    using f disk , every time i try to fdisk it ,

    it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .

    help WALT

    walt, May 5, 2009

  2. walt

    walt Guest

    On May 4, 10:53�pm, R�g�r <> wrote:
    > walt wrote:
    > > hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD

    > > using f disk �, every time i try to fdisk it �,

    > > it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .

    > > help �WALT

    > What operating system? If it's Win2K or beyond, you don't want to use fdisk.

    OS is win 98se . WALT

    walt, May 5, 2009

  3. walt

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 04 May 2009 19:58:24 -0700, walt wrote:

    > On May 4, 10:53�pm, R�g�r <> wrote:
    >> walt wrote:
    >> > hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD

    >> > using f disk �, every time i try to fdisk it �,

    >> > it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .

    >> > help �WALT

    >> What operating system? If it's Win2K or beyond, you don't want to use
    >> fdisk.

    > OS is win 98se . WALT

    LOL! Lamer. Give up and find another hobby.

    Need help?: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
    Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

    Dan C, May 5, 2009
  4. walt

    lugnut Guest

    On Mon, 4 May 2009 19:58:24 -0700 (PDT), walt
    <> wrote:

    >On May 4, 10:53?pm, R?g?r <> wrote:
    >> walt wrote:
    >> > hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD

    >> > using f disk ?, every time i try to fdisk it ?,

    >> > it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .

    >> > help ?WALT

    >> What operating system? If it's Win2K or beyond, you don't want to use fdisk.

    >OS is win 98se . WALT

    It has been a long time since I worked with 98 but, you may
    be hitting the 1024 cylinder limit on the drive. I don't
    believe IIRC that w98 will go larger than 8GB or so in the
    boot partition even if using FAT32. You would be better off
    to d/l the utilities for the drive manufacturer. You may
    want to install their drive manager to allow full access to
    the hard drive. All of the manufacturers have a drive prep
    utility but, you can usually use whatever you are comfy
    with. I like the Maxtor or Seagate utility but the WD
    lifeline stuff also works. Another avenue is the GPartEd
    utlility which is free if your machine can boot from a CD.
    You can set the drive for whatever format and partitioning
    you like.

    Lugnut

    lugnut, May 5, 2009
  5. walt

    Guest

    , May 5, 2009
  6. walt

    thanatoid Guest

    walt <> wrote in news:1f6fe3ce-c51b-4fbf-9c4c-
    :

    > hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD
    >
    > using f disk , every time i try to fdisk it ,
    >
    > it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .
    >
    > help WALT

    Since you are using f-disk I would assume that you are ready
    and willing to wipe your ENTIRE drive clean, intentionally or
    not. Because sooner or later that's what will happen.

    Now, you might be seeing only that much FORMATTED (not fdisk'd)
    because that's how much IS formatted. Why? Many possible
    reasons. Your drive may be dying, someone messed with the drive
    partitions and fucked them up, etc.

    You have to read up on partitions, primary and virtual, and
    perhaps try another partition tool.

    Partition Magic 8 and before (until Norton bought it and
    destroyed it) was very user friendly, so are the ones from
    Acronis and a few others I can't recall. Google for "free
    partition manager". **Beware** of some of them - the Ranish PM
    is free and extremely powerful - and will almost certainly ****
    up your drive because it is not for beginners or even self-
    proclaimed experts. I learned MY lesson very quickly.

    As for 98, I have an 80GB HD partitioned into 11 drives. No
    special software or anything. I believe the limit is 137GB.

    It also depends on your motherboard/BIOS, but the 5.9GB figure
    doesn't jive with any limitations of older machines. The closest
    to 6 GB was 8.4 GB for MB's from about 12 years ago.

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with

    thanatoid, May 5, 2009
  7. walt

    Guest

    walt wrote:
    > hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD
    >
    > using f disk , every time i try to fdisk it ,
    >
    > it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .
    >
    > help WALT

    Fdisk is limted in size that it can create in 98. You can use a
    windowsme floppy bootdisk. With the same fdisk /s routine and it will
    work in creating a fat32 filesystem with large disk support.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867

    I think they are free here, download the creation utilitly and the
    bootdisk.zip here.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Note the large drive support option

    , May 5, 2009
  8. walt

    Guest

    walt wrote:
    > hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD
    >
    > using f disk , every time i try to fdisk it ,
    >
    > it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .
    >
    > help WALT

    I think my post wasn't helpful, is it used? If so overwrite the drive
    with dban and or check the integrity of the drive.
    Search something like check bad sectors in google. Drive fitness test
    and the like. For overwriting dban

    , May 5, 2009
  9. walt

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    walt wrote:
    > On May 4, 10:53�pm, R�g�r <> wrote:
    >> walt wrote:
    >>> hi ; ive got a 40 gig HD
    >>> using f disk �, every time i try to fdisk it �,
    >>> it only shows 5.9 gig as being fdisk'd .
    >>> help �WALT

    >> What operating system? If it's Win2K or beyond, you don't want to use fdisk.

    > OS is win 98se . WALT

    ROFL!!!

    Desk Rabbit, May 5, 2009
  10. walt

    Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:
    > walt wrote:
    > >> What operating system? If it's Win2K or beyond, you don't want to use fdisk.

    > > OS is win 98se . WALT

    > ROFL!!!

    I would move to linux, least you could get updates and new updated
    functional software. I used to have winme
    get hacked posting to usenet even with a fireall. Like make a post
    then watch everything start going downhill.
    Watch the firewall icon go dark, disappear, things start acting buggy,
    then loos the internet connection.

    I kick myself for sticking with it for as long as I did.

    To the op, it's not a supported version anymore but pclinux 93a works
    well with older systems and is easy to install.

    , May 5, 2009