Hard drive / motherboard problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by SBFan2000, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. SBFan2000

    SBFan2000 Guest

    About a week ago my primary boot drive made a loud click stopped spinning
    then would spin back up, this caused windows to freeze. I replaced the
    ribbon and ran WD Datalifegaurd, it found no errors. It did it several
    times and cycling power fixed it and it worked for a couple days and did it
    again. This time I just hit reset instead of turning off the power hopeing
    that this would allow DLG to find an error code, it did, got error code 0135
    which is a communication time out. Readme said to replace cable which I had
    already done. Went and bought a new drive, installed and worked for 1 day
    and started doing it again on one of my Raid drives. While testing the raid
    drive (0135) I also got a 0135 from the brand new drive. I have all new
    cables coming to replace all the cables in the tower. My next thought is
    the motherboard but its not even three years old and isn't it weird that its
    happening on various IDE controllers?

    Any thoughts out there?

    Glenn

    SBFan2000, Aug 29, 2005

  2. SBFan2000

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Another thought, Could it be the power supply sending out slighting less
    power then it should be? Could that be causing the drives to reset and
    freeze windows? This would explain why the problem is not confined to one
    controller.

    "SBFan2000" <mocaveboyNOSP#> wrote in message
    > About a week ago my primary boot drive made a loud click stopped spinning
    > then would spin back up, this caused windows to freeze. I replaced the
    > ribbon and ran WD Datalifegaurd, it found no errors. It did it several
    > times and cycling power fixed it and it worked for a couple days and did

    it
    > again. This time I just hit reset instead of turning off the power

    hopeing
    > that this would allow DLG to find an error code, it did, got error code

    0135
    > which is a communication time out. Readme said to replace cable which I

    had
    > already done. Went and bought a new drive, installed and worked for 1 day
    > and started doing it again on one of my Raid drives. While testing the

    raid
    > drive (0135) I also got a 0135 from the brand new drive. I have all new
    > cables coming to replace all the cables in the tower. My next thought is
    > the motherboard but its not even three years old and isn't it weird that

    its
    > happening on various IDE controllers?
    >
    > Any thoughts out there?
    >
    > Glenn

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

    SBFan2000, Aug 29, 2005

  3. SBFan2000

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Gigabyte P4Titan533 motherboard, Antec 450w PS, No overclocking. (W2K) I
    have already ordered a new 500wPS and brand new ATA133 cables. Hoping its
    not the motherboard but considering it has happened to three different
    drives over the course of a week. Cycling the power always resets the
    drives. Considering it has happened on three different drives I'm thinking
    its unlikely that two of three of the controllers could have gone bad?
    Checked the current PS with a MM and voltages were fine but they were
    fluxuating under and over alot so hoping thats it.

    Glenn

    SBFan2000, Aug 31, 2005