    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Barry OGrady

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Barry OGrady

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Shep© wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:32:26 +1000, In this world we created Barry
    > OGrady <> wrote :
    >

    >>I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a hard drive
    >>causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?

    > Not exactly.
    > Click here,
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html
    > HTH :)

    Ok... So where does it say anything about hard drive performance?
    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Barry OGrady

    °Mike° Guest

    It would be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to get a
    hard drive to run at the same (slower) speed as a CD-ROM.

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:32:26 +1000, in
    <>
    Barry OGrady scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Barry OGrady

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Barry OGrady said:

    > I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a
    > hard drive causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?
    >

    > -Barry

    Does your "informant" ask all they're customers if they want fries with their
    orders too?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror
    Brian H¹©, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Barry OGrady

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Barry OGrady said:
    >
    >> I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable as a
    >> hard drive causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is that true?
    >>

    >> -Barry

    > Does your "informant" ask all they're customers if they want fries with their
    > orders too?

    their :S

    Brian H¹©, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Barry OGrady

    Hoser Guest

    Barry OGrady <> wrote in

    > I have been informed that having a CDROM drive on the same IDE cable
    > as a hard drive causes the hard drive to run at the slower speed. Is
    > that true?

    I have heard the same thing, it was applicable on older computers, not sure
    if it still applies today but I still apply the rules to any system I
    assemble just in case since there is no harm.
    Supposedly if the cd rom is running at a lower access speed it forces the
    hard drive to run at the same lower speed when they share the same ide
    channel.
    Eg: pairing a udma100 hard drive with a cd rom that runs at dma33 would
    slow the access speed of the hard drive to dma33.

    Found the following info at:http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/cdrom/

    Other Miscellaneous Tweaks

    Particularly if you have an older computer, make sure that your CD-ROM
    drive isn't on the same IDE channel as your hard drive. Sharing of IDE
    channels can dramatically slow down CD-ROM and hard disk access. Also, make
    sure that the drive is configured as the 'master' on it's IDE channel,
    instead of the 'slave'. This can increase access time by allowing the CD-
    ROM drive to pre-empt other traffic on the channel.

    Also, using a CD lens cleaner on your drive can speed it up dramatically,
    because any dust or other junk that touches the laser lens will slow down
    its access time, just like scratches on CD media will. And while you're at
    it, clean the CD tray and your CD's as well - every little bit helps,
    particularly if you are playing a game that you've had for a while

    And more of the same at:
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confPerformance.html

    Hard Disk and ATAPI Device Channel Sharing: There are several reasons why
    optical drives (or other ATAPI devices) should not be shared on the same
    channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows the use of the same physical
    channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same protocol; ATAPI uses a much
    more complicated command structure. Opticals are also generally much slower
    devices than hard disks, so they can slow a hard disk down when sharing a
    channel. Finally, some ATAPI devices cannot deal with DMA bus mastering
    drivers, and will cause a problem if you try to enable bus mastering for a
    hard disk on a channel they are using.
    Hoser, Jul 20, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    "Hoser" <> wrote in message

    > I have heard the same thing, it was applicable on older computers, not

    sure
    > if it still applies today but I still apply the rules to any system I
    > assemble just in case since there is no harm.
    > Supposedly if the cd rom is running at a lower access speed it forces the
    > hard drive to run at the same lower speed when they share the same ide
    > channel.
    > Eg: pairing a udma100 hard drive with a cd rom that runs at dma33 would
    > slow the access speed of the hard drive to dma33.

    Actually, not even. THAT problem is only evident when you're
    running in PIO modes - !ALL! UDMA capable chipset AND drivers support dual
    FIFOs, so if you can run in DMA mode, no way in hell.

    However, if you install, say, Win98SE on a new motherboard, it'll
    run in PIO mode until you get the drivers installed.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 22, 2003