Hard Drive Not Found?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, May 24, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I left my Thinkpad T21 running while I went out for a few hours. When I
    returned trhe screen was black. I tried rebooting a few times and got a
    message saying, "No Hard Drive Found." Not good. Figured my hard drive
    had crashed and was resigned to the fact that I would have to get a new
    one (this is a Toshiba). But worst oif all was that I had not backed
    anything up. I went to bed sad, very sad.

    But this morning I tried again to boot the computer and it booted
    normally. I quickly attached my Maxtor One Touch and backed up My
    Documents and Settings (not sure what's included in all that. Does it
    include my IE and Firefox Favorites?).

    Anyway, now I'm wondering what caused the "Hatrd Drive Not Found"
    message to appear. Does this means my hard drive is in imminent danger
    of crashing for good? Should I replace it immediately?

    Thanks.

    John

    John, May 24, 2005

  2. John wrote:
    > I left my Thinkpad T21 running while I went out for a few hours. When

    > returned trhe screen was black. I tried rebooting a few times and got

    > message saying, "No Hard Drive Found." Not good. Figured my hard

    drive
    > had crashed and was resigned to the fact that I would have to get a

    new
    > one (this is a Toshiba). But worst oif all was that I had not backed
    > anything up. I went to bed sad, very sad.
    >
    > But this morning I tried again to boot the computer and it booted
    > normally. I quickly attached my Maxtor One Touch and backed up My
    > Documents and Settings (not sure what's included in all that. Does it

    > include my IE and Firefox Favorites?).
    >
    > Anyway, now I'm wondering what caused the "Hatrd Drive Not Found"
    > message to appear. Does this means my hard drive is in imminent

    danger
    > of crashing for good? Should I replace it immediately?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    Most thinkpad I've seen have a test program built in the bios. Use
    that.

    Also, thinkpads can be a bit sensitive sometimes. I've had 600 series
    thinkpads that flatly refused to boot when a user pushed the button and
    booted just fine when I showed up.

    On some models they also show symptoms like that when the backup
    battery ages, something that the self test should tell you.

    Jeroen.

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 24, 2005