    Can I read that drive in the Compaq? If so, how?

    Thanks in advance.

    Bob
    bob, Nov 6, 2005

  2. bob

    olfart Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    news:Nrvbf.34480$...
    >I have a 3-4 yr old eMachines desktop and a 3-4 yr old Compaq desktop. I
    >removed the hard drive from the eMachines--its power supply went bad.
    >
    > Can I read that drive in the Compaq? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob

    Get a 3.5" USB HD enclosure, install the HD and then connect to your Laptop
    USB
    olfart, Nov 6, 2005

  3. bob

    Fakename Guest

    Core hardware compatibility shouldn't be an issue. Some compaqs have
    IDE ribbons with only 2 connectors on it (no room for a slave) so you
    might need to use a different ribbon to slave the emachine hard drive to
    your compaq.

    File system compatibility could be another issue. I don't know what
    OS's these are but <Windows 2000 will not read NTFS, so if you put an
    NTFS formatted disk into a 98 machine it will not read it.

    For info on how to add hard disks, what master/slave means, etc, do some
    googling. But basically, you adjust the jumpers (possibly just removing
    them) on the emachine disk, attach it to a power connector and the ide
    channel, and turn the machine on.

    You might have to go into the BIOS and re-discover your IDE devices, but
    windows should recognize and assign a letter for the new disk.

    What operating systems are involved?

    Fakename, Nov 6, 2005