    Michael

    South Shields
    , Aug 22, 2005

  2. Donald Guest

    yes

    Donald, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Harrison Guest

    On 22 Aug 2005 12:25:06 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
    >changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
    >previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
    >be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
    >if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
    >only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
    >file tables..???
    >have i got any or all of this wrong...
    >would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????
    >
    >Thanks inadvance
    >
    >Michael
    >
    >South Shields

    Let XP format the new drive with NTFS.
    If you are keeping the 20 gb drives, convert them to NTFS as well.
    Use convert.exe as described in the last section of this article.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

    Addressing the size issues, please see here:
    http://tinyurl.com/css33
    Harrison, Aug 22, 2005
  4. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
    > changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
    > previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
    > be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
    > if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
    > only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
    > file tables..???
    > have i got any or all of this wrong...
    > would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????

    NTFS is the preferred way to install XP...
    so that's the thing to do.
    a 120gig drive partitioned as 116g is normal
    philo, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
    >changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
    >previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
    >be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
    >if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
    >only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
    >file tables..???
    >have i got any or all of this wrong...
    >would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????
    >
    >Thanks inadvance

    Windows XP will not format hard drives larger than 32 gb for FAT32.
    Anything larger has to be NTFS or it has to be partitioned and
    formatted by some other means (e.g. a Windows Me or Windows 98 SE boot
    disk).

    Windows XP will, however, use FAT32 partitions larger than 32 gb
    without problems.

    The difference between the manufacturer's rated capacity for your hard
    drive and the value reported by Windows is because the manufacturer
    rates the capacity using decimal values (1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000
    bytes) whereas Windows reports disk and file sizes in terms of binary
    gigabytes (1 gigabyte = 10^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes).

    You can mix and match FAT32 and NTFS drives as you see fit on Windows
    XP and it will not affect performance or accessibility. You can also
    convert the FAT32 drives to NTFS using the CONVERT utility that comes
    with Windows XP. However read the article by the late MVP Alex Nichol
    at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm before doing so as there is
    a cluster size issue that could be a concern.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks for all of the replies..
    very helpful...will be messing around with tables 2nite...so ecpect
    more questions in the morning.. ha ha
    Regards
    Michael
    , Aug 23, 2005