    Some XP updates have gone on (not SP2).

    Can anybody suggest what I'm doing wrong. Is there a virus that can do this?

    KB

    KB, Feb 22, 2005

  2. KB

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:25:59 +0000 (UTC), "KB" <> wrote:

    >In three weeks my hard disk has lost over 3gb free space.
    >
    >I've taken stuff off, cleared temp int files and cookies, emptied recycle
    >bin etc.
    >
    >Some XP updates have gone on (not SP2).
    >
    >Can anybody suggest what I'm doing wrong. Is there a virus that can do this?
    >
    >KB

    System restore is probably using it...

    Delete restore points you no longer need.
    Click Start, Accessories, System tools, Disk Cleanup, "More Options"
    tab, "System Restore" section, "Clean up..." button, click Yes.

    Unk, Feb 22, 2005

  3. KB

    KB Guest

    Many thanks

    I've clawed back 1.2gb doing what you said.

    The rest is still a mystery but this gives me breathing space

    KB

    KB, Feb 22, 2005
  4. KB wrote:

    > Many thanks
    >
    > I've clawed back 1.2gb doing what you said.
    >
    > The rest is still a mystery but this gives me breathing space
    >
    > KB

    Don't have Norton's "protected" trash, do you?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 22, 2005
  5. KB

    No one Guest

    KB wrote:

    > In three weeks my hard disk has lost over 3gb free space.
    >
    > I've taken stuff off, cleared temp int files and cookies, emptied recycle
    > bin etc.
    >
    > Some XP updates have gone on (not SP2).
    >
    > Can anybody suggest what I'm doing wrong. Is there a virus that can do this?
    >
    > KB

    what do you mean by '...gone on (not SP2)"?
    what does a 'search by file size' tell you?

    No one, Feb 22, 2005
  6. KB

    KB Guest

    No, but I do have EZ Antivirus (BT Protect) if that's at all relevant.

    And another problem which I was blaming on my 'nearly full' disc is that I
    can't defragment due to: ".....inconsistencies in the filesystem.....Please
    run CHKDSK or SCANDISK....... to repair these inconsistencies...." This
    still applies.

    I ran the former (the latter didn't work) from Windows Start;Run and the
    black msdos box came and went at high speed. So I went from dos and I got
    amongst other things: "....F parameter not specified . Running chkdsk in
    read-only mode. Chkdsk is verifying files (stage 1 of 3).
    Deleting corrupt file record segment 28120.
    Errors found. Chkdsk cannot continue in read-only mode." Then back to the
    C: prompt.

    At this point I'm lost.

    Any suggestions would help

    KB

    KB, Feb 22, 2005
  7. KB wrote:

    > No, but I do have EZ Antivirus (BT Protect) if that's at all relevant.
    >
    > And another problem which I was blaming on my 'nearly full' disc is that I
    > can't defragment due to: ".....inconsistencies in the filesystem.....Please
    > run CHKDSK or SCANDISK....... to repair these inconsistencies...." This
    > still applies.
    >
    > I ran the former (the latter didn't work) from Windows Start;Run and the
    > black msdos box came and went at high speed. So I went from dos and I got
    > amongst other things: "....F parameter not specified . Running chkdsk in
    > read-only mode. Chkdsk is verifying files (stage 1 of 3).
    > Deleting corrupt file record segment 28120.
    > Errors found. Chkdsk cannot continue in read-only mode." Then back to the
    > C: prompt.
    >
    > At this point I'm lost.
    >
    > Any suggestions would help

    Chkdsk is letting you know that if you don't specify that it fix any
    problems by using the /f switch then it runs in "informational" mode
    only. Try: chkdsk /f

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 22, 2005
  8. KB

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:53:06 +0000 (UTC), "KB" <>
    wrote:

    |> Many thanks
    |>
    |> I've clawed back 1.2gb doing what you said.
    |>
    |> The rest is still a mystery but this gives me breathing space

    Start > find <type in> *.dmp <enter>

    A dump file is created and add'd to each time a program crashes. This
    can become hugh, if you find one just delete it.

    --

    , Feb 22, 2005
  9. KB

    JIM Guest

    >> In three weeks my hard disk has lost over 3gb free space.

    I assume that you have emptied the Recycle Bin. Deleted files are not
    removed from the drive until you empty the R.B.

    Jim

    JIM, Feb 22, 2005
  10. KB

    KB Guest

    Thanks Jim

    I had in fact done that already, but I have just managed to refill it! and
    then dump all that lot as well.

    I found a useful web page at :

    I've grabbed another 1.4gb

    KB

    KB, Feb 22, 2005
  11. KB

    KB Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > KB wrote:
    >
    > > No, but I do have EZ Antivirus (BT Protect) if that's at all relevant.
    > >
    > > And another problem which I was blaming on my 'nearly full' disc is that

    > > can't defragment due to: ".....inconsistencies in the

    filesystem.....Please
    > > run CHKDSK or SCANDISK....... to repair these inconsistencies...."

    This
    > > still applies.
    > >
    > > I ran the former (the latter didn't work) from Windows Start;Run and the
    > > black msdos box came and went at high speed. So I went from dos and I

    got
    > > amongst other things: "....F parameter not specified . Running chkdsk

    in
    > > read-only mode. Chkdsk is verifying files (stage 1 of 3).
    > > Deleting corrupt file record segment 28120.
    > > Errors found. Chkdsk cannot continue in read-only mode." Then back to

    the
    > > C: prompt.
    > >
    > > At this point I'm lost.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would help
    > >

    > Chkdsk is letting you know that if you don't specify that it fix any
    > problems by using the /f switch then it runs in "informational" mode
    > only. Try: chkdsk /f

    Thanks for your help Rôgêr

    I did that and it sorted it out on restarting. Defrag now working.

    I also got rid of more junk -see:

    KB

    KB, Feb 22, 2005
  12. KB

    KB Guest

    KB, Feb 22, 2005
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 22, 2005