Hard Drive not showing all free space

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Derek, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Hi,

    I've got two 160 GB SATA hard drives. One is partitioned into a 147GB
    partition for backups and a 2GB partition I use as a scratch disk for
    Photoshop.

    The backup partition had two copies of the My Documents folder, both around
    40GB. I deleted one and Windows Explorer now shows just the one 43.7GB
    folder and nothing else.

    However Properties for that drive/partition shows the Used Space as 80GB and
    the Free Space as 63GB with a Capacity of 147GB.

    Computer Management shows the same and also shows the drive as "Healthy
    (Page File)". It won't let me delete the partition or format it - they're
    both greyed out.

    Where has my free space gone? How can I get it back? Will reinstalling
    Windows correct it? I was going to do this anyway.

    Many thanks for any words of wisdom as I'm stuck.

    Derek.
    Derek, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Derek

    John A Guest

    Only a long shot - but...

    Have you accidentally drag-and-dropped one of the My Document folders into
    the other one? This would give the impression than you have deleted one of
    the two folders and explain why no space has been released..

    John A, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the suggestion, but no I haven't done that. If I had, the My Docs
    folder I can see would now be around twice the size that it used to be and
    its still 43.7GB.

    It'll probably go down as one of life's mysteries.

    Thanks anyway,

    Derek.

    Derek, Feb 5, 2007