    seller on Ebay claimed that it tested fine thru Maxtor Diagnostic
    Utilities.
    Thanks.

    Matt, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Matt

    SgtMinor Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
    > one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
    > new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
    > UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
    > the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
    > start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
    > making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
    > program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
    > (eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try and
    > see what Windows XP does to it. This last time I tried Fedora Core and
    > after it did the rattling thing (while it was copying files) it
    > displayed the error "Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
    > root fs on unknown - block (8,3)" I googled for that error and some
    > other stuff and I'm not coming up with anything. Is the drive dead? The
    > seller on Ebay claimed that it tested fine thru Maxtor Diagnostic
    > Utilities.
    > Thanks.

    There is no 'a' in kernel. Some discussion about the problem can be
    found here: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=kernel panic

    When you run the Maxtor utility what results do you get?

    SgtMinor, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Matt

    Plato Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The

    Which is exactly like buying a hard drive from a table at a weekend flea
    market or yard sale. It may work, it may not.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Matt

    cnw Guest

    begin Matt <> wrote:

    > I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive.

    Sounds like a bad move.

    > The one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
    > new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
    > UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set the
    > jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I start
    > trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts making
    > rather loud rattling sounds

    A *bad* sign. If you havn't guessed already, the drive is very likely
    defective.

    > and the entire computer and install program freeze up. I've tried several
    > different Linux distributions (eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on
    > it), and I'm going to try and see what Windows XP does to it. This last
    > time I tried Fedora Core and after it did the rattling thing (while it was
    > copying files) it displayed the error "Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS:
    > Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,3)"

    It's possible Linux is unable to determine the drive geometry and/or
    partitioning scheme of this drive -- likely a result of hardware problems.
    Personally, I wouldn't trust this drive, judging by what you have written.

    However, you *could* try running (Windows) FDISK on the drive, and follow it's
    recommended partitioning defaults, then format the drive. Then reboot and
    try again to install Linux. This has worked for me in the past (albiet a
    long time ago).

    > I googled for that error and some other stuff and I'm not coming up with
    > anything. Is the drive dead? The seller on Ebay claimed that it tested
    > fine thru Maxtor Diagnostic Utilities. Thanks.

    Well if you have Maxtor diagnostics available, check the drive. But really,
    from what you've said, the drive appears to be defective. With disk space so
    cheap these days, you'd be far better off buying a new drive (for which
    you'll also have a guarantee).

    Neil.
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    cnw, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:

    > When you run the Maxtor utility what results do you get?

    I ran both the basic tests and the mid-level test on the Maxtor PowerMax
    program and the drive passed both of them, which is probably what they
    ran before they put the drive on Ebay. Running the "burn in test" though
    gave me this message:

    Diagnostic Code: 6b686862
    This drive is failing. If you do not have a recent backup of the data,
    please do so now if possible.

    I guess I will be contacting the seller to make use of their 7 day money
    back guarantee.

    Thanks for your help.

    Matt, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Matt

    SgtMinor Guest

    cnw wrote:

    > Neil.
    > --
    > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    > A: Top-posting.

    Q. I seem to have a problem.

    A. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?

    Q. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?
    I'm not sure but it seems to be software.

    A. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?
    I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    What software are you using?

    Q. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?
    I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    What software are you using?
    Do you mean my operating system?

    A. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?
    I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    What software are you using?
    Do you mean my operating system?
    Well, that and whatever other stuff you run.

    Q. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?
    I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    What software are you using?
    Do you mean my operating system?
    Well, that and whatever other stuff you run.

    A. I seem to have a problem.
    What is your problem?
    I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    What software are you using?
    Do you mean my operating system?
    Well, that and whatever other stuff you run.
    What do you mean, "other stuff?"

    Ad nauseum.

    Get a new sig and don't get your panties in a bunch over top-posting.

    --
    "Chacun à Son Goût."

    SgtMinor, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Matt

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
    <> wrote:

    >I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
    >one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
    >new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
    >UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
    >the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
    >start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
    >making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
    >program freeze up.

    The first thing I do even with a new HD, before installing an OS, is
    to run WIN98 SCANDISK /su on it to check for bad blocks.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jun 12, 2005
  8. Matt

    cnw Guest

    SgtMinor <> wrote:

    > cnw wrote:
    >
    > > Neil.
    > > --
    > > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    > > A: Top-posting.
    > > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

    > Q. I seem to have a problem.
    >
    > A. I seem to have a problem.
    > What is your problem?
    >
    > Q. I seem to have a problem.
    > What is your problem?
    > I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    >
    > A. I seem to have a problem.
    > What is your problem?
    > I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
    > What software are you using?

    [snip]

    > Ad nauseum.

    Yes yes - that's a deliberatly bad example.

    I'm not convinced. Bottom posting is not the answer either. Trimming
    the quoted material down to what is relevant - while keeping the order
    conversation-like seems to me to be the best approach.

    I'm not going to argue the point however, it's been done to death.

    There's a standards document for netiquette (RFC 1855)
    <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html> section 3.1.1, if further
    clarification is needed.

    It's no big deal, the news reader I regularly use will re-format badly
    formatted posts at the touch of a key.

    > Get a new sig and don't get your panties in a bunch over top-posting.

    I change my sig fairly frequently. Expect a new one any time soon.

    Neil.
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    cnw, Jun 12, 2005
  9. On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:50:47 +1100, Gaius Baltar aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
    >>one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
    >>new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
    >>UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
    >>the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
    >>start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
    >>making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install

    What part of failing dont you grok?
    Its going tits up, mate.

    Report the fact that ya was sold a POS on their e-bay page.

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 8, 2008
  10. Gaius Baltar wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
    >>one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
    >>new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
    >>UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set

    These drives were manufactured around 2000 or 2001 or even earlier. What do
    you expect from such old goats?

    >>the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
    >>start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
    >>making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
    >>program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
    >>(eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try and
    >>see what Windows XP does to it.

    Install smartmontools. Run "smartctl -a" on the drive. Watch for "Pre-fail"
    attributes. If any absolute count there is >zero, forget about the drive.
    Guess the return postage isn't worth sending it back for another surplus
    worn-out junk replacement, after all.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 9, 2008
  11. Matt

    chame1eon Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:33:20 -0500, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    > Gaius Baltar wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
    >>> one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
    >>> new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
    >>> UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set

    > These drives were manufactured around 2000 or 2001 or even earlier. What
    > do
    > you expect from such old goats?
    >
    >>> the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
    >>> start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
    >>> making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
    >>> program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
    >>> (eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try
    >>> and
    >>> see what Windows XP does to it.

    > Install smartmontools. Run "smartctl -a" on the drive. Watch for
    > "Pre-fail"
    > attributes. If any absolute count there is >zero, forget about the drive.
    > Guess the return postage isn't worth sending it back for another surplus
    > worn-out junk replacement, after all.

    Does it freeze completely or does it just get realy slow?
    I had a quantum fireball in my first computer and loud noises and extreme
    slowness sound normal. Yours sounds a little newer though.

    chame1eon, Nov 9, 2008