Hard drive really acting weird

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Will Smith, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Will Smith

    Will Smith Guest

    I have a Dell 600 MHZ Pentium three with 384 MB of system memory and a
    120 GB hard drive. I have about 45 GB still remaining on the hard drive.
    My monitor is set at 1024X768, and I use 16Mb of color on it.

    Here is my problem for the last few weeks:

    I can power off the system completely , turn it on a few minutes later.
    It comes up normally, loads what it has to load, and then it sits
    quietly waiting to see what I want to do.

    Then I begin working with Avant Browser, Microsoft Outlook Express,
    Goldmine 6.0, maybe Microsoft Word for a few minutes.

    I usually have Zone alarm Pro
    Then I jump around looking at many different world news sites checking
    to see what is going on from their perspective so I can get a healthier
    more balanced idea about what really is happening.

    Usually within 45 minutes to 90 minutes, the green light come on on my
    hard drive!!

    Then.... it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks for
    hours continuously. My computer slows down to about 286 speed. Many
    programs load slowly or not at all. sometimes the email refuses to
    connect to the server and check email. All sorts of weird things happen.

    Eventually as happened 20 minutes ago, I get frustrated and turn it off.
    Starting the whole process all over again.

    I just can't get any rhythm going when I try to do the things I need to
    do every day. The hard drive seems to hand and nothing i try short of
    powering the computer completely off stops the steady green light.

    Even when I do a soft reset, the Green light remains on steady?

    I run Norton Antivirus every couple of days and it says there are no
    viruses.

    I run Ad-Aware 6.0 version 158. Yesterday it found and deleted 195
    spyware pieces. It ran Ok for the rest of the evening, several hours,
    but when I awoke this morning, the active programs were frozen and the
    computer was just spinning away with a steady Green light.

    I'm spending five hours or more a day trying to fix this with no luck,

    Does anyone here have any ideas as to what could be causing this hard
    drive which is only 9 months old go bonkers every couple of hours like
    it does?

    It has been running OK for the 17 minutes I have been typing this.
    However I have no active progrmams going other than Microplanet Gravity.
    As long as that light stays off the computer moves extremely quickly as
    it is doing now. The pointer doesn't lag behind when I move the mouse.
    Everything is great right now. I will post another message when I open
    more programs and the problem starts to show you how much peace and
    quiet I had before it goes buck wild!

    TIA

    It is now 51 minutes later and the hard drive is still quiet. I have
    Mozilla Browser oen two times and MOE. My spell checker has stopped
    working for the first time ever as I tried to check this post. It give
    me an "error opening Speller message" So the strange things continue...

    Will Smith, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Will Smith

    trout Guest

    Will Smith wrote:

> [...]
    > drive which is only 9 months old go bonkers every couple of hours like
    > it does?
    >
    > It has been running OK for the 17 minutes I have been typing this.
    > However I have no active progrmams going other than Microplanet
    > Gravity. As long as that light stays off the computer moves extremely
    > quickly as it is doing now. The pointer doesn't lag behind when I
    > move the mouse. Everything is great right now. I will post another
    > message when I open more programs and the problem starts to show you
    > how much peace and quiet I had before it goes buck wild!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > It is now 51 minutes later and the hard drive is still quiet. I have
    > Mozilla Browser oen two times and MOE. My spell checker has stopped
    > working for the first time ever as I tried to check this post. It give
    > me an "error opening Speller message" So the strange things

    If AdAware found *that* much crap; I'd *also* download, update, and
    use:
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>

    Spyware Blaster
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>

    I'd also double-check your anti-virus results with one or more of
    the on-line virus scanners:
    <http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
    <http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html>
    <http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx>
    <http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp>
    <http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan.asp>
    <http://commandondemand.com/eval/index.cfm>
    <http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php>
    <http://www.pcpitstop.com/antivirus/default.asp>
    <http://scan.sygatetech.com/prestealthscan.html>
    --
    "Sure sounds like there could be critters."

    trout, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Will Smith

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:38:48 -0600, Will Smith <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >I have a Dell 600 MHZ Pentium three with 384 MB of system memory and a
    >120 GB hard drive. I have about 45 GB still remaining on the hard drive.
    >My monitor is set at 1024X768, and I use 16Mb of color on it.

    That would be "I have 16Mb of video ram" or "I'm using 16 bit colour for the
    display".

    >Here is my problem for the last few weeks:

    <chop>

    To many possibilities to list, but the first thing that came to mind was MS findfast.
    It gets installed with Office. Disable this completely.

    Shel-hed, Dec 17, 2003
  4. What version of Windows are you running?
    Windows 9x tends to run out of system resources the longer it runs.
    Also use "ctrl-alt-del" to see how many programs are running. Better yet
    use "System Information" under system tools click the + sign next to
    "Software Environment: and click "Running Tasks". It will show you
    everything that is currently running on your PC. You can also click :Startup
    Programs" and see what loads at Windows startup.

    GoodLuck!!
    KnightTripper

    KnightTripper, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Thanks for the responses.

    I set it to 800X600 and am now using 16 bit color display instead of
    the more demanding 32 bit True color. Maybe 384 MB of ram isn't
    enough when you are running 6 or 7 applications at once like I tend to
    do?

    I have been going great every since 1946 when I booted up and sent the
    last post. Ther is nearly five hours now. The light is still quiet.
    right now I have three Mozilla windows open and Free Agent

    I'm thinking it may be something in IE 6.0 or the browser Avant or
    even Netscape. Shortly after I start going with them, it bogs down.

    I will purchase Spybot and use that as well as try some of the other
    antivirus programs.

    I will keep using Mozilla exclusively and see if it happens when I'm
    browsing with it.

    Willy out!

    William Smith, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Will Smith

    IC Guest

    William Smith wrote:
    > Thanks for the responses.
    >
    > I set it to 800X600 and am now using 16 bit color display instead of
    > the more demanding 32 bit True color. Maybe 384 MB of ram isn't
    > enough when you are running 6 or 7 applications at once like I tend to
    > do?
    >
    > I have been going great every since 1946 when I booted up and sent the
    > last post.

    [snip]

    Have a time machine, do you?

    IC, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Will Smith

    Will Smith Guest

    In article <QS_Db.1681$%>,
    lid says...
    > William Smith wrote:
    > > Thanks for the responses.
    > >
    > > I set it to 800X600 and am now using 16 bit color display instead of
    > > the more demanding 32 bit True color. Maybe 384 MB of ram isn't
    > > enough when you are running 6 or 7 applications at once like I tend to
    > > do?
    > >
    > > I have been going great every since 1946 when I booted up and sent the
    > > last post.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Have a time machine, do you?

    Hey! That's a good one! :) It did start thrashing on me after about
    four hours or so around midnight. I was to tired to mess with it any
    further.

    This morning I procured a copy of Spybot 1.2 I ran it and after about 20
    minutes, it finished and reported that I had 128 threats on my computer.
    I looked them over closely and didn't see any I really wanted to keep
    other than the "Windows Media Player ID=" thing that it found. So I
    asked it to fix all of that.
    It tried to, but it came back and said that some were tied into my
    system in such a manner that it would need to reboot to get rid of
    those.

    So I rebooted and Spybot ran again. This time it came back with about 12
    threats. I told it to remove all of them and I rebooted again. I ran it
    a third time and it found nothing.

    Then I ran Ad-a-Ware version 158. I had it do a quick scan and it found
    only 4 errors. I ran it again with an in depth scan for about 20 minutes
    and when I noticed that it hadn't found any errors I cancelled it.

    Then I ran the Norton sytemworks thing which checks everything. After
    that I ran Norton Windoctor which found one error I believe.

    Then I rebooted again around 1400 and things have been perfect every
    since.

    I'm pretty sure it was the SpyBot that got rid of the stuff that was
    causing my system to go around in circles.

    Thanks to those of you who suggested that I try it.

    I guess I will run this stuff every couple of days. Tonight I will run
    Norton Anti virus again while I sleep to make sure nothing has sneaked
    in while I wasn't looking.

    That was a really horrid several weeks. I really appreciate the
    tremendous amount of brain power that is available here free of charge
    unlike what the major manufacturers offer.

    May the blessings of the GREAT ARCHITECT OF THE UNIVERSE guide and
    protect this mighty forum!

    Over and out!

    Will Smith

    Will Smith, Dec 18, 2003
  8. Will Smith

    trout Guest

    Will Smith wrote:
    <snip>
    > I'm pretty sure it was the SpyBot that got rid of the stuff that was
    > causing my system to go around in circles.
    >
    > Thanks to those of you who suggested that I try it.
    >
    > I guess I will run this stuff every couple of days. Tonight I will run
    > Norton Anti virus again while I sleep to make sure nothing has sneaked
    > in while I wasn't looking.
    >
    > That was a really horrid several weeks. I really appreciate the
    > tremendous amount of brain power that is available here free of charge
    > unlike what the major manufacturers offer.
    >
    > May the blessings of the GREAT ARCHITECT OF THE UNIVERSE guide and
    > protect this mighty forum!
    >
    > Over and out!
    >
    > Will Smith

    Glad you got it sorted out. Now; don't forget to *update* your
    programs before you run them.
    AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!
    --
    "Make full use of your weapons."

    trout, Dec 18, 2003
  9. "trout" <> writes:

    > AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!

    Damn! I suppose I'll have to boot back into W2K just to update my
    plethora of programmes designed to protect me from all that nasty
    Windows malware, before retreating once more to the serene haven that
    is Linux. Thanks for the heads-up, Unca rrhynchus

    --
    Registered Linux User 297164
    GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 18, 2003
  10. Will Smith

    trout Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > "trout" <> writes:
    >
    >> AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!

    > Damn! I suppose I'll have to boot back into W2K just to update my
    > plethora of programmes designed to protect me from all that nasty
    > Windows malware, before retreating once more to the serene haven that
    > is Linux. Thanks for the heads-up, Unca rrhynchus

    I was rather surprised, myself. I'd wrestled my 'privacy' phobias to
    a stand-off and signed-up for the email notification. For a minute,
    there, I thought I was getting doubles.
    --
    "And now, I've pluralized a word ending in 'ia' with and 's'; and am
    just feeling horribly uncomfortable about the whole thing."

    trout, Dec 18, 2003
  11. Will Smith

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:09:27 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    >"trout" <> writes:
    >
    >> AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!

    >Damn! I suppose I'll have to boot back into W2K just to update my
    >plethora of programmes designed to protect me from all that nasty
    >Windows malware, before retreating once more to the serene haven that
    >is Linux. Thanks for the heads-up, Unca rrhynchus

    Highly Technical Note: I hope you do realise that, if you attempt to turn this
    into one o' them Luke vs. Darth OS wars, you'll majestically yet quite horribly
    divide at the cellular level, melting down into a pool of unrecognizable sludge,
    since you're running both.

    "And so would I, so if you decide to, let me know in advance so I can get the
    hell off the fence and outta the way. <g>"

    --
    <AB> . o O (Years from now, when the aliens are sifting through our
    fossilized remnants, they're going to come to one inescapable

    Mara, Dec 18, 2003
  12. Mara <> writes:

    > Highly Technical Note: I hope you do realise that, if you attempt to
    > turn this into one o' them Luke vs. Darth OS wars, you'll
    > majestically yet quite horribly divide at the cellular level,
    > melting down into a pool of unrecognizable sludge, since you're
    > running both.
    >
    > "And so would I, so if you decide to, let me know in advance so I can get the
    > hell off the fence and outta the way.

    Nah, I'm just relieving the tedium. I have a hacking bronchial cough
    today, which I figured wouldn't endear me to cinemagoers, otherwise
    I'd be at RotK. Since I'm not, I'm passing the time doing a spot of
    trout-fishing.

    Max Quordlepleen, Dec 18, 2003
  13. Will Smith

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:41:33 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    >Mara <> writes:
    >
    >> Highly Technical Note: I hope you do realise that, if you attempt to
    >> turn this into one o' them Luke vs. Darth OS wars, you'll
    >> majestically yet quite horribly divide at the cellular level,
    >> melting down into a pool of unrecognizable sludge, since you're
    >> running both.
    >>
    >> "And so would I, so if you decide to, let me know in advance so I can get the
    >> hell off the fence and outta the way.

    >Nah, I'm just relieving the tedium. I have a hacking bronchial cough
    >today, which I figured wouldn't endear me to cinemagoers, otherwise
    >I'd be at RotK. Since I'm not, I'm passing the time doing a spot of
    >trout-fishing.

    Ah. I see. Well, Having just had that problem myself, I hope you get well soon,
    Sir Max.

    "Good luck with the fishing. If you catch him, I'm sure I can find some lemon
    juice around here somewhere. Or perhaps a nice bernaise sauce?"

    --
    You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
    You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-

    Mara, Dec 18, 2003
  14. Will Smith

    trout Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    <snip>

    > I'd be at RotK.

    Is that the new code for "at the airport; annoying strangers by
    chanting and passing out linux pamphlets"?

    > Since I'm not, I'm passing the time doing a spot of
    > trout-fishing.

    You keep looking too far north. You won't find me by sticking your
    head in your ice-hole.
    --
    "I've been thinking there just weren't enough farging jokes tailored to
    fans of 'Johnny Dangerously'."

    trout, Dec 18, 2003