Hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TreyWinston@gmail.com, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi.

    I don't know if this is the place to ask this, so if it's not, I
    apologize.

    My external USB hard drive (Freecom Classic 160 GB) stopped working.
    When I plug it in, what I get is this:

    - The computer (XP) gives that little "ding-dong" that means it senses
    new hardware in a USB. A few seconds later, it gives the sound which
    means it senses that one piece of hardware is taken off, immediately
    followed by that first "ding-dong" again. So XP senses the HD, then a
    few seconds later thinks that it is being taken off, then immediately
    senses it again.

    - The power light on the HD is on.

    - The LED that lights up when the HD is reading flashes intermittently
    with five second intervals.

    - As far as I can tell, there's no physical activity in the HD.

    - The HD doesn't show up in "My computer".

    Is there anything to do about this?

    Grateful for any advice and insights.

    Trey

    , Mar 3, 2008

  2. Alang Guest

    03/03/2008 wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I don't know if this is the place to ask this, so if it's not, I
    > apologize.
    >
    > My external USB hard drive (Freecom Classic 160 GB) stopped working.
    > When I plug it in, what I get is this:
    >
    > - The computer (XP) gives that little "ding-dong" that means it
    > senses new hardware in a USB. A few seconds later, it gives the
    > sound which means it senses that one piece of hardware is taken
    > off, immediately followed by that first "ding-dong" again. So XP
    > senses the HD, then a few seconds later thinks that it is being
    > taken off, then immediately senses it again.
    >
    > - The power light on the HD is on.
    >
    > - The LED that lights up when the HD is reading flashes
    > intermittently with five second intervals.
    >
    > - As far as I can tell, there's no physical activity in the HD.
    >
    > - The HD doesn't show up in "My computer".
    >

    > Is there anything to do about this?
    >
    > Grateful for any advice and insights.
    >
    > Trey

    Easiest way to check is to put another hard drive in the case

    Alang, Mar 3, 2008

  3. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Hi.
    >
    > I don't know if this is the place to ask this, so if it's not, I
    > apologize.
    >
    > My external USB hard drive (Freecom Classic 160 GB) stopped working.
    > When I plug it in, what I get is this:
    >
    > - The computer (XP) gives that little "ding-dong" that means it senses
    > new hardware in a USB. A few seconds later, it gives the sound which
    > means it senses that one piece of hardware is taken off, immediately
    > followed by that first "ding-dong" again. So XP senses the HD, then a
    > few seconds later thinks that it is being taken off, then immediately
    > senses it again.
    >
    > - The power light on the HD is on.
    >
    > - The LED that lights up when the HD is reading flashes intermittently
    > with five second intervals.
    >
    > - As far as I can tell, there's no physical activity in the HD.
    >
    > - The HD doesn't show up in "My computer".
    >

    > Is there anything to do about this?
    >
    > Grateful for any advice and insights.

    Try using another usb port on your computer or another USB cable if
    possible, it sounds like it might be a loose connection of some kind.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 3, 2008