Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scribner, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    I'm running XP Pro with an Abit RAID board. On the secondary RAID
    channel, I have a Western Dig. 120 and 160 gig hard drives that I use
    for storage. For quite a while, I have had a problem with the channel
    with the two big drives. Lots of times, the computer wouldn't "see"
    the drives. This seemed to happen after I pulled out those hard
    drives in favor of another drive that I was running a diagnostic on.
    I assumed that it was a bad cable, so I replaced it. No change. So I
    lived with it. Until the other day when suddenly part of my folders
    on the 160 gig. drive disappeared. After a reboot, the folders were
    there but not the contents. I re-booted in Safe Mode, and the
    contents were back. Another re-boot and the files were also there
    under DOS (I keep my drives in FAT 32 just for emergencies). So I
    transferred most of the files off of the drive. But it was late, so I
    went to bed. This morning, I booted under Safe Mode and the folders
    were empty. But they were still there under DOS. I moved the drives
    back to the regular IDE channels, and I can get everything else off,
    except for two folders, whose contents appear scrambled, I ran the
    Western Dig. diagnostics and the drive comes up fine. PQ Magic comes
    up with all sorts of errors. Norton AV gives the drive, and the
    entire system, a clean bill of health. I'm going to re-format the
    drive and start over. Any idea what the cause is? Thanks.
    Scribner, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Scribner

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:32:31 GMT, Scribner <>
    wrote:

    > PQ Magic comes up with all sorts of errors.

    Do you mean Partition Magic?

    Check the partition with Partition Magic 8 - fix any errors found if
    possible.

    Did you run SCANDISK or CHKDSK and let it fix any logical errors
    found?

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:30:40 +1000, Jimmy Dean <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:32:31 GMT, Scribner <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> PQ Magic comes up with all sorts of errors.

    >Do you mean Partition Magic?

    Yep.

    >Check the partition with Partition Magic 8 - fix any errors found if
    >possible.

    Yep.
    >Did you run SCANDISK or CHKDSK and let it fix any logical errors
    >found?

    Yep.>

    Scribner, Jul 5, 2004