

    > ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Jerry F
    decided
    > it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >
    > > The motherboard on my HP laptop has gone and the economics mean it's
    > > not worth repairing - I'm getting a new laptop instead. However I
    > > have a lot of files on the hard drive (which I think should still be
    > > in full working order) which I'd like to recover. I don't have
    > > backups.
    > >
    > > I'd imagine this should cost less than recovering data from an
    > > expired hard drive. Can anyone tell me where I can get this done and
    > > how much it might be?
    > >

    > Further to other answers you can buy for around £45 a caddy to hold your
    > /old/ drive and it connects via a USB port, giving you a perfect external
    > backup facility, and making use of an otherwise redundant drive.
    >
    > I /think/ Maplins do them, but I ain't going on that site - it's confusing
    > and it always costs me money. They are in the Phonebook :)

    Slumpy is right - this is an excellent option and if you want to hang on to
    the hard drive once you've got the data off, perhaps as a backup device or
    data transfer facility, then it's a worthwhile option. However, if you're
    looking for a one-off hit, then it might be a slightly expensive route.

    Trent SC, Apr 27, 2004
  8. Jerry F

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Trent SC decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    >> Further to other answers you can buy for around £45 a caddy to hold
    >> your /old/ drive and it connects via a USB port, giving you a
    >> perfect external backup facility, and making use of an otherwise
    >> redundant drive.
    >>
    >> I /think/ Maplins do them, but I ain't going on that site - it's
    >> confusing and it always costs me money. They are in the Phonebook :)
    >>

    > Slumpy is right - this is an excellent option and if you want to hang
    > on to the hard drive once you've got the data off, perhaps as a
    > backup device or data transfer facility, then it's a worthwhile
    > option. However, if you're looking for a one-off hit, then it might
    > be a slightly expensive route.

    The transfer rate isn't as good as in IDE connection, but I got my Father,
    who has /just about/ come to terms with his new Dell laptop, a secondhand
    one off a trader I knew for £20, and he used it quite a bit - he's just
    taken the laptop to Cyprus for 3 months, and with no rewriter he could be
    shafted - so he saved everything on the old 2gig HDD I gave him, and went
    off knowing all his mail and docs were safe over here.

    I suspect I may have one soon too :)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  9. Jerry F

    Paul - xxx Guest

    slumpy posted ...

    > ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Trent SC
    > decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >
    >>> Further to other answers you can buy for around £45 a caddy to hold
    >>> your /old/ drive and it connects via a USB port, giving you a
    >>> perfect external backup facility, and making use of an otherwise
    >>> redundant drive.
    >>>
    >>> I /think/ Maplins do them, but I ain't going on that site - it's
    >>> confusing and it always costs me money. They are in the Phonebook
    >>> :)
    >>>

    >> Slumpy is right - this is an excellent option and if you want to hang
    >> on to the hard drive once you've got the data off, perhaps as a
    >> backup device or data transfer facility, then it's a worthwhile
    >> option. However, if you're looking for a one-off hit, then it might
    >> be a slightly expensive route.

    > The transfer rate isn't as good as in IDE connection, but I got my
    > Father, who has /just about/ come to terms with his new Dell laptop,
    > a secondhand one off a trader I knew for £20, and he used it quite a
    > bit - he's just taken the laptop to Cyprus for 3 months, and with no
    > rewriter he could be shafted - so he saved everything on the old 2gig
    > HDD I gave him, and went off knowing all his mail and docs were safe
    > over here.
    >
    > I suspect I may have one soon too :)

    Heheheh, I set up a multi-boot system using four hd's and caddies for a
    friend .. Worked extremely well, he effectively had four different computer
    systems for very little outlay and very, very easy data back-up potential.

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Apr 27, 2004
  10. Jerry F

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Paul - xxx
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Heheheh, I set up a multi-boot system using four hd's and caddies for
    > a friend .. Worked extremely well, he effectively had four different
    > computer systems for very little outlay and very, very easy data
    > back-up potential.

    Almost impossible to get small hard drives now tho, so you end up with 80g
    minimum everywhere :-(

    Saying that I /do/ have a 0.5 gig which has saved my life a few times.

    Pulled me out of the way of a speeding truck once.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  11. Jerry F

    Paul - xxx Guest

    slumpy posted ...

    > Saying that I /do/ have a 0.5 gig which has saved my life a few times.
    >
    > Pulled me out of the way of a speeding truck once.

    Damn, I wondered what it was that made me miss you ...

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Apr 27, 2004
  12. Jerry F

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Paul - xxx
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > slumpy posted ...
    >
    >> Saying that I /do/ have a 0.5 gig which has saved my life a few
    >> times.
    >>
    >> Pulled me out of the way of a speeding truck once.

    > Damn, I wondered what it was that made me miss you ...

    Did you see a flash of red ?

    That was its cape.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  13. Jerry F

    Plato Guest

    slumpy wrote:

    > The transfer rate isn't as good as in IDE connection, but I got my Father,

    How could you even tell. Laptops are so darn slow anyway :)

    Plato, Apr 28, 2004
  14. Jerry F

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Plato decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > slumpy wrote:
    >>
    >> The transfer rate isn't as good as in IDE connection, but I got my
    >> Father,

    > How could you even tell. Laptops are so darn slow anyway :)

    According to the specs it's not as fast - to be honest it made no difference
    to me or him - if you are only saving 3mb of files, you /may/ save a second
    or two using IDE, so its hardly worth worrying about.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 28, 2004