    be done??the drive is only 18 months old.is it possible to recover
    lost data.

    Dave

    Dave, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Dave

    Michael Guest

    In <news:>,
    Dave said:

    > the motor has failed on my fujitsu hard drive. On boot says" cannot
    > find hard drive"Have tried other power lead options.Anything that can
    > be done??the drive is only 18 months old.is it possible to recover
    > lost data.
    >
    > Dave

    Yes, but it will cost you a lot of money.

    Google "data recovery service" or look the same up inn your telephone
    directory.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Dave

    Ski Guest

    >the motor has failed on my fujitsu hard drive. On boot says" cannot
    >find hard drive"Have tried other power lead options.Anything that can
    >be done??the drive is only 18 months old.is it possible to recover
    >lost data.
    >
    >Dave

    tap it gently with a screwdriver handle...take it out, turn it on its
    side...turn it upside down.

    EACH of these things have helped me get dying drives to start ONE more time,
    and get the data out.

    Ski

    Ski, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Dave

    °Mike° Guest

    Are you sure that the motor has failed? Have you tried
    replacing the controller card and ribbon cables?

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:23:25 +0100, in
    <>
    Dave scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Dave

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Dave continued:

    > the motor has failed on my fujitsu hard drive. On boot says" cannot
    > find hard drive"Have tried other power lead options.Anything that can
    > be done??the drive is only 18 months old.is it possible to recover
    > lost data.
    >
    > Dave

    'it it wiv a 'ammer.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Dave

    DaveG Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you

    ?" I
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Dave continued:
    >
    > > the motor has failed on my fujitsu hard drive. On boot says"

    cannot
    > > find hard drive"Have tried other power lead options.Anything that

    can
    > > be done??the drive is only 18 months old.is it possible to recover
    > > lost data.
    > >
    > > Dave

    > 'it it wiv a 'ammer.

    HEY!
    ;-p

    ATB-DG.

    ps-I agree.

    DaveG, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Dave

    Bigjon Guest

    Rôgêr declared:

    > Dave wrote:
    >> the motor has failed on my fujitsu hard drive. On boot says" cannot
    >> find hard drive"Have tried other power lead options.Anything that can
    >> be done??the drive is only 18 months old.is it possible to recover
    >> lost data.

    >> Dave

    > You can go googling for "data recovery". It's available but it's
    > expensive. Depending on how valuable the data is on the dead drive, you
    > may want to just toss it, try a few homemade attempts or pay for the
    > data recovery. I know one guy who saved more than one drive's data by
    > disassembling the hard drive's case and upon power up give the platters
    > a little nudge with his finger to get them spinning. Not recommended for
    > the clumsy or for extremely valuable data.

    I once bought another drive, exactly the same, and swapped the internal
    discs over... It worked up to a point, but was never reliable.
    --
    You can't have it all -
    Where would you put it ?

    Bigjon, Jul 21, 2003
  8. Dave

    Ralph Guest

    >On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:51:55 -0700, "Gary G. Taylor" <> proclaimed:

    >In addition to the other suggestions offered--
    >
    >1. Try taking it out, putting it inside a couple of ziploc bags (to keep
    >moisture away from it), and sticking it in the freezer for a couple of
    >hours. This technique has been known to restore hard drives long enough to
    >get the data off them.
    >
    >At the risk of stating the obvious, if you find that it is in fact a problem
    >with the drive (rather than with the cables, drive controller, OS or
    >whatever), if you are able to revive the drive, getting the data off it
    >immediately is mandatory.
    >
    >2. I believe the drive is still under warranty--or was it one of those
    >one-year jobs? At any rate, once you've gotten the data off it, contact
    >Fujitsu for warranty replacement instructions.

    Gary is right Dave, as weird as it sounds, I too have heard of doing
    just that; take your drive out zip lock bag it, and make sure you
    squeeze as much air out of the zip lock bag before putting it in. If
    you have a few of those dry silica packages that come with electronics
    (to help keep them dry), put them into the bag too.

    Some people say 30 minutes, others suggest a few hours. Your guess is
    as good as mine. The reason for this is that it's been suggested that
    some of the lubricant in the motor may have evaporated and the overly
    heated parts expands to a point that it locks up the drive. The
    cooling hopefully chill contracts those parts so that they can
    temporarily (and this is the operative word) continue to function long
    enough for you to retrieve your data. Make sure you have another drive
    installed and ready to copy data to. Don't expect to be able to burn
    CD after CD with this.

    After cooling, I suggest that you don't even waste time trying to
    re-mount the drive into a bay. Just lay it on a soft flat surface
    (like a mouse pad) and plug in the IDE and power cables. Then power on
    and boot to see if you can see the drive again.

    If not, then a recovery service is the only other option but be
    prepared to pay through the nose.

    Ralph

    Ralph, Jul 21, 2003