    find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    it will allow the move to a new location.

    seth1066, Dec 15, 2008

  2. seth1066

    DavidM Guest

    seth1066 wrote:
    > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    > for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    > it will allow the move to a new location.

    You can export all images from Picassa as a webpage. It's a strange way
    to do it, but select the webpage export option, then tell it to use
    "original image size" and select a very basic layout option. Picassa
    will construct a webstie (not what you want) and put all of the images
    in a folder called "images" (what you want) plus another full of thumbnails.
    I'm sure there used to be a proper "export images" option in Picassa,
    have they removed it?

    DavidM

    DavidM, Dec 15, 2008

  3. seth1066

    seth1066 Guest

    On Dec 15, 10:46 am, DavidM <newsNO@_SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk> wrote:
    > seth1066 wrote:
    > > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    > > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    > > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    > > for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    > > it will allow the move to a new location.

    > You can export all images from Picassa as a webpage. It's a strange way
    > to do it, but select the webpage export option, then tell it to use
    > "original image size" and select a very basic layout option. Picassa
    > will construct a webstie (not what you want) and put all of the images
    > in a folder called "images" (what you want) plus another full of thumbnails.
    > I'm sure there used to be a proper "export images" option in Picassa,
    > have they removed it?
    >
    > DavidM

    That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
    Picasa method.

    seth1066, Dec 15, 2008
  4. seth1066 <> wrote:
    >I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >for ease of backup?

    Any operating system I know of has build-in tools that allow do to that
    as a standard operation. Unfortunately you are not telling us which OS
    you are using.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Dec 15, 2008
  5. seth1066

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:33:20 -0800, seth1066 wrote:

    > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location for
    > ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think it
    > will allow the move to a new location.

    from the command line:

    find / -name "*.jpg" -exec mv {} /directoryforbackup \;

    same with whatever the raw file name is. Use 'cp' vice 'mv' if you simply
    want to copy.

    ray, Dec 15, 2008
  6. seth1066

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:01:29 -0800, Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    >seth1066 <> wrote:
    >>I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >>different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >>find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >>for ease of backup?

    >Any operating system I know of has build-in tools that allow do to that
    >as a standard operation. Unfortunately you are not telling us which OS
    >you are using.

    Windows XP has "Search", and you can search for all files ending in
    ".jpg" (or anything else). You can then block highlight and move
    those files to one folder.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 15, 2008
  7. seth1066

    Pat Guest

    On Dec 15, 11:52 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:33:20 -0800 (PST), seth1066 <>
    > wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    > >different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    > >find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    > >for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    > >it will allow the move to a new location.

    > Windows Search.  Search for images, creating a result folder.  Select
    > all images in the result folder, and then Move them to a new folder.
    > Simple.  No other software needed.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas
    > [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
    > <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

    Yes that would work, but if he has multiple files with the same name
    "IMG_001.JPG" for example, then all hell will break loose.

    Pat, Dec 15, 2008
  8. seth1066

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:07:31 -0800, John Navas wrote:

    > On 15 Dec 2008 16:52:36 GMT, ray <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:33:20 -0800, seth1066 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >>> different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >>> find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >>> for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    >>> it will allow the move to a new location.

    >>from the command line:
    >>
    >>find / -name "*.jpg" -exec mv {} /directoryforbackup \;
    >>
    >>same with whatever the raw file name is. Use 'cp' vice 'mv' if you
    >>simply want to copy.

    > Except he's running Windows, where that won't work unless a POSIX shell
    > tools package has been installed.
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posix#POSIX_for_Windows>

    1) how do you know that?
    2) MS has a free 'unix commands for MS' package available, I believe.

    ray, Dec 15, 2008
  9. seth1066

    Benlars Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:33:20 -0800 (PST), seth1066 <>
    > wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >>different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >>find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >>for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    >>it will allow the move to a new location.

    > Windows Search. Search for images, creating a result folder. Select
    > all images in the result folder, and then Move them to a new folder.
    > Simple. No other software needed.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas
    > [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
    > <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

    This will find all photos including those he doesn't want (i.e. - image
    files associated with various programs and menus, etc.) but it's still a
    good way to go if you add one more step: after the search completes click on
    the "In Folder" column header to sort the files by where they are currently
    located and then move only those files that are of interest. This will also
    allow you to move groups of files from the same folder into an appropriate
    sub-folder in you new location thus avoiding any problems from files with
    the same name and greatly simplifying any additional organization of the
    files you want to do.

    Benlars, Dec 15, 2008
  10. seth1066

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:01:32 -0800, John Navas wrote:

    > On 15 Dec 2008 18:56:27 GMT, ray <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:07:31 -0800, John Navas wrote:

    >>> Except he's running Windows, where that won't work unless a POSIX
    >>> shell tools package has been installed.
    >>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posix#POSIX_for_Windows>

    >>1) how do you know that?

    > I checked the headers of his posting.

    Could very possibly be posting from another machine. It happens all the
    time - work vs home, etc.

    ray, Dec 15, 2008
  11. seth1066

    Benlars Guest

    >>This will find all photos including those he doesn't want (i.e. - image
    >>files associated with various programs and menus, etc.)

    > On the contrary -- it will only find his saved image files. Try it
    > yourself. And it can easily show him the images with thumbnails. And
    > he can select by size and/or date and time.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas
    > [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
    > <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

    I apologize if I misunderstood the method. I assumed that it would be a
    search for *.jpg (or .bmp, .gif, etc). In which case, the Windows search
    function (if searching the entire hard drive) would also find jpg and other
    image format files that were loaded onto the computer during the
    installation of programs (not, obviously, those that were embedded within a
    program exe or dll file). Such separate image files are often used for
    various purposes by programmers and are placed on the hard drive as part of
    the program installation process. These would be easily recognized since
    they would most likely be in folders such as C:\Program Files\Program ABC,
    etc. and could be easily ignored as long as the search's result was sorted
    by the In Folder column.

    Benlars, Dec 15, 2008
  12. John Navas <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:25:07 GMT, "Benlars" <> wrote in
    ><D2z1l.339$>:
    >
    >>> Windows Search. Search for images, creating a result folder. Select
    >>> all images in the result folder, and then Move them to a new folder.
    >>> Simple. No other software needed.

    >>This will find all photos including those he doesn't want (i.e. - image
    >>files associated with various programs and menus, etc.)

    >On the contrary -- it will only find his saved image files. Try it
    >yourself. And it can easily show him the images with thumbnails. And
    >he can select by size and/or date and time.

    And on top of that it is trivial to limit the search to those
    directories that contain your photos, regardless which OS he is running
    or which search tool he is using. At least for any search utility I am
    aware of.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Dec 15, 2008
  13. seth1066

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:40:41 -0800, John Navas wrote:

    > On 15 Dec 2008 20:39:55 GMT, ray <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:01:32 -0800, John Navas wrote:

    >>> I checked the headers of his posting.

    >>Could very possibly be posting from another machine. It happens all the
    >>time - work vs home, etc.

    > I also checked the time he posted.
    >
    > Give it up.

    Since I see you are totally intractable, I will.

    ray, Dec 15, 2008
  14. seth1066

    DRS Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > Windows XP has "Search", and you can search for all files ending in
    > ".jpg" (or anything else). You can then block highlight and move
    > those files to one folder.

    One minor point: by default XP has "Hide extensions for known file types"
    turned on. This will not stop Windows Search from finding ".jpg" files,
    etc, but it can make life more difficult when manually browsing with My
    Computer or Windows Explorer. This setting can be turned off via Tools >
    Folder Options... > View tab.

    DRS, Dec 16, 2008
  15. seth1066

    seth1066 Guest

    Man, do I feel dumb. Yes, it is Windows and thanks to John for
    suggesting the uber simple method; I was thinking in terms of some
    click oriented software. After a disk backup, I'll just do searches
    for .jpg, .crw, .nef. ,psd, etc. and move all the the loose ones under
    C:\ and then move the directories that contain just photo files. Then
    rerun the search to pick up any stragglers in other folders. Thanks.

    seth1066, Dec 16, 2008
  16. seth1066

    seth1066 Guest

    On Dec 15, 11:52 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:33:20 -0800 (PST), seth1066 <>
    > wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    > >different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    > >find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    > >for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    > >it will allow the move to a new location.

    > Windows Search.  Search for images, creating a result folder.  Select
    > all images in the result folder, and then Move them to a new folder.
    > Simple.  No other software needed.
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas
    > [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
    > <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

    Man, do I feel dumb. Yes, it is Windows and thanks to John for
    suggesting the uber simple method; I was thinking in terms of some
    click oriented software. After a disk backup, I'll just do searches
    for .jpg, .crw, .nef. ,psd, etc. and move all the loose ones under

    seth1066, Dec 16, 2008
  17. seth1066 <> wrote:
    > On Dec 15, 10:46?am, DavidM <newsNO@_SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk> wrote:
    >> seth1066 wrote:
    >> > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >> > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >> > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >> > for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    >> > it will allow the move to a new location.

    >> You can export all images from Picassa as a webpage. It's a strange way
    >> to do it, but select the webpage export option, then tell it to use
    >> "original image size" and select a very basic layout option. Picassa
    >> will construct a webstie (not what you want) and put all of the images
    >> in a folder called "images" (what you want) plus another full of thumbnails.
    >> I'm sure there used to be a proper "export images" option in Picassa,
    >> have they removed it?
    >>
    >> DavidM

    > That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
    > Picasa method.

    It would take the computer a lot of work, not you. You just have to
    issue the general command and then find something else to do while it
    gets on with it.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Dec 16, 2008
  18. seth1066

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:55:37 -0800 (PST), seth1066
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 15, 10:46 am, DavidM <newsNO@_SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk> wrote:
    >> seth1066 wrote:
    >> > I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >> > different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >> > find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >> > for ease of backup? I know Picasa can find them all, but I don't think
    >> > it will allow the move to a new location.

    >> You can export all images from Picassa as a webpage. It's a strange way
    >> to do it, but select the webpage export option, then tell it to use
    >> "original image size" and select a very basic layout option. Picassa
    >> will construct a webstie (not what you want) and put all of the images
    >> in a folder called "images" (what you want) plus another full of thumbnails.
    >> I'm sure there used to be a proper "export images" option in Picassa,
    >> have they removed it?
    >>
    >> DavidM

    >That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
    >Picasa method.

    If you are using Windows you can do it with 'Find'. I know, I've just
    done it.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Dec 16, 2008
  19. seth1066

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:57:27 -0500, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:01:29 -0800, Jürgen Exner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>seth1066 <> wrote:
    >>>I have a drive with raw and jpg files strewn all over it in many
    >>>different folders and sub folders. Is there a good program that will
    >>>find all the files and allow them to be placed in a single location
    >>>for ease of backup?

    >>Any operating system I know of has build-in tools that allow do to that
    >>as a standard operation. Unfortunately you are not telling us which OS
    >>you are using.

    >Windows XP has "Search", and you can search for all files ending in
    >".jpg" (or anything else). You can then block highlight and move
    >those files to one folder.

    <Ctrl - a> selects everything in the window.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Dec 16, 2008
  20. seth1066

    John G. Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:33:38 +1300, Eric Stevens
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:55:37 -0800 (PST), seth1066
    >><> wrote:

    >>>That's a lot of work, there are thousands of images. Looking for a non
    >>>Picasa method.

    >>If you are using Windows you can do it with 'Find'. I know, I've just
    >>done it.

    > Find? How? Windows Find searches for text within files:
    >
    > Searches for a specific string of text in a file or files. After
    > searching the specified file or files, find displays any lines of
    > text that contain the specified string.
    >
    > Perhaps you're thinking of POSIX Find? ;)
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John

    Windows FIND has been called SEARCH for many years and will find by File
    name, date, content, size etc.
    Just click the START then SEARCH.

    John G.

    John G., Dec 17, 2008