    faulty?

    TIA

    Redman

    Redman, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Redman

    Palindrome Guest

    Redman wrote:

    > Ok, my brother has 2 Maxtor 40Gb HDD's. They were installed as a
    > Master/Slave, dual booting Win Xp/98. For some unknown reason he was stopped
    > from browsing the Internet, I suspect a virus or some shit program he had
    > installed. Anyway it called for a re-format/re-partition. I told him over
    > the phone on how to go about it using his boot disk. Fdisk wouldn't let him
    > re-partition the drive. I went round to his house and at the A:\ prompt I
    > was getting a message saying there was no fixed disks present. I now
    > suspected the Chernobyl virus as I know from experience it wipes your hdd.
    > Anyway I took the hdd's out and put them in one by one but one of them is
    > causing the PC to just sit there, no POST bleep, the monitors blank, fans
    > are spinning etc. Is there anything I could try with this hdd? or is it
    > faulty?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Redman

    No fixed disks present, and you have two hard disks?

    Are they detected during POST and does the BIOS detect them?

    From the description, after you took them out and put them back in, you
    didn't put a twist in the cable, did you and is pin 1 still going to pin
    1? It sound like you have a connector the wrong way around. Not got two
    drives as master? Sorry, not meant as an insult - everyone has done it
    at sometime.

    Other than that, the electronics on the drive sounds dead - if one drive
    will work on the cable and the other won't.

    If the drives are identical and I mean REALLY identical - like down to
    the same revision number - you can swap the driver electronics between
    drives. The only reason for doing this is to get at the data on the
    drive if you have no other backup. It does work, sometimes, but can
    EASILY end you up with two dead drives.

    The drive may still be under warranty. Worth reading the serial number
    off and checking before binning it.

    Two drives in a small enclosure can overheat easily. This may have
    caused the initial problem and now the drive has totally died.

    Palindrome, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Redman

    Redman Guest

    Ok thanks for the reply, seems to me that the hdd that won't let the PC boot
    is dead, tried it in my own PC and it's the same symptoms. It's still under
    warranty so I'll have to contact Maxtor.

    Thanks

    Redman

    Redman, Apr 2, 2004