    format, repair or install Windows to this disk. Any ideas? Questions?

    Ken Walden

    , Jan 18, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:20:53 -0800, ken.walden wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm attempting to migrate a 60 gig Maxtor IDE drive from a Mac we were
    > using as file server, to a PC. I'm having problems with the hard drive
    > however. In the Mac it used to be in I used Drive Utility to format it
    > in MS-DOS format. Then I switched it to the PC. However, the PC BIOS
    > does not see the drive at all. I can't install Windows to it, or run
    > any kind of utility on it because it is not visible. I have checked
    > jumper settings, IDE cables, and such and can see no problem there.
    >
    > I have also installed it into my PC, running Windows 2000. If I boot to
    > a floppy, I also cannot see the disk drive. However, if I boot to my
    > normal Windows 2000, the drive is visible. However, I have tried
    > formatting it with Partion Magic and it says it's bad, and seems to
    > suggest there is a master boot record error.
    >
    > So in summary, the Mac and Windows 2000 machines already running can
    > both see the disk. However the PC I'm installing it into, and the BIOS
    > on my machine do not see the drive at bootup. I can't find anyway to
    > format, repair or install Windows to this disk. Any ideas? Questions?

    Go buy a new drive.

    Meat Plow, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Martik Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm attempting to migrate a 60 gig Maxtor IDE drive from a Mac we were
    > using as file server, to a PC. I'm having problems with the hard drive
    > however. In the Mac it used to be in I used Drive Utility to format it
    > in MS-DOS format. Then I switched it to the PC. However, the PC BIOS
    > does not see the drive at all. I can't install Windows to it, or run
    > any kind of utility on it because it is not visible. I have checked
    > jumper settings, IDE cables, and such and can see no problem there.
    >
    > I have also installed it into my PC, running Windows 2000. If I boot to
    > a floppy, I also cannot see the disk drive. However, if I boot to my
    > normal Windows 2000, the drive is visible. However, I have tried
    > formatting it with Partion Magic and it says it's bad, and seems to
    > suggest there is a master boot record error.
    >
    > So in summary, the Mac and Windows 2000 machines already running can
    > both see the disk. However the PC I'm installing it into, and the BIOS
    > on my machine do not see the drive at bootup. I can't find anyway to
    > format, repair or install Windows to this disk. Any ideas? Questions?
    >
    > Ken Walden

    Go to the maxtor website and download their diagnostic tools and test the
    drive.
    W2000 will not see the drive if it is NOT detected in the BIOS. Have you
    checked for the settings in the bios setup?

    http://maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxto...oftware Downloads/Top Downloads&downloadID=22

    Martik, Jan 19, 2006