Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jimbob wrote:
    > I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy.

    I think something went wrong in that process, either the floppy or
    following instructions.

    > But when i
    > boot with it, i get the following:
    >
    > --
    > Starting Caldera DR-DOS
    >
    > HIMEM.SYS 2.34
    >
    > Bad or missing command interpreter
    > Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
    > --
    >
    > Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive
    > isn't being found?

    Maybe the floppy is faulty or maybe something went wrong in the creation
    or booting sequence; but it isn't because the hdd isn't being found at
    this point. The boot from floppy should work with no hdd.

    The instructions^1 are to create the floppy by executing the dowloaded
    ..exe in a Win environment, then to *boot* with that floppy created with
    'create floppy'. The userguide doesn't describe problems with a
    missing command interpreter.

    ^1 http://snipurl.com/f7ro snurled link to maxtor powermax page with
    link to .pdf userguide there

    I would make myself another floppy and *boot* with it. Where 'boot with
    it' means to *boot* from floppy, not execute some program on the floppy
    from a win or dos environment.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Jimbob wrote:
    > I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't get
    > recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it to work.
    > I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to get Powermax.
    >
    > I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i boot with
    > it, i get the following:
    >
    > --
    > Starting Caldera DR-DOS
    >
    > HIMEM.SYS 2.34
    >
    > Bad or missing command interpreter
    > Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
    > --
    >
    > Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't being

    Get a new hard drive. Dump the old one.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Jimbob wrote:

    >> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't
    >> get recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for
    >> it to work. I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was
    >> told to get Powermax.

    That powermax helps if there's warranty involved and for the 'fun' of
    the diagnostic effort.

    > Get a new hard drive. Dump the old one.

    Yep. I 'spect that controller is dying. While it is still alive,
    salvaging data and making for a convenient transition to the new drive
    is in order.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Mike Easter

    striker Guest

    Try checking the power cable to the hard drive, mine comes loose sometimes
    and I have to plug it back in.

    striker, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Mike Easter

    Fido Guest

    Looks like you're living in the future..

    Fido, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Mike Easter

    John Holmes Guest

    Jimbob blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't
    > get recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it
    > to work. I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to
    > get Powermax.
    >
    > I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i
    > boot with it, i get the following:
    >
    > --
    > Starting Caldera DR-DOS
    >
    > HIMEM.SYS 2.34
    >
    > Bad or missing command interpreter
    > Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
    > --
    >
    > Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't
    > being found?
    >
    > AHA
    >
    > --
    > A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

    Check your timezone, you're poasting from the future. As a bogus, your
    drives will start working again because of the timestamp written in the
    bootsector.

    --
    Your mother was a politically incorrect fraudster who prostituted herself
    in an igloo.
    John Holmes, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Mike Easter

    John Guest

    Disable "Quick Boot" in your BIOS, and all will be ok. It is more likely a
    power supply or motherboard fault. Try another HDD, but I bet it will do the
    same, or try yours in another PC.

    John, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Mike Easter

    Jimbob Guest

    John Holmes blabbered back:

    > Check your timezone, you're poasting from the future. As a bogus, your
    > drives will start working again because of the timestamp written in
    > the bootsector.

    Oopsy :)

    --
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
    Jimbob, Sep 2, 2005
  9. Mike Easter

    Jimbob Guest

    John wrote:
    > Disable "Quick Boot" in your BIOS, and all will be ok. It is more
    > likely a power supply or motherboard fault. Try another HDD, but I
    > bet it will do the same, or try yours in another PC.

    Seems it may be the power cable. I twiddled with it when it wasn't working,
    then rebooted and it worked.

    --
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
    Jimbob, Sep 2, 2005
  10. Mike Easter

    John Holmes Guest

    Jimbob blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John wrote:
    >> Disable "Quick Boot" in your BIOS, and all will be ok. It is more
    >> likely a power supply or motherboard fault. Try another HDD, but I
    >> bet it will do the same, or try yours in another PC.

    > Seems it may be the power cable. I twiddled with it when it wasn't
    > working, then rebooted and it worked.
    >
    > --
    > A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

    See? You changed your timezone and now it works!
    ;-)

    --
    Your mother was an aroused swamp thing who used to practice the old Jedi
    mind trick in an old sewage works.

    Jimbob, Sep 3, 2005
  12. Mike Easter

    Jimbob Guest

    John Holmes wrote:

    > See? You changed your timezone and now it works!
    > ;-)

    My time traveling bannana is good fun, want to borrow it? You have until
    next thursday, then.... oops.

    --
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
    Jimbob, Sep 3, 2005
  13. Mike Easter

    Jimbob Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > I would make myself another floppy and *boot* with it. Where 'boot
    > with it' means to *boot* from floppy, not execute some program on the
    > floppy from a win or dos environment.

    Made another floppy, this time it worked. Did both the quick and full tests
    and it passed both. But the h/d still takes a couple of attempts to boot.

    Guess i'll have to dig deep into my student pockets and get a new h/d.

    --
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
    Jimbob, Sep 3, 2005
  14. Mike Easter

    gman Guest

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:58:37 +0100, "Jimbob"
    <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote:

    >I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't get
    >recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it to work.
    >I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to get Powermax.

    I also have this problem from time to time. If you remove the single
    cable from the drive and then reinsert it, it usually clears the
    problem. This problem may have something to do with the highpoint
    controller, am not sure.
    gman, Sep 16, 2005