hard drive problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Joe Black, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Joe Black

    Joe Black Guest

    Hi, I need some advice what to do.

    Started my computer today, got a message "Operating system not found".

    Decided to try and boot from the CD (Windows 98 SE) - got the same message
    "Operating system not found" (didn't seem to recognise the CD drive although
    the light came on and went off at startup).

    Tried booting from a floppy disk, chose option "Start computer with CD Rom
    support". Oak technology driver started then gave message "No drives found,
    aborting installtion". I have 2 CD drives - one a ROM and one a CD writer.

    After that, still booting from the floppy, I got the message "Windows 98 has
    detected that drive C does not contain a valid fat or fat32 partition."

    I ran FDisk which stopped with a mesage "No fixed disks present".

    I could understand if the hard drive had packed in but I can't understand
    why I couldn't access my CD drives which makes me wonder if both problems
    are a symptom of something else (I don't want to replace the hard drive only
    to find that there was nothing wrong with it).

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks - Joe
    Joe Black, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Joe Black

    John Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:36:28 +1300, "Joe Black"
    <> wrote:

    Disconnect the h/drive from the cable...
    then try, are they both on the came IDE port?

    John, Oct 19, 2003

  3. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:31:01 +1300, John wrote:

    > Disconnect the h/drive from the cable...
    > then try, are they both on the came IDE port?

    What the man said - plus check your bios to see if the IDE ports have been
    disabled.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Joe Black

    RecylerMan Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:36:28 +1300, "Joe Black"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Disconnect the h/drive from the cable...
    > then try, are they both on the came IDE port?
    >

    >>Hi, I need some advice what to do.
    >>
    >>Started my computer today, got a message "Operating system not found".
    >>
    >>Decided to try and boot from the CD (Windows 98 SE) - got the same message
    >>"Operating system not found" (didn't seem to recognise the CD drive although
    >>the light came on and went off at startup).
    >>
    >>Tried booting from a floppy disk, chose option "Start computer with CD Rom
    >>support". Oak technology driver started then gave message "No drives found,
    >>aborting installtion". I have 2 CD drives - one a ROM and one a CD writer.
    >>
    >>After that, still booting from the floppy, I got the message "Windows 98 has
    >>detected that drive C does not contain a valid fat or fat32 partition."
    >>
    >>I ran FDisk which stopped with a mesage "No fixed disks present".
    >>
    >>I could understand if the hard drive had packed in but I can't understand
    >>why I couldn't access my CD drives which makes me wonder if both problems
    >>are a symptom of something else (I don't want to replace the hard drive only
    >>to find that there was nothing wrong with it).
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>
    >>Thanks - Joe

    As the man Said,

    I have had a Hard drive that had a bad sector that would stop any
    computer booting (win98 2K and Linux) so I wonder if it is the same prob
    the hard drive was fixed with low level format provided by the disk
    Maker (maxtor). I did get the daata of the drive but that was long and
    involved.

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z
    RecylerMan, Oct 19, 2003
  5. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:57:17 +1300, RecylerMan wrote:

    > I have had a Hard drive that had a bad sector that would stop any
    > computer booting (win98 2K and Linux) so I wonder if it is the same prob
    > the hard drive was fixed with low level format provided by the disk
    > Maker (maxtor). I did get the daata of the drive but that was long and
    > involved.

    I just had my laptop drive develop a bad sector - in the journal Inode, so
    it rendered Linux unbootable (Ext3 failed, Ext2 wouldn't mount it).

    IBM drive feature tool was able to map out the bad sector and a e2fsck
    later I was back in business.

    I'm not terribly worried about it. There are still 10,000 spare sectors
    left on the thing. It's surprising I had to manually map it though, I
    believed IDE drives do this automatically.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Joe Black

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > I'm not terribly worried about it. There are still 10,000 spare sectors
    > left on the thing. It's surprising I had to manually map it though, I
    > believed IDE drives do this automatically.

    Laptop(LT) Hdd's are IDE, just the plug was changed and power intergrated
    into it.

    LT HDD's should map it automagically assuming your correct about IDE HDD's
    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003