    "D". This can't be changed under Administrative Tools. Anybody have any
    ideas how to reassign the correct letters without doing another clean
    install?
    Paul J. Veres, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Paul J. Veres wrote:

    > When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard drive the
    > letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the letter "C" instead of
    > "D". This can't be changed under Administrative Tools. Anybody have any
    > ideas how to reassign the correct letters without doing another clean
    > install?

    If it truly can't be changed then your only option is a clean install.
    But frankly I'm pretty sure that it can be changed-but I don't have an
    XP system available here to check it on.

    In Win2K I need to right-click on the partition to get the 'Change Drive
    Letter & Path' option. Are you sure that you're checking the right place
    when you say that it can't be changed?
    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Paul J. Veres

    Night_Seer Guest

    Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    > Paul J. Veres wrote:
    >
    >> When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard
    >> drive the letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the
    >> letter "C" instead of "D". This can't be changed under
    >> Administrative Tools. Anybody have any ideas how to reassign the
    >> correct letters without doing another clean install?
    >>

    > If it truly can't be changed then your only option is a clean install.
    > But frankly I'm pretty sure that it can be changed-but I don't have an
    > XP system available here to check it on.
    >
    > In Win2K I need to right-click on the partition to get the 'Change
    > Drive Letter & Path' option. Are you sure that you're checking the
    > right place when you say that it can't be changed?

    No the system drive cannot be changed without re-installing. My
    suggestion for the next install would be to not plug in any hard drives
    but the one used for Windows. Unplug them all (you can leave them in
    the case), and install windows, once everything is set up (and it should
    have C as the main drive now) then you can plug back in all the extra
    stuff, and assign any drive letters you want.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Paul J. Veres

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > No the system drive cannot be changed without re-installing. My
    > suggestion for the next install would be to not plug in any hard drives
    > but the one used for Windows. Unplug them all (you can leave them in
    > the case), and install windows, once everything is set up (and it should
    > have C as the main drive now) then you can plug back in all the extra
    > stuff, and assign any drive letters you want.

    This is true. I saw this happen during one of my classes. We have
    removable drives, mine had 2000 Professional on one partition, Linux, and
    2000 Server at the end. 2000 Server is "E:", and that can't be changed, as
    it is the system drive.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Paul J. Veres

    Thor Guest

    Reinstall XP, formatting the drive first, and make sure you DO NOT have the
    old c: drive connected when you first boot the system to XP. After you have
    XP fully installed, and up and running, then shut down and connect the old
    drive. The problem is that the XP install saw the old drive and it doesn't
    like to change the letter designation when it sees an existing C: drive,
    even if you are installing XP on the primary drive and the old drive is the
    secondary during the installation. You have to get XP up and running first,
    then connect the old drive to prevent that behavior. It happened to me
    before.

    Thor, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Paul J. Veres

    Ken Williams Guest

    Take a look at:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

    I'm not sure if it'll work for your situation, but I've had to do similiar in
    the past, but under different circumstances.

    Good luck,
    Ken Williams

    (Remove .zz when replying.)

    Ken Williams, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Night_Seer wrote:

    > Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    >
    >>Paul J. Veres wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard
    >>>drive the letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the
    >>>letter "C" instead of "D". This can't be changed under
    >>>Administrative Tools. Anybody have any ideas how to reassign the
    >>>correct letters without doing another clean install?
    >>>

    >>If it truly can't be changed then your only option is a clean install.
    >>But frankly I'm pretty sure that it can be changed-but I don't have an
    >>XP system available here to check it on.
    >>
    >>In Win2K I need to right-click on the partition to get the 'Change
    >>Drive Letter & Path' option. Are you sure that you're checking the
    >>right place when you say that it can't be changed?

    > No the system drive cannot be changed without re-installing. My
    > suggestion for the next install would be to not plug in any hard drives
    > but the one used for Windows. Unplug them all (you can leave them in
    > the case), and install windows, once everything is set up (and it should
    > have C as the main drive now) then you can plug back in all the extra
    > stuff, and assign any drive letters you want.

    Damn! I keep forgetting that exception. And, naturally, every time I
    test this I choose a secondary drive to check it on. (Why would I screw
    up my production system by changing the boot drive?)
    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 26, 2004
  8. Paul J. Veres

    Night_Seer Guest

    Ken Williams wrote:
    > Take a look at:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188
    >
    > I'm not sure if it'll work for your situation, but I've had to do
    > similiar in the past, but under different circumstances.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Ken Williams
    >
    > (Remove .zz when replying.)
    >
    > "Paul J. Veres" wrote:
    >
    >> When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard
    >> drive the letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the
    >> letter "C" instead of "D". This can't be changed under
    >> Administrative Tools. Anybody have any ideas how to reassign the
    >> correct letters without doing another clean install?

    Keep in mind that doing something like this, AFTER installing programs
    to the Windows D: drive, will screw up all the programs you just
    installed, and might screw up windows programs. Your better off
    re-installing.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 26, 2004