hard drive migration - turning into a major PITA

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jun 18, 2005.

  1. So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.

    I have so far used Partition Magic 8 and Norton Ghost to copy the boot
    drive over. Ghost has the option of copying the MBR which I took, PM8
    instead reset the computer and did a batch copy job. Nothing mentioned
    about MBR there.

    Alas, alack, I am not getting much joy after I shut down, disconnect the
    old drives and try to boot from the new one.
    After 2 hours of sporadic disk activity it was still sitting on the
    light blue screen without getting any further.

    Tried a repair-install after booting off the CD. Again, very slow
    booting, eventually got to logon screen, tried to log in only to be told
    I need to activate windows since there is some doubt about my license.
    Course, the activation doesn't fsking work, probably because it hasn't
    loaded my firewall yet, or doesn't allow me to see the firewall
    interface to give permission or whatever. Great. I've always known why I
    was such a great fan of all that DRM and activation shite.

    Plugged the old drives back in, re-copied the boot partition. Unplugged
    them.
    Again, the new drive alone won't finish booting. I tried to boot into
    safe mode, but that, also , won't work - it gets stuck on the light blue
    screen again. Nor will it boot into safe mode with command prompt.

    One possible issue might be that Windows allocated the drive letter G to
    what is now the new C partition. But that shouldn't matter booting to
    safe mode, right?!?

    About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.

    Any useful suggestions how this might be solved locally, with software,
    before Monday?

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    >copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.

    You can't copy all the Boot Info, I have tried this many many times.

    Plus in XP there is a Command line repair option to fix up boot problems, yes
    I have used it, after fixing up 98SE on a dual boot system, as I used a
    DOS SYS C: and a MBR Format, this stuffs up XP..

    I did a search for Dual boot problems and found a good article on how to fix
    it all.

    If it can help I will try and find the article if it helps.

    Do a search on Google..

    Tony, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    > telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    > and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.

    Phone activation is automated, last time I did it. (Didn't work, though :)

    -=rjh=-, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Peter Huebner

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Peter Huebner wrote:
    > So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    > copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.
    >
    > I have so far used Partition Magic 8 and Norton Ghost to copy the boot
    > drive over. Ghost has the option of copying the MBR which I took, PM8
    > instead reset the computer and did a batch copy job. Nothing mentioned
    > about MBR there.
    >
    > Alas, alack, I am not getting much joy after I shut down, disconnect the
    > old drives and try to boot from the new one.
    > After 2 hours of sporadic disk activity it was still sitting on the
    > light blue screen without getting any further.
    >
    > Tried a repair-install after booting off the CD. Again, very slow
    > booting, eventually got to logon screen, tried to log in only to be told
    > I need to activate windows since there is some doubt about my license.
    > Course, the activation doesn't fsking work, probably because it hasn't
    > loaded my firewall yet, or doesn't allow me to see the firewall
    > interface to give permission or whatever. Great. I've always known why I
    > was such a great fan of all that DRM and activation shite.
    >
    > Plugged the old drives back in, re-copied the boot partition. Unplugged
    > them.
    > Again, the new drive alone won't finish booting. I tried to boot into
    > safe mode, but that, also , won't work - it gets stuck on the light blue
    > screen again. Nor will it boot into safe mode with command prompt.
    >
    > One possible issue might be that Windows allocated the drive letter G to
    > what is now the new C partition. But that shouldn't matter booting to
    > safe mode, right?!?
    >
    > About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    > telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    > and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.
    >
    > Any useful suggestions how this might be solved locally, with software,
    > before Monday?
    >
    > -Peter

    You havn't moved from PATA (IDE) to SATA have you?
    If so it can be a real PITA to get it working.

    Otherwise if you can get to recovery console a fixmbr might help.

    COD

    ChrisOD, Jun 18, 2005
  5. On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    >telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    >and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.

    From memory I think it's 0800 676 334. You talk to a computer.
    Generally when you ask for phone activation on-screen it asks you your
    country then provides the number. Takes about 5 minutes.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jun 18, 2005
  6. Peter Huebner

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:24:23 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Peter Huebner wrote:
    >

    >> About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    >> telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    >> and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.

    >Phone activation is automated, last time I did it. (Didn't work, though :)

    I have used it at 3AM Local time..

    Tony, Jun 18, 2005
  7. Peter Huebner

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:32:48 +1200, ChrisOD <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    >> copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.
    >>
    >> I have so far used Partition Magic 8 and Norton Ghost to copy the boot
    >> drive over. Ghost has the option of copying the MBR which I took, PM8
    >> instead reset the computer and did a batch copy job. Nothing mentioned
    >> about MBR there.
    >>
    >> Alas, alack, I am not getting much joy after I shut down, disconnect the
    >> old drives and try to boot from the new one.
    >> After 2 hours of sporadic disk activity it was still sitting on the
    >> light blue screen without getting any further.
    >>
    >> Tried a repair-install after booting off the CD. Again, very slow
    >> booting, eventually got to logon screen, tried to log in only to be told
    >> I need to activate windows since there is some doubt about my license.
    >> Course, the activation doesn't fsking work, probably because it hasn't
    >> loaded my firewall yet, or doesn't allow me to see the firewall
    >> interface to give permission or whatever. Great. I've always known why I
    >> was such a great fan of all that DRM and activation shite.
    >>
    >> Plugged the old drives back in, re-copied the boot partition. Unplugged
    >> them.
    >> Again, the new drive alone won't finish booting. I tried to boot into
    >> safe mode, but that, also , won't work - it gets stuck on the light blue
    >> screen again. Nor will it boot into safe mode with command prompt.
    >>
    >> One possible issue might be that Windows allocated the drive letter G to
    >> what is now the new C partition. But that shouldn't matter booting to
    >> safe mode, right?!?
    >>
    >> About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    >> telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    >> and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.
    >>
    >> Any useful suggestions how this might be solved locally, with software,
    >> before Monday?
    >>
    >> -Peter

    >You havn't moved from PATA (IDE) to SATA have you?
    >If so it can be a real PITA to get it working.
    >
    >Otherwise if you can get to recovery console a fixmbr might help.
    >
    >COD

    The MBR is not the same as he is using a different drive so that is the way
    to fix it..

    Tony, Jun 18, 2005
  8. Peter Huebner

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:00:12 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton" <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    >>telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    >>and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.

    >From memory I think it's 0800 676 334. You talk to a computer.
    >Generally when you ask for phone activation on-screen it asks you your
    >country then provides the number. Takes about 5 minutes.

    You can talk to a person as well.

    Tony, Jun 18, 2005
  9. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    > copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.

    5 Partitions ??? I'd have had a 5 gig C: and the rest as d:.

    Nothing more annoying than running out of room on one of those partitions 6
    months from now while the others are each only 50% full...

    > I have so far used Partition Magic 8 and Norton Ghost to copy the boot
    > drive over. Ghost has the option of copying the MBR which I took, PM8
    > instead reset the computer and did a batch copy job. Nothing mentioned
    > about MBR there.

    Asking for trouble.

    What you should have done is used ghost to clone the WHOLE DRIVE over to
    the new one, and then used PM to resize the partitions.

    > Alas, alack, I am not getting much joy after I shut down, disconnect the
    > old drives and try to boot from the new one.
    > After 2 hours of sporadic disk activity it was still sitting on the
    > light blue screen without getting any further.

    That's right: it's looking for c:, which is no longer there.

    No, NTFS does NOT work like DOS with drive letters. Nor should it.

    > Tried a repair-install after booting off the CD. Again, very slow
    > booting, eventually got to logon screen, tried to log in only to be told
    > I need to activate windows since there is some doubt about my license.

    Yup. Still looking for c:, AND windows has detected the new drive hence
    activation.

    Gates is satan's love child.

    > Course, the activation doesn't fsking work, probably because it hasn't
    > loaded my firewall yet, or doesn't allow me to see the firewall
    > interface to give permission or whatever. Great. I've always known why I
    > was such a great fan of all that DRM and activation shite.

    > Plugged the old drives back in, re-copied the boot partition. Unplugged
    > them.
    > Again, the new drive alone won't finish booting. I tried to boot into
    > safe mode, but that, also , won't work - it gets stuck on the light blue
    > screen again. Nor will it boot into safe mode with command prompt.

    No, and all these problems are due to the same thing:

    The drive letter.

    > One possible issue might be that Windows allocated the drive letter G to
    > what is now the new C partition. But that shouldn't matter booting to
    > safe mode, right?!?

    Umm. Yes, it will...

    > About the only thing I can see is to do a repair install again, and try
    > telephone activation. Except I have no idea what the (phone)number is
    > and of course they won't be there on the weekend anyhow.

    Telephone activation will not save you.

    > Any useful suggestions how this might be solved locally, with software,
    > before Monday?

    Yes.

    1. Install the 250 as the master drive on the primary controller. Put the
    old boot drive as the slave.

    2. Boot into ghost. Select to clone the WHOLE fucking (old) DRIVE,
    partition table, mbr, the whole thing - to the 250. From DOS. Not windows.

    3. Let it rip.

    4. Turn off the machine. Unplug the old drive.

    5. Restart. Boot from the 250. Verify it's all ok.

    6. Use partition magic to resize the partitions.

    The old drive can still be used. Use PM to wipe it, or atleast change the
    partition letters on it to avoid conflicts in windows.

    If that does not work, do it the hard way:
    1. Remove all drives except your 250 gig, set the 250 to be the primary
    master.
    2. Boot your windows XP install CD and delete all partitions from the 250.
    Then make ONE partition, say 5 gigs, and install windows to it. If you do
    this properly it should be c:. Make sure it is the master drive on the
    primary controller.
    3. Boot into windows. Use it's drive management app to partition the rest
    of your drive.
    4. Turn machine off. Set the old drive to anything BUT primary master.
    5. re-start the machine, boot into your new windows. Copy all your wanted
    files OFF the old drive and onto the new with windows.
    6. Install your apps.
    7. Verify everything is ok. THEN wipe your old drive for re-use/sale.

    Notes: FDISK has nothing to do with it. At all. At no point should fdisk
    code touch any of your ntfs drives.
    PM has been known to regularly **** up NTFS. So try to avoid it.
    NTFS does drive lettering differently to DOS. DOS did it in a stupid way.
    You WILL need to re-activate it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    75154 +(3477)- [X]

    <Galactic> you know what's ALWAYS bothered me? cold cereal mascots
    <Galactic> I mean that is just some FUCKED UP SHIT
    <Galactic> the Trix rabbit, for example
    <Galactic> I dunno man... if I were him I'd be fucking KILLING some kids
    <Galactic> I remember a commercial where the fuckin rabbit WENT INTO A
    FUCKIN STORE AND BOUGHT A BOX OF TRIX WITH HIS OWN FUCKIN MONEY.
    <Galactic> fuckin kids came outta NOWHERE and basically fuckin mug the
    poor stupid bitch rabbit
    <Galactic> "silly rabbit Trix are for kids"
    <Galactic> Fuckin rabbit just sits there and looks depressed.
    <Galactic> **** NO that wouldn't fly with me
    <Galactic> I'd have pimp-slapped EVERY ONE OF those fuckin bitches
    <Galactic> and made them go get me the REST of a "complete breakfast" and
    eat Trix right in front of them bitches and THEN beat the shit out of them
    some more.
    <Galactic> and wtf is with the disguises? All the dumb rabbit does is hide
    his ears and all of a sudden he's a fuckin kid?
    <Galactic> I dunno about you, but if I SAW a 6 foot fuckin RABBIT with his
    ears tucked under a baseball cap, I wouldn't immediately think
    <Galactic> "Hey, there's a cool lookin human kid, let me go over and share
    some of my cereal with him"
    <Galactic> NO.
    <Galactic> I'd be thinking
    <Galactic> "that's a 6 foot fuckin RABBIT with his ears tucked under a
    baseball cap... what the **** was I just smoking?"
    <Galactic> another thing... wtf is up with cereal being "A part of this
    complete breakfast"
    <Galactic> last time -I- checked, cereal WAS breakfast
    <Galactic> they show a big ass bowl of frosted flakes next to a waffle, a
    pancake, toast, a banana, a fuckin grapefruit... who the **** eats a
    breakfast that big
    <Flaming_Duck> not me
    <Flaming Duck> I don't even EAT breakfast nomore
    <Flaming_Duck> I mean, I eat when I get up
    <Flaming_Duck> but the whole thought "BREAKFAST IS ONLY SERVED UNTIL SUCH
    AND SUCH TIME"
    <FLaming_Suck> bitch, you make my fucking sausage and egg sandwich when I
    pay you the fucking money
    <Flaming_Duck> don't give me that shit.
    <Galactic> Back to stupid cereal mascots...
    <Galactic> Lucky Charms.
    <Galactic> FUCKING LUCKY CHARMS
    <Galactic> Lucky can turn the fucking MOON into a marshmallow, and he
    can't escape a bunch of fucking 6 year olds?!?!?
    <Galactic> C'mon now, Lucky.
    <Galactic> I KNOW your bitch ass has got to have a "Blow the fucking kids
    up" spell SOMEWHERE
    <Galactic> or make "kid marshamllows" and EAT those bitches.
    <Galactic> "They're after me Lucky Charms!"
    <Galactic> ....
    <Galactic> KILL THEM, BITCH!
    <Galactic> I dunno why I went off on this rant here
    <Galactic> it's just always bothered me."

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/06/2005 2:18:40 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 18, 2005
  10. Peter Huebner

    thing Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >

    >>So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    >>copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.

    > You can't copy all the Boot Info, I have tried this many many times.

    Really........an advantage Linux has over MS then.

    > Plus in XP there is a Command line repair option to fix up boot problems, yes
    > I have used it, after fixing up 98SE on a dual boot system, as I used a
    > DOS SYS C: and a MBR Format, this stuffs up XP..

    ho, ho such a great OS you have there.....

    > I did a search for Dual boot problems and found a good article on how to fix
    > it all.

    Use XPs boot loader to load 98, its certainly easy to do on win2k & 98.

    > If it can help I will try and find the article if it helps.
    >

    > Do a search on Google..

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 18, 2005
  11. Peter Huebner

    Mercury Guest

    If your old windows partition was G: then either the new partition must be
    g; or you need to fix it.
    If you change windows partition drive letter you will break many things that
    wrongly record the drive letter in paths. Within windows (non server
    versions), it uses %systemdrive%, %systemroot% etc to make these mappings
    dynamic, but there are always cases where this rule has not been followed -
    EG 3rd party apps etc etc etc. (With server versions, there is some security
    to ensure that someone cannot pinch and use a backup easily).

    There is an MS KB article on how to fix this - that will get windows going
    but is likely to leave a big mess for user world apps. So I would not
    recommend this. It requires a regedit.

    My advice would be to fdisk the new drive and move existing C partition then
    D partition etc in order making sure that you do all the partition creates
    and moves in 1 clean sequence. EG if you create partition C then D then
    delete C then recreate C then D will/may be C and C will be E - well, thats
    how you get drive letters stuffed up...

    This may leave you with a stuffed MBR / boot config. You can fix that off
    the windows CD easily - on the first menu for windows install, you don't
    select the 1st option and select later the option to fix the boot config.
    You can fix it with a stock repair install, but that will require you to
    reapply service packs and critical updates too so is overkill (and
    re-register).

    If the net affect of the drive change is only the drive change then you
    should not be prompted to reactivate if all is done correctly - but if it
    does require it, don't worry about it & just do it.

    HTH

    Mercury, Jun 19, 2005
  12. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions
    >> and copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.

    > 5 Partitions ??? I'd have had a 5 gig C: and the rest as d:.

    This is what I did, but then had to re-size it to 8GB. I like to put certain
    apps on the C: drive, apps like AV etc. 8GB isn't too big to back-up.

    <snip some valid comments>

    > Yes.
    >
    > 1. Install the 250 as the master drive on the primary controller. Put
    > the old boot drive as the slave.
    >
    > 2. Boot into ghost. Select to clone the WHOLE fucking (old) DRIVE,
    > partition table, mbr, the whole thing - to the 250. From DOS. Not
    > windows.

    Here I differ. I would install the 250 as a slave, make a partition on it
    the same size, or slightly bigger than the old C: drive, then copy C: to
    that with ghost. (Leave the rest of the drive unallocated for now. Then the
    old C: drive can be removed, the new one put in it's place and other drive's
    contents copied over to partitions created within XP. Always worked for me,
    reactivation not required.

    Otherwise excellent advice. I just differ on the methodology. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 19, 2005
  13. Peter Huebner

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:31:55 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >If your old windows partition was G: then either the new partition must be
    >g; or you need to fix it.

    The boot.ini file tell XP ware is it..

    Tony, Jun 19, 2005
  14. Peter Huebner

    Mercury Guest

    Tony wrote the following:

    > The boot.ini file tell XP ware is it..

    There is more to XP than just its own boot loader, kernel and a swag of
    device drivers. There are numerous subsystems, file paths, services,
    optional programs, recently used file lists, shortcuts, then special folders
    to name a few. Add to that installed s/w with registered classes pointing to
    G:\... and nothing much will work unless it is reinstalled - or the drive
    letter reverted.

    So are you trying to tell the world that since the path to windows - which
    will be wrong if the partition has moved ordinal position on the HDD - is in
    the boot.ini, that all the above issues with software that has to date
    recorded "g:\...somepath..." in numerous places including the registry, that
    somehow this gets magically fixed? It doesn't unless everywhere a path to
    the system drive is recorded is recorded as %systemdrive%\some-path. Simply,
    this does not happen unless the s/w doing this is part of windows itself...
    Even then, 3rd party drivers are prone to not following the rules esp. if
    they are not WHQL'd.

    Drive letters are an abstraction of the physical storage. Not the other way
    around. Move the physical storage and you break the abstraction. Most of the
    time this is easy to fix (assign a drive letter) however for an OS disc this
    is usually not the case.

    Mercury, Jun 19, 2005
  15. Peter Huebner

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:41:43 +1200, Tony wrote:

    > The boot.ini file tell XP ware is it..

    There is so much wrong with that string of words that it can hardly be
    called an English sentence!

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 19, 2005
  16. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:02:30 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> 5 Partitions ??? I'd have had a 5 gig C: and the rest as d:.

    > This is what I did, but then had to re-size it to 8GB. I like to put certain
    > apps on the C: drive, apps like AV etc. 8GB isn't too big to back-up.

    8gb is ok. I will allow it ;)

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> 1. Install the 250 as the master drive on the primary controller. Put
    >> the old boot drive as the slave.
    >>
    >> 2. Boot into ghost. Select to clone the WHOLE fucking (old) DRIVE,
    >> partition table, mbr, the whole thing - to the 250. From DOS. Not
    >> windows.

    > Here I differ. I would install the 250 as a slave, make a partition on it
    > the same size, or slightly bigger than the old C: drive, then copy C: to
    > that with ghost. (Leave the rest of the drive unallocated for now. Then the
    > old C: drive can be removed, the new one put in it's place and other drive's
    > contents copied over to partitions created within XP. Always worked for me,
    > reactivation not required.

    This did not work when Peter tried it.

    When you did it, were you using proper NTFS drives or partitions converted
    from original DOS ones ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    334331 +(4902)- [X]

    <LordChewy> so my dad found my porn folder
    <LordChewy> and he was getting all pissed
    <LordChewy> so its all like "does this surprise you? i'm not stupid you
    know"
    <LordChewy> "i know dad"
    <LordChewy> "what do you have to say for yourself?"
    <LordChewy> at this point i stare at him straight in the eyes and say
    "C:Documents and SettingsRickyMy Documentsfaxessent faxes"
    <LordChewy> and he just shut up
    <kingKahn> what is it?
    <LordChewy> its his porn folder

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/06/2005 6:11:50 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 19, 2005
  17. Peter Huebner

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:41:43 +1200, Tony <> says...
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:31:55 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:
    >
    > >If your old windows partition was G: then either the new partition must be
    > >g; or you need to fix it.

    > The boot.ini file tell XP ware is it..

    Correct and it uses ARC format for XP
    e.g.
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot.ini

    Rob J, Jun 19, 2005
  18. Peter Huebner

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:37:14 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> says...
    > So I finally got that 250 Gb drive, divvied it up into 5 partitions and
    > copied all my existing drives into the appropriate places.
    >
    > I have so far used Partition Magic 8 and Norton Ghost to copy the boot
    > drive over. Ghost has the option of copying the MBR which I took, PM8
    > instead reset the computer and did a batch copy job. Nothing mentioned
    > about MBR there.
    >
    > Alas, alack, I am not getting much joy after I shut down, disconnect the
    > old drives and try to boot from the new one.
    > After 2 hours of sporadic disk activity it was still sitting on the
    > light blue screen without getting any further.

    Why five partitions. What do you gain by this?

    Ghost will have no trouble at all if you just ghost the old drive and
    load the image onto the new one. Try that.

    Rob J, Jun 19, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    am says...

    > Why five partitions. What do you gain by this?

    I am collating 3 drives with a total of 7 partitions. 3 of those I am
    amalgamating since they're mostly archived files plus the mail drive
    which goes by its sharename anyway (as far as the server is concernet)
    and not by drive letter. The other partitions are there to preserve
    paths in software. I can't be shagged to go through all my software with
    a fine toothed comb and reset all the paths for working directories et
    cetera.

    > Ghost will have no trouble at all if you just ghost the old drive and
    > load the image onto the new one. Try that.

    My situation with Ghost is a bit embarrasing. I bought it 'new' via
    trademe, as part of Norton Sysworks Premier. It's legit, no probs,
    activates fine. Should've had a separate boot CD with it for Ghost, but
    didn't. The seller claims never to've heard about the separate boot disk
    and I cannot really refute him since I've seen quite a few complaints on
    webforums that people bought the same software package and didn't get
    the boot CD in the box.
    One guy said he took it back to the shop and they opened every box on
    the shelf and none had the boot CD. Go figure. So one thing I cannot do
    with my bloody 'Ghost' is to burn a disk image and restore it from the
    'recovery environment'.
    Haven't been able to find an .iso of that disk; not that I've looked all
    THAT hard. Doesn't seem to be on Symantec's site anyhow.

    I'll see if I can find another way around that drive letter problem.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 19, 2005
  20. Peter Huebner

    Tim Guest

    Now..... when a person shuffles the partitions on the disc, the arc paths
    are wrong or did you forget that?
    Then add in to the mix that the drive letters may have been changed and the
    flow on consequences for installed apps, registry values etc and you have
    quite a mess.

    arc paths are the least of the problems as they can be fixed automatically.

    some handy commands:

    msconfig
    bootcfg

    msconfig can automatically fix some errors in a stuffed up boot.ini. If you
    wish to manually edit it you can with notepad, but an easier and less error
    prone way is to use msconfig or bootcfg from the command line. MSConfig is
    the preferred way for non-experts these days.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 19, 2005