    shut it down until the backups are done.

    Any ideas?

    bhd.

    bhd, Jun 11, 2006

  2. On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote the following mundane shiat:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
    > from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's failed
    > halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A) making a
    > repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.
    >
    > I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
    > the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
    > the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
    > windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.
    >
    > I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
    > shut it down until the backups are done.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > bhd.

    Your drive is probably ready to go tits up despite what their diag
    software tells you. Get a new drive pronto before this one dies with all
    your data on it.

    Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jun 11, 2006

  3. bhd

    Deano Guest

    "Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in message

    > Your drive is probably ready to go tits up despite what their diag
    > software tells you. Get a new drive pronto before this one dies with all
    > your data on it.

    I second that. Backup everything up NOW and replace the drive.

    Deano, Jun 11, 2006
  4. bhd wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
    > from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
    > failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
    > making a
    > repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

    Sounds like trying to recalibrate but hit physical border instead of finding
    a reference sector.
    How warm does your harddrive get?

    > I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
    > the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
    > the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
    > windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.

    Do not stress your harddrive through testing, until you made a linear-move
    backup using a 2nd drive and imaging tool (winpe, linux livecd, ghost boot
    floppy), or at least have saved your important data.
    Make sure your harddrive stays cool. It is unwise to stack two drives with
    no space in between.

    > I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
    > shut it down until the backups are done.

    Afterwards, use a linux/knoppix live cd, become root and "smartctl" (--help
    first) to find out more. For windows, there are some free/time limited hd
    diagnosis programs as well that read out s.m.a.r.t info, you may google for
    them.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 11, 2006
  5. bhd

    philo Guest

    "bhd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
    > from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
    > failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
    > making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.
    >
    > I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
    > the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
    > the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
    > windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.
    >
    > I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
    > shut it down until the backups are done.

    Back it up and replace it...
    It's going to totally fail quite soon.

    philo, Jun 11, 2006
  6. bhd

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:

    > ubject: Hard drive noises (again)
    > From: "bhd" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
    > from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
    > failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
    > making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

    Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
    applications to a new drive before the fucker takes its fina lshit.

    Meat Plow, Jun 11, 2006
  7. bhd

    bhd Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > bhd wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
    >> from the sound it makes?

    > How warm does your harddrive get?

    er, um, not clue. The case is well-ventilated and it's not being
    overstressed, but who knows.

    > Do not stress your harddrive through testing, until you made a linear-move
    > backup using a 2nd drive and imaging tool (winpe, linux livecd, ghost boot
    > floppy), or at least have saved your important data.

    My plans exactly.

    > Afterwards, use a linux/knoppix live cd, become root and "smartctl"
    > (--help
    > first) to find out more. For windows, there are some free/time limited hd
    > diagnosis programs as well that read out s.m.a.r.t info, you may google
    > for
    > them.

    A-Googling I go - thanks.

    bhd.

    bhd, Jun 11, 2006
  8. bhd

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:20:03 +0100, bhd wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:
    >>

    >> Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
    >> applications to a new drive before the fucker takes its fina lshit.
    >>
    >> --

    > Well me, or I wouldn't have asked :eek:)
    >
    > bhd.

    Acronis Migrate Easy - 15 day trial, free download. Use it to migrate your
    operating system, data and applications to a new drive before the old
    drive fails while you chat with these retards about how warm it
    gets.

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/migrateeasy/

    Meat Plow, Jun 11, 2006
  9. bhd

    burris Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:
    >
    >> ubject: Hard drive noises (again)
    >> From: "bhd" <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
    >> from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
    >> failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
    >> making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

    > Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
    > applications to a new drive before the fucker takes its fina lshit.

    Wow! Who said this NG didn't have class?

    burris, Jun 11, 2006
  10. if you hear noises in your computer and if it is your harddrive the best
    thing to do is buy a new one they dont
    really cost much it depends on the GB you choose

    frances martin, Jun 11, 2006
  11. bhd

    Guest

    , Jun 11, 2006
  12. bhd

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:11:29 -0400, burris wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:
    >>
    >>> ubject: Hard drive noises (again) From: "bhd"
    >>> <>
    >>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100
    >>>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is
    >>> failing from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up,
    >>> it's failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate
    >>> ST380011A) making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise.
    >>> Restarting worked OK.

    >> Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
    >> applications to a new drive before the fucker takes its fina lshit.
    >>

    > Wow! Who said this NG didn't have class?

    You fuckin betcha it has class. Now be so good as to slit your own fucking
    throat you less than useless ****-clot.

    Meat Plow, Jun 12, 2006