Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1@optonline.com, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
    different and found a few things outs.

    The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
    on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
    drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
    on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
    data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
    aside to transfer to my new system.

    But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
    I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
    as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
    CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
    the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
    IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.

    When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
    CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
    the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?

    And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
    and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
    It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
    hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
    for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
    aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

    , Feb 15, 2004

  2. Harrison Guest

    What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
    There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
    can be transferred from the XP boot.

    Harrison, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Guest

    I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
    it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
    800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
    drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
    into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
    partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
    doesn't play nice with FAT32?

    >What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
    >There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
    >can be transferred from the XP boot.
    >
    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:51:31 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
    >>different and found a few things outs.
    >>
    >>The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
    >>on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
    >>drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
    >>on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
    >>data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
    >>aside to transfer to my new system.
    >>
    >>But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
    >>I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
    >>as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
    >>CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
    >>the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
    >>IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.
    >>
    >>When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
    >>CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
    >>the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?
    >>
    >>And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
    >>and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
    >>It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
    >>hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
    >>for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
    >>aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

    , Feb 16, 2004
  4. Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:55:59 -0500, wrote:

    >I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
    >it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
    >800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
    >drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
    >into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
    >partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
    >doesn't play nice with FAT32?

    No. XP and FAT32 get along just fine together.
    Your board has two IDE connectors, plus two SATA connectors.
    Jumper the old drive as a master and connect it to the black IDE port on the board.
    The default BIOS settings should allow the drive to be seen under Windows XP.
    See pages 2-24 and 4-10 of the IDE controller settings and make sure yours is set up correctly as shown in section
    4-3.6. Make sure the BIOS sees both drives. Set your boot priorities to have the SATA drive be the primary boot device
    (page 4-32).
    Boot into Windows XP and the old drive should be in disk manager (right click My Computer and choose Manage ...under
    Storage, see disk management).

    Harrison, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Guest

    From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
    for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
    has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
    master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
    98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.

  6. ICee Guest

    wrote:
    > From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
    > for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
    > has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
    > master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
    > 98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.

    [snip]

    There are two IDE connectors: the blue one and the black one. The blue
    connector is in front of the ATX power connector, and the black one is
    next to the floppy connector, closest to the memory slots.
    You do have the P4C800 Deluxe MB, correct?

    ICee, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Ghostrider Guest

    wrote:
    > From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
    > for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
    > has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
    > master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
    > 98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.

    Don't really understand why or how you get involved with a S-ATA
    configuration for such an easy setup. There are 2 on-board IDE
    connectors on the P4C800E-Deluxe motherboard, good enough for a
    total of 4 IDE devices, regardless of whether the boot up is from
    Windows 98 or Windows XP. However, with Windows XP on the S-ATA
    drive, this can be the only boot drive that will recognize the
    single S-ATA (non-RAID) connector and the 2 IDE connectors. If
    booting from the Windows 98 hard drive, then only 1 IDE connector
    and the S-ATA connector are usable. This was explained by both
    Harrison in this thread and Mistoffolees in your other thread.

    Ghostrider, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Guest

    Thanks much for that information. I've read the manual sections you
    referred to, and checked in the BIOS to see where the settings change,
    but I have to admit to not fully grasping what I'm supposed to do.
    Since you seem to have an understanding of this, any chance you could
    tell me the proper way to hook up the old drive and which
    configuration I need to use. The way I read the manual, and by process
    of elimination, the S-ATA drive stay as is, as a primary (boot)
    drive. The old FAT32 drive would also be a master drive, on the end of
    the IDE cable, and I would use configration A in the BIOS, which is:

    Compatible Mode
    (No Value)
    Primary P-ATA+S-ATA

    Would this be correct?

    As for the older drive, do I leave it pinned as a master or take the
    pin off completely? And I'd be booting from the S-ATA drive into
    Windows XP and hopefully finally see the partitioned 80Gb drive?
    Thanks for all the help. If these settings are right, I'll try it and
    maybe get my data transferred.

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:55:59 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>I put the system together myself so there's no brand name here. But
    >>it's an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz processor,
    >>800 fsb, 1Gb 3200 DDR RAM, and a Western Digital 120Gb Serial ATA hard
    >>drive. I'm running Windows XP Professional. The drive is partitioned
    >>into 2 equal parts, NTFS. The old drive is 80Gb Western Digital,
    >>partitioned into four equal parts, FAT32. Maybe Windows XP just
    >>doesn't play nice with FAT32?

    >No. XP and FAT32 get along just fine together.
    >Your board has two IDE connectors, plus two SATA connectors.
    >Jumper the old drive as a master and connect it to the black IDE port on the board.
    >The default BIOS settings should allow the drive to be seen under Windows XP.
    >See pages 2-24 and 4-10 of the IDE controller settings and make sure yours is set up correctly as shown in section
    >4-3.6. Make sure the BIOS sees both drives. Set your boot priorities to have the SATA drive be the primary boot device
    >(page 4-32).
    >Boot into Windows XP and the old drive should be in disk manager (right click My Computer and choose Manage ...under
    >Storage, see disk management).
    >

    >>>What is the make/model of the new system or motherboard?
    >>>There is no reason that the old drive should not be configurable as a second drive on the new system, and then the files
    >>>can be transferred from the XP boot.

    , Feb 16, 2004
  9. Some time, on or about: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:51:31 -0500,
    was criminally insane in my professional opinion
    when they claimed the following balderdash:

    >Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
    >different and found a few things outs.
    >
    >The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
    >on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
    >drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
    >on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
    >data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
    >aside to transfer to my new system.
    >
    >But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
    >I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
    >as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
    >CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
    >the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
    >IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.
    >
    >When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
    >CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
    >the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?
    >
    >And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
    >and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
    >It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
    >hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
    >for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
    >aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

    If you have 2 different PCs, why don't you network them together with
    a crossover cable and transfer the files that way?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Feb 16, 2004
  10. Guest

    For the simple reason that my older PC stopped recognizing the IDE
    drive on boot up. I don't know if the controller went bad on me or
    what the problem is, but I just can't get the hard drive to be
    noticed.

    >Some time, on or about: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:51:31 -0500,
    > was criminally insane in my professional opinion
    >when they claimed the following balderdash:
    >
    >>Okay, I've posted before about this, but I was trying something
    >>different and found a few things outs.
    >>
    >>The Western Digital 80Gb drive I thought I'd lost the four partitions
    >>on, seems to have the partitions. I can hook it up as the master boot
    >>drive in my new system and it boots to Windows 98SE, which is the O/S
    >>on the drive.So far so good. The partitions are there a is all my
    >>data. For small files, I can copy them to 3-1/2 floppies and set them
    >>aside to transfer to my new system.
    >>
    >>But I have large files and folders I want to transfer, and the onl way
    >>I can see to do that is burn them to CD's. I hooked the 80Gb drive up
    >>as the boot drive, end of the IDE cable, pinned as master. I set my
    >>CDRW drive to slave, and put it on the same IDE cable as the HD, in
    >>the middle of the cable. The new motherboard does not have a secondary
    >>IDE cable, just the one. The hard drive in the new system is S-ATA.
    >>
    >>When I hook up as above, Windows 98SE launches, but does not find the
    >>CD drive, so my idea of burning disks to transfer the files is down
    >>the tubes. Any idea why the CD wasn't recognized by Windows 98?
    >>
    >>And I still can't figure a way to hook the 80Gb drive up as a slave
    >>and run it with the S-ATA drive as the master boot to Windows XP Pro.
    >>It just don't want to do it. I've tried different jumper settings,
    >>hooked it at the end and middle of the IDE ribbon, nada.Still looking
    >>for any help. I've learned that the tech agents as these manufacturers
    >>aren't worth squat for the most part. I get better help here. Thanks.

    >If you have 2 different PCs, why don't you network them together with
    >a crossover cable and transfer the files that way?
    >
    > Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    , Feb 16, 2004
  11. Guest

    Tried all this today and still no joy. This is frustrating. I know the
    data is still intact on my old drive. I just can't get to it.

    > wrote:
    >> From what I can see there's only one IDE connector, except for the one
    >> for the floppy drive. Am I missing something when you say the board
    >> has two IDE connectors? I've tried to jumper the old drive as a
    >> master, at the end of the one IDE cable, but when it boots to Windows
    >> 98SE, I don't see the S-ATA drive at all in Windows Explorer.
    >>

    >Don't really understand why or how you get involved with a S-ATA
    >configuration for such an easy setup. There are 2 on-board IDE
    >connectors on the P4C800E-Deluxe motherboard, good enough for a
    >total of 4 IDE devices, regardless of whether the boot up is from
    >Windows 98 or Windows XP. However, with Windows XP on the S-ATA
    >drive, this can be the only boot drive that will recognize the
    >single S-ATA (non-RAID) connector and the 2 IDE connectors. If
    >booting from the Windows 98 hard drive, then only 1 IDE connector
    >and the S-ATA connector are usable. This was explained by both
    >Harrison in this thread and Mistoffolees in your other thread.

    , Feb 17, 2004