Hard drive Problem/Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Panos100m@gmail.com, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello

    I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
    is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
    stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
    that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
    while it makes a clicking noise,
    The drive contains 160 gb of data of which 50 gb (pictures and
    documents) are really important .
    The shop that I bought it from can refund it or exchange it
    alternatively I can return it back to Hitachi and get a replacement one
    ..
    "But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
    (I don't know how legal is that and I question it)
    The problem is that the hard drive contains vital data for me and I
    cannot pay more than £100 for it.
    The cheapest company that I found http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/ will
    charge me about £250 to recover the data.
    One guy in a pc shop that looked at my drive said that it might be the
    chip board of the drive and if I could find a similar one he can change
    it...
    I don't want to loose my data and I can't afford to pay to much,
    Please if anyone can recommend something , a cheaper company ..or any
    shop,person that can fix it in the U.K ...or even a guide to try to fix
    it my self as a last resort I would appreciate it a lot .
    Please reply to this forum or e-mail me at

    Thanks Peter

    , Aug 1, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hello
    |>
    |>I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
    |>is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
    |>stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
    |>that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
    |>while it makes a clicking noise,

    Open it up and make sure the cables are secure,

    A drive will make normal sounds anytime power is applied, even without
    cables attached.

    --
    Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
    http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

    , Aug 1, 2005

  3. dworkin Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
    > is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
    > stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
    > that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
    > while it makes a clicking noise,
    > The drive contains 160 gb of data of which 50 gb (pictures and
    > documents) are really important .
    > The shop that I bought it from can refund it or exchange it
    > alternatively I can return it back to Hitachi and get a replacement
    > one .
    > "But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
    > (I don't know how legal is that and I question it)
    > The problem is that the hard drive contains vital data for me and I
    > cannot pay more than £100 for it.
    > The cheapest company that I found http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/ will
    > charge me about £250 to recover the data.
    > One guy in a pc shop that looked at my drive said that it might be the
    > chip board of the drive and if I could find a similar one he can
    > change it...
    > I don't want to loose my data and I can't afford to pay to much,
    > Please if anyone can recommend something , a cheaper company ..or any
    > shop,person that can fix it in the U.K ...or even a guide to try to
    > fix it my self as a last resort I would appreciate it a lot .
    > Please reply to this forum or e-mail me at
    >
    > Thanks Peter

    Peter, I'm really sorry but if the drive is dead the only ones who can
    get data off it are professional data recovery firms. I used an online
    currency converter to see how much 250 pounds is in US dollars (cause
    that's where I am) and it comes out to around $443. This is a good
    price for data retrieval; the firm I recommend to my clients is
    DriveSavers (www.drivesavers.com) here in the US, and they start at
    around $500. The clicking sound indicates a mechanical problem and I
    very much doubt that switching the drive's board will help.

    The only other thing you can do is try the freezing method. I've not
    done this myself, but people whom I respect have and say it sometimes
    works. You have to put the drive in a water-proof container, like a
    plastic zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for a number of hours.
    Obviously, you have to be really really sure the drive doesn't get
    moist at all. Then you take the drive out of the freezer and *quickly*
    attach it to a machine and if it will boot get all your data off Right
    Quick.

    (Insert the usual stuff about learning how to back up and doing it
    regularly but you already *know* that, don't you?)

    Good luck,

    Dworkin
    --
    "That'll be 10 quid."

    MrGrumpy, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Kooni Guest

    Dworkin thanks a lot for the reply i will try the freezing method ...
    Pennyw i am not sure what do you mean ..is not quite the problem but
    thanks for trying to be helpful :)
    MrGrumpy lesson learned :/

    Kooni, Aug 1, 2005
  6. dworkin Guest

    Kooni wrote:

    > Dworkin thanks a lot for the reply i will try the freezing method ...
    > Pennyw i am not sure what do you mean ..is not quite the problem but
    > thanks for trying to be helpful :)
    > MrGrumpy lesson learned :/

    Let me know if it works - I'm curious.

    Dworkin
    --
    "That'll be 10 quid."

    dworkin, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Guest

    "Kooni" <> wrote:

    |>Dworkin thanks a lot for the reply i will try the freezing method ...
    |>Pennyw i am not sure what do you mean ..is not quite the problem but
    |>thanks for trying to be helpful :)
    |>MrGrumpy lesson learned :/

    I reread it, ya I can see the confusion. Open Your case up, not the
    HD, and make sure the cables are attached to the HD and Mother Board