    icon was back. So I transferred my ghosted files back to it, and the
    problem came back. Is this a MBR problem? It is driving me nuts.
    Thanks.

    Scribner, May 22, 2005

  2. Scribner

    Parko Guest

    Scribner wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > I'm running XP Pro. I have 6 hard drives. All are FAT32. This has
    > been going on for a real long time, so I can't remember much history.
    > Anyway, half of my drive icons display the generic Windows icon. They
    > all show as normal at the beginning of boot up, but then these three
    > change. I ghosted one drive and re-formatted it. Voila' my drive
    > icon was back. So I transferred my ghosted files back to it, and the
    > problem came back. Is this a MBR problem? It is driving me nuts.
    > Thanks.

    I would suggest the file allocation table on the drive in question is
    corrupt. Formatting the drive appears to have rectified the problem, sooo
    IIRC Symantec Ghost has an image explorer. Open your *.gho image/s and copy
    individual files back to the drive, not the drive image in its entirety.
    Oh, and you should convert your drives to NTFS unless you share the
    files/work with with Macs, Linux boxes, and Win98 PCs.
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, May 23, 2005